The Student Room Group

Empty personal statement

I am sure there are plenty of threads on here with people who have no experience/hobbies that relate to their course and I am one of them.
I am interested in applying for a degree in civil engineering but I have no work experience in that area and no hobbies that relate to it.
I know a lot of people would say "Just write what drew you to that subject" but I was drawn to engineering not because I want to re-design the world my way or because when I was seven I asked my Dad how a building stood up and he didn't know so I had to research it myself but because there is a large demand for jobs in engineering so there are jobs with good pay and security, I had very little idea of what I wanted to do in my live so I picked a direction that seemed logical.
I do have a part time job but I simply cannot right about what I have learnt from it like teamwork etc. because I work on my own for several hours until a my Dad arrives in a van we load up some stuff and leave.
I have always worked hard at school and since I have started college I have worked hard to ensure I got good grades (I took physics, maths, chemistry and biology) but it turns out that grades nowadays counts for a lot less then they used to, I have always been an academic but university want a lot more than A's.
What do I do?!?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I think its important that you try and fine some work experience in the field, not only to include in your personal statement, but also to make sure that its a job you actually want to do! Being a civil engineer, you are going to have to be able to work in teams, so is there anything that you have been involved in that demonstrates this? Qualities such as leadership, good communication skills will also be important. Like you said, good grades are necessary but you need to show what you can bring to the table. You could consider a gap year to develop your skills etc and choose a course you want to do (not just to get a job with good pay)
I know this isnt very relevant but I recieved a volunteering opportunity where I have to guide groups of people around and show them around a building. It is volunteering after all but I dont see what skills I could say ive gained from the experience? Im thinking of doing medicine or chemical engineering, please help!
I know this isnt very relevant but I recieved a volunteering opportunity where I have to guide groups of people around and show them around a building. It is volunteering after all but I dont see what skills I could say ive gained from the experience? Im thinking of doing medicine or chemical engineering, please help!
Reply 4
Original post by Land-based mammal
The story will leave some of you incredulous but it will enlighten a few and If I touch at least just one person then I know I have made a difference my story is moving and yet at times can make you feel as though I am living in a thriller, my story as descended into nightmarish depths that you can't imagine. It started in 2011 me and my sister were full of hopes and energy we became politicised and devoured left leaning papers such as the guardian however an innocent curiosity led us down the path of conspiracies. We became fascinated with the dark side whatching videos on the occult and the "Illuminati" it became apparent that my fascination with the "Illuminati" went further than expected of a politicized young adult I came close to rallying protests I sympathised with Muslims suffering abroad and also those at home being oppresses by the governments of the west. I harbored many home made theories about the Illuminati and governments of the west I was so deeply absorbed that I would make predictions about their next move and was always proved right. My main concern was with the water and fluoridation in poor areas in England one theory that the government readily admitted under the banner of dental health. I quickly realised that there was some thing in this and started shopping in areas where there was a larger professional population and not working class. It was at this point that "they" started blocking my Internet browsing and closing the videos I watched. They then moved onto following me they would follow me in broad daylight taking numerous pictures of me, (this is the part that will leave you incredulous) they then went on to giving me brain damage (through micro-wave energy I think, I've done some research) I was exhausted . The experience left me frazzled and confused I was on the advise of my mother and sister was taken to the emergency room where the doctor diagnosed me as schizophrenic, they forced me to take pills, I thought it was innocent but little did I know that the social worker and some of the nurses caring for me worked for this secret society some of them even called me by my Amazon name slyly , which is private and it was impossible to know that other revealed some family secrets to me which was impossible for them to know at the time. The medication they gave me is giving me accelerated brain damage especially in my frontal lobe, I'm now in a place where I might not be able to go on with my studies because of the extensive brain damage I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy. I now also hear voices which I think is from jinns that are working with the people doing all of this. They tell me to drop out of uni, and they tell me that they will kill me soon, they tell me not to enter society and to become a couch potato, I have restless night contemplating my future and how brain damage they want me to become. I am suffering extensively and living in misery. No one I tell this to believes me they brush it off as the ranting of a schizophrenic not even my own family. I hope God hears my prays and stops them finally.

That is interesting but this is
1. not the religion/society forums
2. extremely irrelevant
to the OP's situation
(edited 10 years ago)
opening line... say some eye catching (possibly exaggerate a bit)

then write about the course:

read a book or two (but actually READ it) then reference bits you found interesting (use a book related to course not just the hobbit or something :tongue:)

add a related quote (I used Tim Minchin for mine :eek: it worked though)

add what you want to do after the course - i.e further education then what MSc or PHD? what field i.e if your in medicine do you want to be a GP or pediatric physician?

it is usually great to add why your interested in something but if you cant think why then use why its logical i.e the skills you have that make it logical so if you where doing history of art mention your good at history and art, reference your previous study in areas that link to the course

good luck
i'm exactly in the same situation as you. Maybe try joining a sports team at school - that would demonstrate teamwork skills. I know it's ridiculous but unis want to see that you are passionate about the subject and know what it involves and even though you haven't personally been fascinated about how a building stood up as a child it would not be a bad idea to put something soppy like that in your personal statement. I am not telling you to lie because that's a huge risk but a lot of things people put in their personal statements about what drew them to the subject is a load of bullsh*t and honesty won't help you sell yourself to the admissions tutor sadly.

I have nothing to put on my personal statement either, I only have 2 weeks work experience in a pharmacy from year10 work experience organised by my school. I am the laziest person in the world and even though I am really academic and have good grades I stayed away from extracurricular activities at school and I don't do sports and i'm not a member of any clubs. It sucks that unis pay so much attention to trivial stuff like that. I told myself i'm going to try and join a club and do some volunteering this summer to make my personal statement look less sh*t but so far i've been lazing around not doing anything.

My advice is try and do something out of school and try and relate the skills you gained from it to your course even if it is a load of crap. And even though you know your part time job doesn't involve any teamwork you could still say it does because who will know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending