The Student Room Group

Getting sim card for spare phone

Hi all

I'm going abroad in just under 7 weeks time and I'm not keen at all on taking my new Blackberry, so may take my old Blackberry Torch just in case I need it. I'm on O2, how do I go about getting a new card/sticking some credit on it, sounds really daft I know!

Does anyone here take phones abroad? Last couple of trips I've done have been solo, so taken my phone for the music on, bit of tweeting etc when I get bored, but this time going with my best mate, so don't know whether to bother even taking my old phone?!
Original post by ChapelTom
Hi all

I'm going abroad in just under 7 weeks time and I'm not keen at all on taking my new Blackberry, so may take my old Blackberry Torch just in case I need it. I'm on O2, how do I go about getting a new card/sticking some credit on it, sounds really daft I know!

Does anyone here take phones abroad? Last couple of trips I've done have been solo, so taken my phone for the music on, bit of tweeting etc when I get bored, but this time going with my best mate, so don't know whether to bother even taking my old phone?!

I've subbed to this thread because I've wondered about getting another sim card for my old Blackberry for the same reason and wondered if you can do it if both phones are/were contracts rather than pay and go. I have taken mine abroad often but only use it to email people, which is free, rather than call them as it costs a lot on top of your current contract. I'm interested to know what people say about it.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I've subbed to this thread because I've wondered about getting another sim card for my old Blackberry for the same reason and wondered if you can do it if both phones are/were contracts rather than pay and go. I have taken mine abroad often but only use it to email people, which is free, rather than call them as it costs a lot on top of your current contract. I'm interested to know what people say about it.

My old Blackberry has just come off a contract, and my new contract is on my new phone, definitely won't take it as I'll still have to pay the phone cost off about £500 and buy a new one, another £500, be costly few days away if I had it nicked!

I may not bother, as our hostel has free internet access but nice to know anyway.
My old Blackberry has just come off a contract, and my new contract is on my new phone, definitely won't take it as I'll still have to pay the phone cost off about £500 and buy a new one, another £500, be costly few days away if I had it nicked!

I may not bother, as our hostel has free internet access but nice to know anyway.

We're obviously on very different contracts as I got mine as a free upgrade when I renewed my contract, so I've had no costs in that way. I just have an unused phone with no sim card and it seems a waste.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
We're obviously on very different contracts as I got mine as a free upgrade when I renewed my contract, so I've had no costs in that way. I just have an unused phone with no sim card and it seems a waste.

I think I'm paying £28 a month x 24, 1GB of data and unlimited texts/calls, and that includes that cost of the phone, so its not a bad deal at all, Q10s aren't cheap to start with.
I think I'm paying £28 a month x 24, 1GB of data and unlimited texts/calls, and that includes that cost of the phone, so its not a bad deal at all, Q10s aren't cheap to start with.

Mine's only a basic model, so £15 and more texts/minutes than I will ever use is fine for me. I don't use it for anything except texting and emailing and I don't know what most of the buttons do anyway. :redface:
Go to the O2 website, order a PAYG sim and bung a tenner on it before you leave.

I take my phone when I go abroad, regardless of who I'm with. I rarely end up using it - it's mainly for emergencies or if me and the person I'm with get split up. It's worth taking one just to have that option IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending