The Student Room Group

ASAP HELP NEEDED: My phone got stolen, can i tell police where the phone may be?

Find my iPhone has shown its at a house. can i tell police that it is presumably at that house? And is find my iPhone coordinates rather exact? because it shows it at a house (offline, of course). They must have removed the sim there.
Reply 1
yelp
Yes it means that the police don't have to search for it. Do not go there yourself as it could put you in danger. Try to find as much proof that it is your phone as you can so the thieves can't claim it is their phone.
Reply 3
Original post by FlameKitty
Yes it means that the police don't have to search for it. Do not go there yourself as it could put you in danger. Try to find as much proof that it is your phone as you can so the thieves can't claim it is their phone.

thank you! Will they really search that house? its offline, and been hours now. the people there may pretend to not have it right?
Yes tell them. Theyll have to investigate.
Original post by Sheperd23
thank you! Will they really search that house? its offline, and been hours now. the people there may pretend to not have it right?

Phones can be traced using GPS so they should be able to track it without it having a connection. Most devices will hold deleted data for a certain length of time (usually at least a few days) so the police should be able to restore anything the thieves have tried to delete. All devices have unique IP addresses which can be used to trace when a device was connected to an internet access point.
Phones can be traced using GPS so they should be able to track it without it having a connection. Most devices will hold deleted data for a certain length of time (usually at least a few days) so the police should be able to restore anything the thieves have tried to delete. All devices have unique IP addresses which can be used to trace when a device was connected to an internet access point.

GPS doesn't do a lot of good if the phone is off and/or sim removed. I think you're also thinking of a MAC address, most IPs are dynamic, not unique.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
GPS doesn't do a lot of good if the phone is off and/or sim removed. I think you're also thinking of a MAC address, most IPs are dynamic, not unique.

Yeah thats why i was kinda doubtful! But can they track using the IMEI number?
But thank you FlameKitty! I will give in the presumed location soon
Yeah thats why i was kinda doubtful! But can they track using the IMEI number?
But thank you FlameKitty! I will give in the presumed location soon

Dunno about IMEI, my memory is hazy, but think they were more important pre smartphones , I think it was more a serial number....the MAC address is the bit any network device needs and prob more useful to track.

TBH I don't know exactly how police can now track phones, but i suspect they know they're stuff, assuming a phone has battery/sim they're capable of switching it on remotely to track it anyway, and that was a decade ago.

I really am going from vague memory here tbh, someone more tech minded might say i'm talking utter crap *shrug* Best to just ask the police themselves what they can do...there will be questions about how it was stolen and why it's taken time for you to report it though.
Find my iPhone has shown its at a house. can i tell police that it is presumably at that house? And is find my iPhone coordinates rather exact? because it shows it at a house (offline, of course). They must have removed the sim there.
Hi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending