The Student Room Group

As a uni student, how much is it normal to have saved?

Just curious
i've got about 5000
although a lot of that is unspent maintenance loan...
Reply 2
Original post by neckbite
i've got about 5000
although a lot of that is unspent maintenance loan...

same, i'm trying to save all my maintenance loan other than paying rent (I get max :biggrin:) and just spend the money from my weekend job day to day
Original post by spicyoo
same, i'm trying to save all my maintenance loan other than paying rent (I get max :biggrin:) and just spend the money from my weekend job day to day

im not gonna take loan next year cos the interest is insane tho
Reply 4

I'm in a useless degree so i've just accepted I won't ever pay it anyway
like 99 quid🤡

Then you don't understand how student loans work - the interest rate is largely irrelevant. I recommend you read the following article before you make the decision not to apply for student finance:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-2023/
Original post by normaw
Then you don't understand how student loans work - the interest rate is largely irrelevant. I recommend you read the following article before you make the decision not to apply for student finance:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-2023/

i have don't worry. i understand the repayment process and repaying threshhold income, but i intend to pay off the loan quite soon after university, not have it racking up interest for like 20 years. i understand the way you repay the loan makes it more like a tax than a typical loan, but seeing as i plan to pay it off, there's no point taking more than i need and having to pay the interest on that too
Original post by spicyoo
Just curious

Theres no "normal" amount to have saved. Everyones circumstances are different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending