The Student Room Group

The McDonalds Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Sorry for the double posy
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 581
Literally just been sent on break by our temp manager... Apparently it's too dead to have 4 tills open. And he's just sent someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shorty94
so what happened at Pitsea Mcdonalds last night then?

**** went down, I was in shift till two this morning, and at half four two guys with screwdrivers threatened our manager, and robbed nearly a grand! I feel so sorry for our manager!
Reply 583
Hey, I'm a new employee in Mcdonalds and ive only done 2 shifts, I just have a quick question. When, as a cashier, you order someones food, how do the cooks in the kitchen know when to cook it? Do you call over and say or does it come up on the computer?

Its probably obvious to you, but I haven't been told!
Original post by joereed
Hey, I'm a new employee in Mcdonalds and ive only done 2 shifts, I just have a quick question. When, as a cashier, you order someones food, how do the cooks in the kitchen know when to cook it? Do you call over and say or does it come up on the computer?

It depends, if it's beef, it will be already in production, and if it's chicken, the computer system tells chicken side to make it!
Original post by joereed

It depends what they order really as you'll have a screen in the kitchen on chicken side where they'll them make the order as they'll have all the chicken cooked and put into the UHC (Uniform heating cabinet I think it stands for) to make sure it's all fresh when they eat it. If they order a normal item from the grill side, so regulars, cheese burgers, double cheese, big mac, quarters and the promotional item then there should be someone on production who keeps track of the food kept in the production bin which can be held for 10 minutes before throwing away but usually if you get a grill order so one that isn't the normal item then you could shout it over however they should receive a sticker for each grill that is ordered so theoretically you wouldn't need to shout them over. That being said its always best to make sure they know about it for your peace of mind really :smile:
Original post by joereed

Original post by MathsNerd1
It depends what they order really as you'll have a screen in the kitchen on chicken side where they'll them make the order as they'll have all the chicken cooked and put into the UHC (Uniform heating cabinet I think it stands for) to make sure it's all fresh when they eat it. If they order a normal item from the grill side, so regulars, cheese burgers, double cheese, big mac, quarters and the promotional item then there should be someone on production who keeps track of the food kept in the production bin which can be held for 10 minutes before throwing away but usually if you get a grill order so one that isn't the normal item then you could shout it over however they should receive a sticker for each grill that is ordered so theoretically you wouldn't need to shout them over. That being said its always best to make sure they know about it for your peace of mind really :smile:

Yeah, please do shout the special orders out! At busy times, there's *** loads of stickers coming through, with a lot of them being cancelled orders or the cashier putting the wrong thing on, so it makes things run a hell of a lot more smoothly if you let the kitchen staff know
Original post by MrSupernova
Yeah, please do shout the special orders out! At busy times, there's **** loads of stickers coming through, with a lot of them being cancelled orders or the cashier putting the wrong thing on, so it makes things run a hell of a lot more smoothly if you let the kitchen staff know

Yeah I'm quite aware of the scenario as I'm mainly working in the kitchen so always like to know what I need to cook as a special order before I put anything down, however in our store they make two people in the kitchen wear the headsets so they can hear any grills that come through the drive thru when they're being ordered to make sure that they're ready for the customer when they get to the bottom window.
Yeah I'm quite aware of the scenario as I'm mainly working in the kitchen so always like to know what I need to cook as a special order before I put anything down, however in our store they make two people in the kitchen wear the headsets so they can hear any grills that come through the drive thru when they're being ordered to make sure that they're ready for the customer when they get to the bottom window.

Just making sure the new person knew, don't want them picking up bad habits :P +The headset thing actually sounds like a very good idea, might ask if we can start doing that...
Reply 589

Thank-you so just to clear up:

chicken - they will know from the screen and you just get it when its ready

grill - how do they know im still a bit confused? do they have a screen? or do they just cook whatever isn't on the rack?
Reply 590
Just making sure the new person knew, don't want them picking up bad habits :P +The headset thing actually sounds like a very good idea, might ask if we can start doing that...

thank-you!

so basically you would suggest just calling over any meals that you've had orders for? and always call out special orders e.g no ketchup?

That's understandable :tongue: And yeah but we'll only ever do it during GAP hours to make sure we can get those perfect GAP visits which we've been able to have 7 CSO's in a row at 0% with a few being the 100%'s too :biggrin: It might be down to the fact we got the chicken times down to below 30 seconds with 4 people on the side :tongue:
Original post by joereed
Thank-you so just to clear up:

chicken - they will know from the screen and you just get it when its ready

grill - how do they know im still a bit confused? do they have a screen? or do they just cook whatever isn't on the rack?

Yeah chicken will have a screen to know what to cook and you'll collect them from production and with grill you should have someone on production who will maintain a certain level of normal food so you'd just pick up what you need but if its a special order then you'd just make sure the grill staff are aware of what the grill is so you know its on its way. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 593
That's understandable :tongue: And yeah but we'll only ever do it during GAP hours to make sure we can get those perfect GAP visits which we've been able to have 7 CSO's in a row at 0% with a few being the 100%'s too :biggrin: It might be down to the fact we got the chicken times down to below 30 seconds with 4 people on the side :tongue:

I hate to intrude, but I know what the GAP is a little bit, but could you explain a little more about it? how would you know and what to do etc.
Reply 594
Yeah chicken will have a screen to know what to cook and you'll collect them from production and with grill you should have someone on production who will maintain a certain level of normal food so you'd just pick up what you need but if its a special order then you'd just make sure the grill staff are aware of what the grill is so you know its on its way. I hope this helps :smile:

Thank-you this helps a lot, ive only taken a few orders on the till and im just working my way through - so many buttons on the cash register! Just trying to picture it in my restaurant and it makes sense - I was told when I got a lift back that don't ask more than once for chicken if your waiting, they will tell you to ......., you can fill in the dots!

I quite like the job so far though, ive closed 2 nights in a row and that just doing loads of cleaning and that doesn't require too much skill!
Original post by joereed
I hate to intrude, but I know what the GAP is a little bit, but could you explain a little more about it? how would you know and what to do etc.

Its alright and basically what GAP hours are is that within those certain times, so half 8 to half 10 for breakfast, 12-2 for lunch and 5-7 for dinner you'd have a mystery shopper that will come in and order some food, what they'd then be doing is making sure the quality in service is present, so making sure they receive the correct condiments with whatever they order. For example if they ordered some porridge with jam for breakfast then you'd have to supply them with a spoon and some jam and a knife to ensure they can eat it fine. I have other examples but basically you'll need to serve out all the correct items with their order. They'll also check on the speed of the order so how long it takes to receive the food and then the quality of the food too. You'd then get a mark for all these parts and later on your BM should be notified about the score to see whether they've passed or not. I'm not too sure what else to say really :redface:

We do it, it's great for ham/cheese/double/mac grills, as they tend to be ready by the time they get to the end window, especially as people tend to order grills first whilst they remember it aha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joereed
Thank-you this helps a lot, ive only taken a few orders on the till and im just working my way through - so many buttons on the cash register! Just trying to picture it in my restaurant and it makes sense - I was told when I got a lift back that don't ask more than once for chicken if your waiting, they will tell you to ......., you can fill in the dots!

I quite like the job so far though, ive closed 2 nights in a row and that just doing loads of cleaning and that doesn't require too much skill!

I'm glad I could help and if you want more practice I'm pretty sure there is a game on ourlounge that will test your ability on the till to improve your accuracy and speed too, also yeah you don't want to annoy chicken side too much as being an experienced person from chicken side I personally know how frustrating it is because we have a screen so already know all the food that needs to be made, however we only ever do it in the order it came up on the screen and we just pass it down the line to let the next person finish off the item and send it down the production chute. We're also given 35 seconds for each order if there's more than 2 people on the side or 50 seconds per order if its only 1 person on the side so when the front starts to ask after 10 seconds it can become quite infuriating :redface:
The other day at work I asked my manager if I could have more shifts since I only work weekends. Just checked my schedule and I'm scheduled to work 5 days out of the week. That's fine, but for 2 of the days I start at 8, I've only done the morning menu once (last week) and I was so bad at it! I gave people the wrong items and everything! I'm so nervous now, is there anything I can do that will help me get the hang of the morning menu?
Reply 599
Hey :-) does anybody know round about how long it takes for the email to come through where you book your interview and oje? I had the email telling me I had an interview last night but haven't had the email to book it yet? Does anybody know how long it takes or should I just ring up and ask, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending