The Student Room Group

Edexcel and AQA

I am a little confused, I'm revising for gcse english paper 2 Edexcel but there is conflicting info on the contents, I noticed that my teachers told me that paper 2 is Contemporary texts, and there is a writing section(story writing like describing stuff from image ) in it, this writing section does not exist anywhere on YouTube, because they say its part of paper 1, I did paper one and there was no fiction, but my teachers are saying paper 2 has fiction and I don't see anyone doing it. I don't know what to revise because my teacher and online sources have conflicting info.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Cindyana
I am a little confused, I'm revising for gcse english paper 2 Edexcel but there is conflicting info on the contents, I noticed that my teachers told me that paper 2 is Contemporary texts, and there is a writing section(story writing like describing stuff from image ) in it, this writing section does not exist anywhere on YouTube, because they say its part of paper 1, I did paper one and there was no fiction, but my teachers are saying paper 2 has fiction and I don't see anyone doing it. I don't know what to revise because my teacher and online sources have conflicting info.

After checking the official specification, I've noticed that Edexcel has to Language courses: a new 2.0 course and one from 2015, both of which are continuing.
Considering the 2.0 spec, paper 2 has:
Section A: Reading
Short and open-response questions on two thematically linked, unseen fiction and literary non-fiction extracts.
Assesses AO1, AO2 and AO3.
Section B: Writing
Choice of two writing tasks that require an extended response from students.
Assesses AO5 and AO6.

Of the two writing tasks for it, they are anything fictional, e.g. write an imaginative piece... Or write about a time, real or fake, when ...
Paper 2 for the 2.0 language is for contemporary texts, so it sounds like you're doing this exam. I'd recommend asking your teachers.

The reason you probably can't find much info on YouTube is because nigh on all of the videos will be for Language 1.0. In the old spec for this, fiction was in paper 1:
Overview of content
Study selections from a range of prose fiction.
Develop skills to analyse and evaluate 19th-century fiction extracts.
Develop imaginative writing skills to engage the reader.
Use spelling, punctuation and grammar accurately.
As you can see, one of the main assessments in paper 1 is for fiction. The reason the videos said that its in paper 1 is because it was: however it sounds like you're definitely doing Language 2.0, so it's different. As said, the newness means that there's no YouTube videos for it, or they're overshadowed by the ones for the old spec.

To put it more concisely, you're doing Language 2.0 which started in 2021 ish. The videos are all for an old specification for Language. Your teachers aren't wrong, you're just doing a different exam. Hope that helps! Best of luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest