The Student Room Group

How to calm down anxiety from moving to a univeristy away from London?

Hey, I need some advice on how to calm myself down before I move. This is such a big thing for me and it' been making me a little anxious about moving.
Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I need some advice on how to calm myself down before I move. This is such a big thing for me and it' been making me a little anxious about moving.
Any advice?

Hi there

I totally empathise with you- I've been in your shoes before. Here's my advice:

First of all, you need to be at peace with the decision of moving away. It might be difficult and anxiety-inducing right now but you have to be sure that moving to uni away from London is what you want to do. Once you've made peace with this thought, you'll feel much calmer. Some meditation and yoga can be helpful for relieving stress and so can scented candles. I saw this really nice advice on TSR earlier- fill your room with a fragrance (either through scented candles or just a room freshener) and carry that same fragrance with you to your uni dorm. When your dorm smells the same way, it would give you a feeling of home. It's also helpful to create some expectations around uni life and the experiences you can get there- the thought of doing fun stuff will generate excitement and you'll look more forward to moving. You can check out something extracurricular you're interested in (like sports, music, theatre, societies of your choice) or see what your uni is planning for freshers' week cus it's really fun. Do this in moderation though- you wouldn't wanna get disappointed if something doesn't meet your expectations.

Here's some extra general advice that may help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/hive-articles/to-all-the-incoming-freshers

Hope you enjoy your time <3

-Himieka
My advice to you is to prepare as much as possible for your move. Make sure you are organised with packing, saying farewells, changing your address, logistics for the move itself. Look into activities/groups that are going on at your new university that you can get involved in so there is something for you to look forward to. There will be some anxiety no matter what; leaving a place where you have deep roots is no small undertaking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending