The Student Room Group

Edexcel geography B Rural Developments in Uganda DME *Official*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sidney1
Is the 9 marker really that predictable?
I have received mixed messages about it, some people have said it could be anything about the options some say it will be asking for the best one...:confused:

You are right to be cautious. The front of the Uganda booklet says this(pg2):

'You will be asked to discuss these options in the examination. Do not just choose which one is best and ignore the rest. The examination could ask why you support or reject one or more.'

Therefore although it has always been the same previously, it would be unwise to not prepare for other cases, such as the worst option.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by blahblahblahxo
hey guys i've got a question, what does figure 3 on page 5 show, what significance does it have?, struggling on what to say :/ please help?

I also do not know what it shows. I assume they are transnational corporations trying to advertise or something.
Reply 42
Original post by emilycornish
Also what would you say if it asked you to describe the location of Uganda on the map?

Hey :
You can say the following; i looked at past papers at the dme answers and mark schemes; the follwoing should be fine:
Describe the Location of Uganda:
Describe the Location of Uganda:
· East Africa
· North of lake Victoria
Adjacent to Sudan or any other country, etc
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by stardude8
Thank you very much for all the help!

One last question, which I wasn't sure how to approach:

Explain why Uganda can be described as a developing country (6)

I am not sure what to do with this question or how to structure a response. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Well i'd say structure it with three different points (if you can think of three) and explain them all quite well, otherwise do two but a lot of explanation. I'd write something like this:

Uganda could be described as a developing country due to the large population which live in rural areas, as 87% of the total population live in rural areas of the country. This being the case, they would also have mostly jobs in agriculture, where 82% of the population are employed, which is a key part of the Primary economy and a trend in many developing countries as they are unable to open up many factories or service jobs. Their GDP per capita is also good indication of their developing status, as it is $1300 in PPP which if that were in the UK or US then it would barely get you through a month, and very much less than what the UK and US's GDP is, and as it is so low it can show us how the majority of people in the country cannot get by well enough in a year and struggle, showing a developing country as the people do not earn enough money the the moment but are trying to break their cycle of poverty and develop. The age-sex structure of the Population Pyramid (figure 5) shows how Uganda on a whole has a very large base where there is a very high birth rate, and a short and small top end, showing a low life expectancy and a higher death rate. These show us together how Uganda could fit into stage 1 of the demographic transition model, showing a developing country, as they would have a high mortality rate (62.5 per 1000) which gives them a higher birth rate to make up for it (47.5 per 1000), and also the lack of medicine gives it it's high death rate (11/9 per 1000) all of which show us that it is in a high fluctuation stage and is currently developing to get better medical care to give it a better and higher life expectancy.

So that's a little long and i think i went off on a tangent at some parts, but include some points and data to back up your answer and it'll be fine :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by fryerdah69
I also do not know what it shows. I assume they are transnational corporations trying to advertise or something.

I think it just shows that for communicating you have to go into these type of phone boxes/shops and talk-lack of communication contriubtes to its rural isolation and thus trades/access and comunication with the outside world is difficult; but i honestly do not hink this will come in the exam guys;
probably populaiton pyramid and other graphs :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Well i'd say structure it with three different points (if you can think of three) and explain them all quite well, otherwise do two but a lot of explanation. I'd write something like this:

Uganda could be described as a developing country due to the large population which live in rural areas, as 87% of the total population live in rural areas of the country. This being the case, they would also have mostly jobs in agriculture, where 82% of the population are employed, which is a key part of the Primary economy and a trend in many developing countries as they are unable to open up many factories or service jobs. Their GDP per capita is also good indication of their developing status, as it is $1300 in PPP which if that were in the UK or US then it would barely get you through a month, and very much less than what the UK and US's GDP is, and as it is so low it can show us how the majority of people in the country cannot get by well enough in a year and struggle, showing a developing country as the people do not earn enough money the the moment but are trying to break their cycle of poverty and develop. The age-sex structure of the Population Pyramid (figure 5) shows how Uganda on a whole has a very large base where there is a very high birth rate, and a short and small top end, showing a low life expectancy and a higher death rate. These show us together how Uganda could fit into stage 1 of the demographic transition model, showing a developing country, as they would have a high mortality rate (62.5 per 1000) which gives them a higher birth rate to make up for it (47.5 per 1000), and also the lack of medicine gives it it's high death rate (11/9 per 1000) all of which show us that it is in a high fluctuation stage and is currently developing to get better medical care to give it a better and higher life expectancy.

So that's a little long and i think i went off on a tangent at some parts, but include some points and data to back up your answer and it'll be fine :smile:

I wrote this :smile:

Low GDp-1300 US dollars per capita- 82 % large population in primary industry of farming-only generates 22.5% of GDP-most farmers do subsistence farming; not cash crops-low incomes-stuck in cycle of poverty- remaing 18% in secondary/teriatry industry-preindustrial stage in urban areas.Little urbanisation, most people live in small homes and have small holdings and small areas of farmland-so mostly subsitence farming and few commercial farms.
Exports less than imports- good worth 2.2 billion exported and imported 4.3 billion dollars, cannot afford this, puts country in debt; imports secondary materials/manufactured materials- not a secondary industry.
Without money , without investors, neglect from regional/national government, power based in governmental areas, low distribution costs, high consumers marker-traders and investors are based in urban areas, so large population lives in rural areas-less likely to benefit entire population of Uganda-remain less developed.
Poor transport connectivity/poor communication-cannot connect with people outside, less likely to develop; isolated in many areas-tarde is difficult as well.
Low HDI score of 0.45 and high infant mortality rate suggests-low levels of health care/vaccinations/treatments- lack of money- less developed.
Lack of urban areas in Northern Uganda/rapidly growing population-less family planning/contraception-women have high fertility rate-low levels of education/illiteracy/ traditional roles in being mothers-gender inequalities/divide/high birth rate
Original post by blahblahblahxo
hey guys i've got a question, what does figure 3 on page 5 show, what significance does it have?, struggling on what to say :/ please help?

Original post by fryerdah69

Well i assume that figure 3 shows how all the shops of any communication and anythign really are all located in the same place, which we may not find in other countries due to the competition of the same kinds of shops, but i thought that it could be the case because all the imports would arrive in one location as they do not have many good ways of transporting the goods later with limited vehicles, so it would be easiest to set up near a prime loaction where most of the imports come regulary or could be near a centre of shopping areas, where others go to find decent goods to buy, as this would help define an area's shopping facilities as otherwise they would be very spread out and possibly not gain as much business. Also perhaps there are not many Telephone Masts in the country, and so one of few places to get a telephone signal would be in this area, being a good location to set up telephone shops, as you may not even get a signal for many miles afterwards.

All my ideas are rather stretched and possibly inaccurate, but there you go anyhow.
Reply 47
Good Luck to Everybody in the Unit 3 Exam Tomorrow!:smile:

I think that option 2 is the best because it encompasses the best benefits for the Kaujogera village.

-Yes, its fair to say that that Primary industry only provides 22% of the Ugandan economy but economists Clarke and Fisher said that for a country to develop it must go through industrialization and Primary industry is the first step to that.
-It is also important to consider the future and know that people in Uganda need to learn to be financially independent and make their own money not just receive aid from others.
-Option 2 helps farmers break the cycle of poverty and send their children to school to be educated about aids thus lowering the level of people with aids.
-Schools will also teach children the impacts of deforestation and eutrophication which are both key problems that arise from this option.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
I was looking at past paers, for example one question asked why the area was isolated/remote,etc
1 mark for saying something like rurally isoalted, far from other areas/settlements/cities/towns
then a mark for saying that long distances traveled
then a mark for saying poor transport connectvies,etc

So not a lot of detail is required! :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by sidney1
Is the 9 marker really that predictable?
I have received mixed messages about it, some people have said it could be anything about the options some say it will be asking for the best one...:confused:

I'm in year 10, and I also did the DME last year in year 9...I have noticed that it's always the same 'what is the best option' or 'what is the worst option' I've also done past papers, and it seems to be the same thing.
Don't worry..I think this year's paper will be pretty easy..I'm feeling really optimistic this year :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Prof Dumbledore

Thank you very much. This makes much more sense in my mind now. Already repped you, would rep again if I could :smile:
These would be my three points:
-87% in rural areas, so primary sector employment prevalent in which less money is made.
-wide base of pop. pyramid, so high fertility rate, because mothers are having more children to support agricultural work and to guarantee support for them in their old age because of their own poverty.
-thin top of pop. pyramid because of low life expectancy, suggesting a lack of education about disease prevention, due to lack of schooling.

Thanks again.
Reply 51
Hey everyone I am really strugglin with the MDG's:
How would you guys answer if they asked soemthing like
Asses the success of the MDg goals so far and how liekly they are to be achieved?

Any help woudl be great :smile:
Reply 52
Thank you very much. This makes much more sense in my mind now. Already repped you, would rep again if I could :smile:
-87% in rural areas, so primary sector employment prevalent in which less money is made.
-wide base of pop. pyramid, so high fertility rate, because mothers are having more children to support agricultural work and to guarantee support for them in their old age because of their own poverty.
-thin top of pop. pyramid because of low life expectancy, suggesting a lack of education about disease prevention, due to lack of schooling.

Thanks again.

State that agricultural work is in the primary sector which is a typical feature of a developing country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Becare guys if the question in section c..says rural Uganda my teacher specfically stressed that we only talk about rural Uganda from our mock feedback!
Good luck to everyone, hope everyuone gets the grades they want :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by bukhari
Becare guys if the question in section c..says rural Uganda my teacher specfically stressed that we only talk about rural Uganda from our mock feedback!

True! The questions may even change a little. They may ask to choose an option that will benefit a certain type of people and stuff...
Reply 55
Original post by bukhari

And vice-versa: if it comes up with a question on Kabujogera, your answer must speak about Kabujogera only.
Reply 56
Yep When i meant rural Ugand, i meant Kabujogera :smile:)...though I think the question will deal with Kabujogera as the booklet deals with this in a signifcant amount of detail
Reply 57
Both Uganda and Kabujogera are dealt with at the same level of detail, with Uganda slightly more so because there is always nationwide data but only sometimes local data. Last year questions came up on both the specific area of Newham and the wider area of East London (last year was the London Olympics), so best to revise both and not have a guessing policy, although you may favour one over the other.
Reply 58
I have attached a word document running through each figure and a brief description of it..:smile:

Thanks again.

You're welcome :smile: Haha well thank you, i'm glad you appreciate it!

Yeah those points are really good, i'm not sure i personally would do two points on the population pyramid, but you can of course! Do you have any other questions? I'd be happy to answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending