The Student Room Group

Not looking forward to uni?

Hi, I'm hopefully studying physics next year at imperial but I'm not excited or looking forward to it like all of my friends are.

I think it's partly to do with the fact I'm not convinced imperial itself will be fun. I have friends who are going to like Nottingham and Leeds (to do less respected degrees) but they're all looking forward to it where as I'm not.

I'm not too excited about meeting new people, not because I'm shy but because I'm expecting the people at uni to be either "lads" or just geeks, boring in general.

I'm not too excited about moving to a new city and having the "independence" as other people are as I pretty much have that already.

I don't think I've made it clear why I'm not looking forward to Uni but basically with my friends they're all like "applied for accommodation! Can't wait to meet new people! Etc etc" and I'm not. Is something wrong? I don't know how to feel about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, people ****ing suck. Uni is what you make it anyway, do what you want to do mang.

Spoiler

You can meet people who will have at least one thing in common with you by joining societies that appeal to you anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by navennn
Hi, I'm hopefully studying physics next year at imperial but I'm not excited or looking forward to it like all of my friends are.

I think it's partly to do with the fact I'm not convinced imperial itself will be fun. I have friends who are going to like Nottingham and Leeds (to do less respected degrees) but they're all looking forward to it where as I'm not.

I'm not too excited about meeting new people, not because I'm shy but because I'm expecting the people at uni to be either "lads" or just geeks, boring in general.

I'm not too excited about moving to a new city and having the "independence" as other people are as I pretty much have that already.

I don't think I've made it clear why I'm not looking forward to Uni but basically with my friends they're all like "applied for accommodation! Can't wait to meet new people! Etc etc" and I'm not. Is something wrong? I don't know how to feel about this

Posted from TSR Mobile

your going to imperial

just remember that and u will be happy, so stop moaning...

i dont know what the people are like there...but i went there for a workshop and the people were nice...they were really smart too
Reply 3
Original post by navennn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm doing Physics at uni and it is awesome :smile: and there are plenty of people who are neither lads nor geeks so don't worry. It's only natural to be a bit scared about moving to a new place with new people. I've heard that the reputation of Imperial being no fun is unsubstantiated by friends who are there :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by navennn

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the same. I'll be going to UCL to do engineering and I fear that the people will be posh and the course will be too hard.
Reply 5
Original post by peter12345
I feel the same. I'll be going to UCL to do engineering and I fear that the people will be posh and the course will be too hard.

Glad to see I'm not the only one (well I'm not glad that you're not happy but you know what I mean)

And to the other people, thanks and what you've all said is reassuring, but I don't have the same feeling as i did for college. I'm happy with the friends I have. I guess I just have to be patient and hope it all turns out fine on the night

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You're going to meet two of my favourite classmates :smile: They are definitely not boring or geeky, they're just really clever and nice. So at least two people on your course will be amazing :smile: Cheer up! You'll be in London and you'll get to shake up your school going routine!
Reply 7
Original post by nopenopenope
No, people ****ing suck. Uni is what you make it anyway, do what you want to do mang.

Spoiler

You can meet people who will have at least one thing in common with you by joining societies that appeal to you anyway.

True dat.
Reply 8
Original post by navennn
Glad to see I'm not the only one (well I'm not glad that you're not happy but you know what I mean)

And to the other people, thanks and what you've all said is reassuring, but I don't have the same feeling as i did for college. I'm happy with the friends I have. I guess I just have to be patient and hope it all turns out fine on the night

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honest to god I was going to decline the offer and go to City or Brunel instead but I decided to stay because of their generous bursary. I wouldn't have had enough money to attend the other two who didn't offer bursaries. Hopefully I'll be motivated by the job at the end.
Reply 9
Original post by Smushy
You're going to meet two of my favourite classmates :smile: They are definitely not boring or geeky, they're just really clever and nice. So at least two people on your course will be amazing :smile: Cheer up! You'll be in London and you'll get to shake up your school going routine!

This basically sums it up
You'll be fine I was on an engineering course (electronic) we were all boys so it could have got a bit laddy but it was actually really cool you'll find the lad culture is a lot less at uni than collage and geeky people the kind that look down on you because your "not clever"like them don't last that long at all.

I found some of the most genuine people ever in my societies and I'm still in contact wit some of them the sports clubs like climbing and skiing are really cool and laied back but at the same time so supportive and friendly it great I mean yes rugby and football do seem very laddish but mostly everyone is really cool and you'll be just fine
They're just as apprehensive as you. Some people just like putting on a brave face.
I agree with electric_ink xx University is so different to coolege its natural to be a bit anxious :smile:
Original post by peter12345
Honest to god I was going to decline the offer and go to City or Brunel instead but I decided to stay because of their generous bursary. I wouldn't have had enough money to attend the other two who didn't offer bursaries. Hopefully I'll be motivated by the job at the end.

Brunel do offer bursaries & i know how you feel mate. I had a offers from kings, cass business and Aston (unconditional offers i already have the grades)... However i am going brunel.

Kings:- no placement year
Cass business:- Great uni too many foreigners & the environment is just not for me.
Aston:- Too far

Brunel business course content is understandable and easier :biggrin:
In good place and great environment.

Thats how i feel about it i will rather get a 1st from brunel than 2.1/2.2 from Cass business.

A employer will be attracted to top uni graduate, but if you haven't achieved the grades there will be a problem.

however cheer up, London city is great i live here and the city will make up for it.

@ Navenn
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending