The Student Room Group

Poll on Feminism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Playing anti-fem bingo with me again? :mmm:

This needs "feminism = fascism" :lol:
Original post by ArtGoblin
This needs "feminism = fascism" :lol:

I've seen that so many times :tongue: Such a predictable response.
I'll try and find the stats, but I say that on stats I've read before.

Such stats go on CONVICTIONS, no?

Not necessarily. That's an assumption. She might be, but you also get people who dress like that who aren't. Why is she more likely to claim false rape? Even if she was more up for sex, why would she be inclined to lie about it?

Let's be realistic. ON AVERAGE, girls who dress in certain ways, are more "up for it", than girls who dress more conservatively; with as many female friends and relatives as I've got, I feel very confident in making a connection, even though the correlation isn't perfect.

A girl who has had sex AT ALL, is more likely to make a false accusation than one who hasn't, for reasons such as guilt, regret and drunken confusion, whereby she barely even knows for certain herself, if consent was or wasn't given. Therefore, there is likely a link, slight or otherwise, between the two things.

It is horrendous. It isn't fair. I really do not see the relevance of judging someone by what they're wearing in this way

It is horrendous and unfair when GENUINE victims have to go through this, yes. But there's a difference between saying "you dressed like this, you deserved to be raped", and saying "we need to examine all the details, before making a verdict. What were you wearing?".

Something may have certain horrendous implications for some women, but it doesn't automatically make it the product of a misogynistic legal system.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
1) Nothing. I'm not disagreeing with that
So squares 1) and 7) are fine then?

2 How? Why could someone's sexual history be relevant? If someone;s into casual sex, and is raped, should they be disbelieved because of it? It would be appropriate to ask any questions about where she was, what she did, her version, anything that contradicts. Just not about what she wears or sexual history.

For example, if she'd done similar before, a juror might decide there's a decent chance it happened again but this time she regretted it for some reason that the defence would try and ascertain. Perhaps if she was into casual sex going back to people's houses but had been raped in a car, then that difference might help secure a conviction. It would depend on the case, and the jurors involved. They do have bearing on how believable the accuser's story is, be it if it is in contrast with their previous behaviour, shedding light on possible motives for going out that night (for example) and so on. In some cases it might not be relevant, but to chuck it out of all cases doesn't seem sensible to me - it might make the trial less unpleasant (it's always going to be unpleasant) for a victim but I imagine it'd make it a lot tougher to get a conviction.
I'm a first & second wave feminist, but I think third wave feminism is largely a load of *******s.
Reply 85
Original post by Únie
I am very fed up with how sexist I feel the general atmosphere we live in is these days

Are you suggesting it was less sexist in the past? :erm:
Original post by Tabzqt
Are you suggesting it was less sexist in the past? :erm:

In the recent past, yes I am. The recession has really exacerbated it (along with homophobia and racism). Popular culture has gone through a series of metamorphoses and is now reverting to a more sexist phase. When my parents were my age, government policy was more sexist than it is now, because people held sexist values and justified them as 'traditional'. At that time there was a reasonably widespread popular movement towards gender equality - condemning the objectification of women and challenging the rigid definitions of gender roles. That trend has reversed to a noticeable extent and in my opinion, that has largely to do with the fact that what is presented to us depends on who can pay the most. Who can pay the most are large companies wanting to sell things. The target group for selling things to is now everyone, from newborn babies to dead people. Objectification of women is a fantastic way to sell things, as is the Victorian model of gender roles. A huge amount of sexualised advertising and t.v. etc. is now seen by young children and so lots more young boys are growing up thinking it's super funny to tell a girl to get back in the kitchen or discuss her body as one might talk about livestock. That's all fine now. Young girls are growing up with some chronic role models, and the way they LOOK is strikingly sexualised and homogenised. The culture of lazy sexism is stripping them of the confidence to be individuals. It's really hard not to get sucked in my all this ****. I'm an active feminist and I have to consciously stop myself saying sexist things sometimes because you just hear this stuff around you all the time. This is not paranoia. If you think that what you are shown in films, on t.v., in magazines, in songs etc. doesn't affect your behaviour you are either admirably self-aware or just naïve.

(sorry, didn't realise how much I wrote...) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Únie
Objectification of women is a fantastic way to sell things, as is the Victorian model of gender roles. A huge amount of sexualised advertising and t.v. etc. is now seen by young children and so lots more young boys are growing up thinking it's super funny to tell a girl to get back in the kitchen or discuss her body as one might talk about livestock. That's all fine now.

I think you'll find a huge amount of "man-bashing" in advertisements, too, whereby men are portrayed as buffoons, often directly being shown as being outsmarted by women, and female-male violence is glorified (think, girl kicks guys in the nuts).
Reply 88
Original post by Únie
In the recent past, yes I am. The recession has really exacerbated it (along with homophobia and racism). Popular culture has gone through a series of metamorphoses and is now reverting to a more sexist phase. When my parents were my age, government policy was more sexist than it is now, because people held sexist values and justified them as 'traditional'. At that time there was a reasonably widespread popular movement towards gender equality - condemning the objectification of women and challenging the rigid definitions of gender roles. That trend has reversed to a noticeable extent and in my opinion, that has largely to do with the fact that what is presented to us depends on who can pay the most. Who can pay the most are large companies wanting to sell things. The target group for selling things to is now everyone, from newborn babies to dead people. Objectification of women is a fantastic way to sell things, as is the Victorian model of gender roles. A huge amount of sexualised advertising and t.v. etc. is now seen by young children and so lots more young boys are growing up thinking it's super funny to tell a girl to get back in the kitchen or discuss her body as one might talk about livestock. That's all fine now. Young girls are growing up with some chronic role models, and the way they LOOK is strikingly sexualised and homogenised. The culture of lazy sexism is stripping them of the confidence to be individuals. It's really hard not to get sucked in my all this ****. I'm an active feminist and I have to consciously stop myself saying sexist things sometimes because you just hear this stuff around you all the time. This is not paranoia. If you think that what you are shown in films, on t.v., in magazines, in songs etc. doesn't affect your behaviour you are either admirably self-aware or just naïve.

(sorry, didn't realise how much I wrote...) :smile:

Personally, I don't think things like sexualised advertising are necessarily bad.
In 1990 rape within marriage was still legal. Clearly things have improved, even recently.
Original post by truffle_girl
I think you'll find a huge amount of "man-bashing" in advertisements, too, whereby men are portrayed as buffoons, often directly being shown as being outsmarted by women, and female-male violence is glorified (think, girl kicks guys in the nuts).

That's sexism too. That's as negative a thing to see.
Original post by Tabzqt
Personally, I don't think things like sexualised advertising are necessarily bad.
In 1990 rape within marriage was still legal. Clearly things have improved, even recently.

I did say government policy on gender and sexual equality is much better now, obviously it is. Sexualised advertising is damaging because now we see more advertising EVERYWHERE than at any other time in history, and the audience has been extended to kids to the extent that it changes (negatively) the way they think about themselves and interact.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
Nice to see a large amount of guys say they're not feminists.

The quicker this farce dies the happier the world will be. Still a long way to go but logic and rationale will prevail in the end and it'll be upto men; the gatekeepers of logic to bring about the demise of feminism,
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by Únie
Sexualised advertising is damaging because now we see more advertising EVERYWHERE than at any other time in history, and the audience has been extended to kids to the extend that it changes (negatively) the way they think about themselves and interact.

Can I have some evidence for these claims? How can you quantify how society has been negatively affected by this kind of advertising? Also I don't see many adverts sexualising children :erm: there may be the odd one, but they are widely criticised (rightly so) and usually quickly removed.
Original post by Únie
That's sexism too. That's as negative a thing to see.

So why focus only on that which is sexist against women? Also, are men not sexualised, too? I agree that men tend to sexualise women more (while women use men for money more), but I see plenty of topless, muscular men, adorned with big biceps and six-packs (and am most definitely not complaining, on this front :smile:) in the media. I can't say that, these days, I see a HUGE difference, when it comes to the extent to which men and women will be shown scantily-clad.
Reply 94
So why focus only on that which is sexist against women? Also, are men not sexualised, too? I agree that men tend to sexualise women more (while women use men for money more), but I see plenty of topless, muscular men, adorned with big biceps and six-packs (and am most definitely not complaining, on this front :smile:) in the media. I can't say that, these days, I see a HUGE difference, when it comes to the extent to which men and women will be shown scantily-clad.

Well obviously. It's a marketing technique. What do you think will lead to more sales: an attractive model or an unattractive one? I don't think it will ever fade away.

It is also worth noting that male sexuality is more than just looks. Power, status and money are to man what boobs and a pretty face are to a woman.

If you include the objectification of men with regard to things like power, status and money then you would probably find equal degrees of objectification of men and women.
Feminist!!! :smile: x
If you define feminism as equal rights and civil liberties for women and men, and equal opportunity, regardless of gender, then yes, I am a feminist.

If you define feminism as equality of outcomes for women who fail to reach the standards set by men, placing limits on the civil liberties of men and women to prevent upset to such 'feminists', desperate attempts to turn everything into a gender issue when it self evidently isn't, going on about 'patriarchy' and demanding positive discrimination - which is legally enforced sexism - then no, I am not a feminist.

The top definition has been reached.
The bottom has mostly not and never should be, and any steps towards it should be reversed.
I've seen that so many times :tongue: Such a predictable response.

It's like, they both begin with 'f' and end in 'ism' - they must be the same.

If I seemed to be saying I think it's worse to be sexist against women, that was not my intention. Misandry is just as bad. Little girls seeing all this and thinking it's some kind of "girl-power" positive thing to be sexist to males, is a big problem too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending