The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theCreator
From what I understand about the whole thing is that the universities which give these really early offers generally give out offers to those who seem like the strongest applicants who are probably applying for more prestigious universities, so the chances that they accept their offer is low hence they can afford to hand out these early offers. I'm sure they have a system so as to value everyone's application equally :smile:

That makes a lot of sense. If it's sent of before the early deadline, they know they're probably applying to Oxford/Cambridge too, and so they will not be their first choice. Hmmm. :tongue:

I am getting a bit bored of waiting to send mine off though now. Hopefully I'll hear back about my PS soon, and then make any changes over half-term, so I can send it off the week we get back. So, end of October, hopefully. :biggrin:
Reply 181
I've started at Oxford now, been here a week and I can't stand it. Really really really just want to leave, I know I should stick it out, but the workload is ridiculous and I'm really not coping. I've felt sick since I've been here, barely eaten anything at all, and I'm pretty sure I'm becoming depressed! Give it some serious consideration before you apply. If freedom is something you're looking for at university, this is not the place for you. Work hours are literally ridiculous, been set work in freshers week (lectures start tomorrow), and I've been working all day every day, into the evenings, like literally no time to breathe. Rerally really concerned that I'm going to have to leave and apply elsewhere next year, hate to say this, but I really wish I hadn't got in. So yeah, just telling you this so you make sure you think about it first. I applied because I got 4 A*'s and I thought that was the natural thing to do. This place sucks for me, I feel trapped and constantly panicky, so yeah just make sure you know what you want, because coming here has just given me more problems to deal with, wish I didn't get in and went to Bristol/Nottingham.
Original post by anna48
I've started at Oxford now, been here a week and I can't stand it. Really really really just want to leave, I know I should stick it out, but the workload is ridiculous and I'm really not coping. I've felt sick since I've been here, barely eaten anything at all, and I'm pretty sure I'm becoming depressed! Give it some serious consideration before you apply. If freedom is something you're looking for at university, this is not the place for you. Work hours are literally ridiculous, been set work in freshers week (lectures start tomorrow), and I've been working all day every day, into the evenings, like literally no time to breathe. Rerally really concerned that I'm going to have to leave and apply elsewhere next year, hate to say this, but I really wish I hadn't got in. So yeah, just telling you this so you make sure you think about it first. I applied because I got 4 A*'s and I thought that was the natural thing to do. This place sucks for me, I feel trapped and constantly panicky, so yeah just make sure you know what you want, because coming here has just given me more problems to deal with, wish I didn't get in and went to Bristol/Nottingham.

Oh ****...How heavy is the workload? You were set work in freshers week ahah wow.

Apart from the workload though, what is it like, is it as good as you thought it would be?
Reply 183
Original post by anna48
x

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough start. I know it's scant consolation, but lots of the other chemists will be feeling exactly the same as you right now. While the workload remains heavy throughout the course, it's still true that the first few weeks are definitely the hardest, when you're doing tute work for lecture courses you haven't had yet and you're still trying to find your feet. It will get better by the end of Michaelmas I was contemplating dropping out and taking up a different subject at a different university, but now I'm in my final year and thinking about carrying on with a DPhil.

Try speaking to some of the second and third year chemists in your college, to find out how much work the tutors really expect you to produce and to find out which (sub)topics are the most important. You should try to find a work pattern that allows you to get enough work done while maintaining some free time to stop you from going mad. Scheduled activities are a great way to break the day up. If you're wondering about whether you have enough time to join a society you spotted at Freshers' Fair, go for it: an extra hour or two of trawling through books will not make a big difference, but taking time out to do something fun can have a really positive effect.

I would say that the most important things to stay on top of are organic and maths. The physical and inorganic topics are more discrete, so you'll be better able to go through these after term to iron out any issues you have with them. (Or even learn them all properly for the first time, as I found myself constantly doing....) However, if you don't get to grips with the organic and maths, you can find yourself falling further behind as there is a greater tendency in first year for later lecture courses to build on earlier ones.

If you don't find that things improve over the next few weeks, you should speak to your tutors and college welfare staff. (I don't know much about your tutors but Steve seemed very approachable, if his lecturing is anything to go by.)
Original post by BJack
I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough start. I know it's scant consolation, but lots of the other chemists will be feeling exactly the same as you right now. While the workload remains heavy throughout the course, it's still true that the first few weeks are definitely the hardest, when you're doing tute work for lecture courses you haven't had yet and you're still trying to find your feet. It will get better by the end of Michaelmas I was contemplating dropping out and taking up a different subject at a different university, but now I'm in my final year and thinking about carrying on with a DPhil.

Try speaking to some of the second and third year chemists in your college, to find out how much work the tutors really expect you to produce and to find out which (sub)topics are the most important. You should try to find a work pattern that allows you to get enough work done while maintaining some free time to stop you from going mad. Scheduled activities are a great way to break the day up. If you're wondering about whether you have enough time to join a society you spotted at Freshers' Fair, go for it: an extra hour or two of trawling through books will not make a big difference, but taking time out to do something fun can have a really positive effect.

I would say that the most important things to stay on top of are organic and maths. The physical and inorganic topics are more discrete, so you'll be better able to go through these after term to iron out any issues you have with them. (Or even learn them all properly for the first time, as I found myself constantly doing....) However, if you don't get to grips with the organic and maths, you can find yourself falling further behind as there is a greater tendency in first year for later lecture courses to build on earlier ones.

If you don't find that things improve over the next few weeks, you should speak to your tutors and college welfare staff. (I don't know much about your tutors but Steve seemed very approachable, if his lecturing is anything to go by.)

As an aside, why don't Oxford let their students go for industrial placements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Original post by Midlander
As an aside, why don't Oxford let their students go for industrial placements?

The general consensus of the faculty is that the Part II year is a vital experience for potential researchers. Tied into this is their continued refusal to consider seriously the possibility of a third-year exit point for people who've had enough after their final exams.
Original post by BJack
The general consensus of the faculty is that the Part II year is a vital experience for potential researchers. Tied into this is their continued refusal to consider seriously the possibility of a third-year exit point for people who've had enough after their final exams.

I thought so-industry rarely take on Oxbridge graduates for this reason. No experience other than academic which isn't great of the department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
My application has been sent!
Applied to Oxford, Imperial, Nottingham and Sheffield for Chemistry and to Warwick for Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry. :redface:
Reply 188
Original post by Midlander
I thought so-industry rarely take on Oxbridge graduates for this reason. No experience other than academic which isn't great of the department.

Are there stats that show Oxford chemistry grads don't end up in industry?
Original post by BJack
Are there stats that show Oxford chemistry grads don't end up in industry?

GSK and Novartis don't tend to go for them, I can't speak for other companies. It isn't surprising when the department puts such heavy emphasis on academia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
Original post by theCreator
Oh ****...How heavy is the workload? You were set work in freshers week ahah wow.

Apart from the workload though, what is it like, is it as good as you thought it would be?

SO MUCH WORK!
I've been working pretty much 9-11/11.30pm most days, and I'm still struggling. Don't really understand anything either, and I'm not getting on with the tutorials either, tend to come out more confused than when I went in. My rooms nice and so are the people, but I can't go out anywhere because there isn't time even at weekends and I'm not coping with all the traditions very well, they're making me feel very uneasy! I'm just incredibly unhappy here and I'm not going to thrive in this environment.
Reply 191
Original post by BJack

Thanks for the advice! Just don't feel like there's any time for extra curriculars and I'm finding the pace CRAZY FAST. Only 3 days into lectiures and I'm completely lost in them. I'm gunna go and talk to someone later in the week but I think a slower paced university might be for me, because I'm just really panicking here and I don't feel I have time to understand anything!
Sorry,I got BBBC (maths, chem, history and C in physics) and I got predicted BBB in chemistry, maths and physics(school won't budge my grades :|). What universities can I apply to? And do you think it's worth while to apply to more than 1 uni higher than my predicted?
Reply 193
Original post by Funtry
Just got into Imperial for Chemistry, and recieved all 5 of my offers (they're in my description) so if you have any questions, ask!

Hi, what were your GCSE's, AS and A-level results?
I am a chemistry applicant and sent off ucas two days ago. Got an email today from York asking for an interview :biggrin: anyone else heard anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ellie_Rosa
I am a chemistry applicant and sent off ucas two days ago. Got an email today from York asking for an interview :biggrin: anyone else heard anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's excellent news! :biggrin:

Hoping to send mine off when we return after half term. Think I'll probably miss York's early-interview-sending-out period. :rolleyes:
anyone heard anything from imperial?
Reply 197
Original post by Nitrogen
anyone heard anything from imperial?

Nope, not even an acknowledgement email. I applied two days ago.
Original post by Gotzz
Nope, not even an acknowledgement email. I applied two days ago.

I know another chemistry applicant who applied two weeks ago and has no response from Imperial. They're also the only university I'm waiting for aswell.
Original post by anna48
Thanks for the advice! Just don't feel like there's any time for extra curriculars and I'm finding the pace CRAZY FAST. Only 3 days into lectiures and I'm completely lost in them. I'm gunna go and talk to someone later in the week but I think a slower paced university might be for me, because I'm just really panicking here and I don't feel I have time to understand anything!

Do they not ease you in from A-level in any way?

Did they recommend stuff to read over summer?

I'm sure they picked you for a reason, if they felt you were not suited for the course they probably wouldn't have given you an offer. So you will probably do well just keep on walking through the mud no matter how thick it gets :smile:

Are there others in your position??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending