The Student Room Group

The McDonalds Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

I am 17, what should be the expected hourly rate for me? I would like to work in a medium sized branch in east London.

The minimum wage for my age is £4.05 but considering that 18-year-olds get £5.60 and 21-year-olds £7.05 I find it hard to believe they would just give me the bare minimum. Or would they?
Original post by Helloimaduck
Hi, I got offered a interview next Wednesday at my local McDs for a customer service role, any chance them responding within 2 days of submitting the application is a good sign? LOL

Also, I wasn't offered the OJE, do only some stories offer this or would I be asked to do this separately if they like me in the interview? And everyone's asked to bring in their NI number as well as passport for ID right?

I'm just really nervous because this is the first interview I've had in forever, sorry for the neurotic sounding questions :smile:

Its always a good sign if they reply early - all employers should take notes Lol

Yes, it depends on the store and if they are willing to hire without an OJE. I didn't have one

They only required my Passport for the interview. The rest is asked for at the Welcome meeting :smile:
Original post by W. A. Mozart
My application on the online portal thing has been marked as 'Considering' from 'Application Received', yet I haven't received an email yet or any further information?

I also had another application under 'Considering' and for that one I was sent an email instantly to organise a time and date for my interview and OJE.

Does anyone know why this is?

Yes, It's good if it has changed to 'considering' - it took them 2 weeks to reply to me - so make sure you reply to them if they contact you - by phone (save that store's phone no.) or email =)
Original post by Necro2411
Hello,

I am 17, what should be the expected hourly rate for me? I would like to work in a medium sized branch in east London.

The minimum wage for my age is £4.05 but considering that 18-year-olds get £5.60 and 21-year-olds £7.05 I find it hard to believe they would just give me the bare minimum. Or would they?

My coworker is 17 and he gets paid £5.60 hourly.

If you visit the Application website - and then search for the store/location you wanna work at - it shows the hourly wage for each age group.

Hope that helps!
Oh, and I can't find my NI card, but I do have letters from the DWP, Jobcentre etc with my NI number on, would that be accepted?
Original post by Helloimaduck
Oh, and I can't find my NI card, but I do have letters from the DWP, Jobcentre etc with my NI number on, would that be accepted?

It should be okay if you have the letter from Jobcentre. That is what is expected most likely - they will only photocopy it.
I don't know anything about a NI card - never had it.
Hey guys, just a few questions! :smile:

What does it mean by Contract: Fully flexible?

How easy is it to move from a part time role to a full time role? Or otherwise how easy is it to be allocated a lot of hours on a part time role?

Is it true that you are allowed to leave at any time within 1 months period of starting the job? I only ask as my OJE for the part time job is on the 10th, and my OJE for the full time job is on the 18th, and it's likely that I would go for the full time one over the part time role if I prefer the different role (assuming I get offered the job for both).

Many thanks :tongue:
Hey guys, I've been offered the position of Backroom Personell (full time). Just wondering what sort of things I can expect to be doing on a day-to-day basis? Do I have any similar responsibilities to Crew Members or? It's overnight shifts if that makes any difference.

Also, did anyone else have trouble getting ourlounge to work for them when they first started? Signed up this morning and it's still not letting me log in...

Thanks!
A little back story; I applied for FT Crew Member on 04 July, got invited for an interview and OJE on 05/07 (around 18 hours later) for 07/07. I had the interview yesterday and 40 minutes later, I got the email offering me the job. I've also had the email today, about my employee number, our lounge and what to do before Friday.

I've been invited for the welcome meeting on Friday, according to the invitation it's 4 hours long... are they usually that long? What do I wear for it?

Thank you 😃
Reply 5989
Hey guys, just a few questions! :smile:

What does it mean by Contract: Fully flexible?

How easy is it to move from a part time role to a full time role? Or otherwise how easy is it to be allocated a lot of hours on a part time role?

Is it true that you are allowed to leave at any time within 1 months period of starting the job? I only ask as my OJE for the part time job is on the 10th, and my OJE for the full time job is on the 18th, and it's likely that I would go for the full time one over the part time role if I prefer the different role (assuming I get offered the job for both).

Many thanks :tongue:

1. Fully flexible means that you can work at anytime of the day, and any day of the week. Whether having late starts or early finishes.

2. To me it's very easy to move to Full time. Just tell the scheduling manager that you wanna switch to full time. but if it's the other way round then they need evidence as to why you're moving to part time. Well with Part time, You won't be allocated a lot of hours I suppose. Only cuz Part timers work about 20-30 hours a week, and Full timers work 40-50 hours a week.

3. Yes, you are allowed to terminate your contract at anytime during your probational period if you do not feel like you want to work there anymore.
Hey, so I got an interview and OJE on Tuesday and I was wondering which shoes should I wear? Should I wear dress shoes or safety shoes?

Also, if I get the job, I know you're supposed to wear Shoes for Crews, but they're pretty expensive, so I thought I'd buy them after pay first paycheck, but, of course, I need safety shoes for the first weeks. I was thinking maybe this:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-safety-iowa-mens-safety-shoes-181001?colcode=18100103

or this: http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-kansas-mens-safety-shoes-181040?colcode=18104003

The first one has a steel toe cap, but the second one has many reviews saying it's comfortable. Which one should I get?
Reply 5991
Original post by laurenld
A little back story; I applied for FT Crew Member on 04 July, got invited for an interview and OJE on 05/07 (around 18 hours later) for 07/07. I had the interview yesterday and 40 minutes later, I got the email offering me the job. I've also had the email today, about my employee number, our lounge and what to do before Friday.

I've been invited for the welcome meeting on Friday, according to the invitation it's 4 hours long... are they usually that long? What do I wear for it?

Thank you 😃

4 Hours?! As I recall, mine was 2 hours. It could be that maybe you're getting your uniforms, putting them on, filling some paperwork, making sure you have a right to work in the UK/ Or any other country, and maybe doing some training? I'm not even sure myself, but It seems like the most logical explanation.

Plus, I say wear some smart casual attire, like what you wore in the interview but like tone it down a bit.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by H.S.H
1. Fully flexible means that you can work at anytime of the day, and any day of the week. Whether having late starts or early finishes.

2. To me it's very easy to move to Full time. Just tell the scheduling manager that you wanna switch to full time. but if it's the other way round then they need evidence as to why you're moving to part time. Well with Part time, You won't be allocated a lot of hours I suppose. Only cuz Part timers work about 20-30 hours a week, and Full timers work 40-50 hours a week.

3. Yes, you are allowed to terminate your contract at anytime during your probational period if you do not feel like you want to work there anymore.

A bit more about the second point:

Would it be appropriate to ask to move to full time around the time of starting the job? At the time of applying I was looking for part time but now I'd like full time.

Also, what if there weren't enough shifts available for me to go full time? Would I then be stuck on part time until more shifts open up?
Original post by H.S.H
4 Hours?! As I recall, mine was 2 hours. It could be that maybe you're getting your uniforms, putting them on, filling some paperwork, making sure you have a right to work in the UK/ Or any other country, and maybe doing some training? I'm not even sure myself, but It seems like the most logical explanation.

Plus, I say wear some smart casual attire, like what you wore in the interview but like tone it down a bit.

On the invitation it said from 9:30 to 13:30, it's at a different restaurant but it's owned by the same business manager. That could be it, they need the Health and Safety module on OurLounge completed before Friday and bank details uploaded onto MyStuff (I think that's what it is called).

Thank you so much! I can't wait to start now 😄
A bit more about the second point:

Would it be appropriate to ask to move to full time around the time of starting the job? At the time of applying I was looking for part time but now I'd like full time.

Also, what if there weren't enough shifts available for me to go full time? Would I then be stuck on part time until more shifts open up?

What does it mean if no one at the interview got the job and the job posting is still open?
Original post by TerribleGrades
What does it mean if no one at the interview got the job and the job posting is still open?

I guess it means that they are still accepting applicants since they haven't found anybody suitable yet.

Your question is slightly confusing though, so I'm sorry if I misinterpreted it!
I guess it means that they are still accepting applicants since they haven't found anybody suitable yet.

Your question is slightly confusing though, so I'm sorry if I misinterpreted it!

Because I knew one of the other applicants and interviewer said to them and me that it was a good interview, but didnt choose anyone (if the posting is still open). I just find this confusing aha.
Just had my interview at McDonalds :smile:

The manager said I would hear back from him within 3-7 days (but it probably won’t be that long he said), is this a good sign?

Also how long did you all have to wait to hear back?
Just had my interview at McDonalds :smile:

The manager said I would hear back from him within 3-7 days (but it probably won’t be that long he said), is this a good sign?

Also how long did you all have to wait to hear back?

40 minutes. Hope it went well!
Original post by laurenld
40 minutes. Hope it went well!

Oh wow that’s really quick! :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending