The Student Room Group

Cambridge Philosophy Admissions test

Hi, how is everyone revising for the admission test? Ive been invited to interview and now need to sit the test, however, ive done 6 practise papers now just for the multiple choice qs and the highest ive gotten is 10/16! How is everyone finding it? Also how are you practising for the essay part?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theo.brighton06
Hi, how is everyone revising for the admission test? Ive been invited to interview and now need to sit the test, however, ive done 6 practise papers now just for the multiple choice qs and the highest ive gotten is 10/16! How is everyone finding it? Also how are you practising for the essay part?

Hi,
I am in the same position - I have just been doing lots of the past papers, although usually don't get higher than 11/16. They become much easier once you practise them lots. I've done one practice essay but should probably do more, not sure how to prepare for them really as it seems they could ask it about anything.

Any tips on the essay would be appreciated - I am very lost on it.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,
I am in the same position - I have just been doing lots of the past papers, although usually don't get higher than 11/16. They become much easier once you practise them lots. I've done one practice essay but should probably do more, not sure how to prepare for them really as it seems they could ask it about anything.

Any tips on the essay would be appreciated - I am very lost on it.

Hi!
Omg! 11 is really good ! I honestly dont know where to start with the essay, however, i would make sure you know the structure you would usually use for your Alevel essays, and understand the format of how you write it etc.
hopefully we both do our best and honestly just make sure you put as much work in now because after Monday, you can forget about it !!
:wink:)
Hi!
Omg! 11 is really good ! I honestly dont know where to start with the essay, however, i would make sure you know the structure you would usually use for your Alevel essays, and understand the format of how you write it etc.
hopefully we both do our best and honestly just make sure you put as much work in now because after Monday, you can forget about it !!
:wink:)

Thanks! Yes I'm sure it will be fine - good luck with the interview as well!
Hi guys, I’ve also applied for philosophy and agree that the logic section is tough

Also, has anybody received a follow up email with more details about the test and moodle login yet?
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi guys, I’ve also applied for philosophy and agree that the logic section is tough

Also, has anybody received a follow up email with more details about the test and moodle login yet?

I have gotten a moodle login with some details if that is what you are asking about. Timing likely varies by college.
Original post by Anonymous #3
I have gotten a moodle login with some details if that is what you are asking about. Timing likely varies by college.

Ah okay thanks! I’ve only received a confirmation so far but not any details
Original post by Anonymous #3

Yeah I'm a bit confused about the Moodle thing, do we just log onto it on Monday and it will be there? Do we have to register or anything?
Yeah I'm a bit confused about the Moodle thing, do we just log onto it on Monday and it will be there? Do we have to register or anything?

They gave me login there in which after I could change my username and password. Then, there is a section which is locked and will be opened when the test starts. If you have any concerns, I would recommend emailing the college - although I am sure your email will come soon.
Do you reckon I should email about not receiving a login yet. I know it probably varies college to college but the test is on Monday and I doubt that they will send anything over the weekend?
Do you reckon I should email about not receiving a login yet. I know it probably varies college to college but the test is on Monday and I doubt that they will send anything over the weekend?

I would.

Yes probably. Which college did you apply to?
Yes probably. Which college did you apply to?

Kings. How about everyone else?
Kings. How about everyone else?

Pembroke.
Reply 14

Hey, how are you marking your logic questions? Because I can barely find any mark schemes anywhere! Also, in terms of the essay, I am literally just going to go with my thoughts - I'm going to use an A Level structure like for my History essays, but I don't think they are expecting really 'academic' content, if that makes sense...

Does anyone know the answer to this question:

6. You are presented with 2 opaque boxes, A and B. They are guarded by
two people: one always tells the truth, one always lies, and you don’t know
which is which. One of them says ‘Box A contains a prize and box B is
empty’. The other says ‘One box contains a prize and the other is empty'.
Which boxes contain prizes?
A. Box A only
B. Box B only
C. Both
D. Neither
E. Not enough information

Any comments welcome!
Original post by Anonymous #4

A. Box A only
B. Box B only
C. Both
D. Neither

Any comments welcome!

The first person cannot be telling the truth, since then person 2 would be lying - which cannot be the case since person 2 says that the prize is only one in box, which is the same as person 1 saying, that it is in A (they just specify which specific box it is in). Therefore person 2 is telling the truth, which means it is box B as person 1 is lying that it is box A, and person 2’s (true) statement says it is in one the boxes, therefore it must be box B.
Original post by ThomasAJWarren
Original post by Anonymous #4

A. Box A only
B. Box B only
C. Both
D. Neither

Any comments welcome!

The first person cannot be telling the truth, since then person 2 would be lying - which cannot be the case since person 2 says that the prize is only one in box, which is the same as person 1 saying, that it is in A (they just specify which specific box it is in). Therefore person 2 is telling the truth, which means it is box B as person 1 is lying that it is box A, and person 2’s (true) statement says it is in one the boxes, therefore it must be box B.

More simply, if the first person is correct then both statements are correct - which cannot be true since it is specified one is lying and one is telling the truth. Therefore, the second person is telling the truth.
With the essays, are you guys planning on using academic works and citing them? On the email it says we have to reference what we use but I was not originally planning on referencing anything, but maybe we are meant to? Might just be my college I'm not sure.
With the essays, are you guys planning on using academic works and citing them? On the email it says we have to reference what we use but I was not originally planning on referencing anything, but maybe we are meant to? Might just be my college I'm not sure.

The college I applied to didn’t mention anything like that in the email they sent me. If your unsure I would recommend emailing them - even on the morning before the test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending