The Student Room Group

The McDonalds Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrSupernova
No, no, no. Here is a pic of a blister I got from the grill due to a bit of oil spitting onto my finger, followed by what it looks like now, ~10 days later. It was my fault for getting too close while cleaning it, but I only did that because one of the managers was walking around shouting at everyone to speed up :frown:

Yeah that's a good point actually....

But ouch that looks painful :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Myocardium
Bit of an odd question but was anyone afraid of being around really hot equipment or large vats of hot cooking oil before they started? I have a bit of a phobia of really hot things because I try to avoid them as much as I can and I'm worried this will be a problem. Are acidents related to cooking common when working e.g. spilling boiling oil/drinks? And is the workspace spacious so as not to have people walking around being dangerous?

The workplace isn't very spacious, no... There's a lot of squeezing past people when you're in the kitchen. Your profile indicates that you're female though, and at the one where I work the vast majority of female new starters are on drive thru or front counters. My friend's been there over a year and she hasn't even set foot in the kitchen yet!!
Original post by Ronda
I hate days with no soft drinks -____- And since our shake syrups run off CO2 (don't know if it's the case with other shake machines, but yeah) so no shakes either. And then we ran out of OJ and water since we were selling those to compensate. Then there were times when we lost oasis and BIM drinks. Crappy day.

And I hate people who don't understand when I tell them there's no fizzy drinks.

In summer, every day's 'no soft drinks day'! :biggrin:
Original post by SortYourLife
Yeah that's a good point actually....

But ouch that looks painful :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just realised how aggressive I sounded there haha, sorry! :smile:
+I didn't even notice the oil on my hand at first; now I can barely feel a thing on that part of my finger. My mum says I must have destroyed nerve endings or something... Just noticed how weird it looks with all the hair burnt off too
Reply 64
+I didn't even notice the oil on my hand at first; now I can barely feel a thing on that part of my finger. My mum says I must have destroyed nerve endings or something... Just noticed how weird it looks with all the hair burnt off too

I have a blister from the grill too right now. Its because of how quickly we have to clean everything for changeover causing me to burn my hand. I actually hate working breakfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha no worries :')

And yeah, probably nerves gone aha :s

All part of the job though ey :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
The workplace isn't very spacious, no... There's a lot of squeezing past people when you're in the kitchen. Your profile indicates that you're female though, and at the one where I work the vast majority of female new starters are on drive thru or front counters. My friend's been there over a year and she hasn't even set foot in the kitchen yet!!

I've been there for 2 and just messed about on chicken side once because I was on fries but wasn't really needed aha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
No, no, no. Here is a pic of a blister I got from the grill due to a bit of oil spitting onto my finger, followed by what it looks like now, ~10 days later. It was my fault for getting too close while cleaning it, but I only did that because one of the managers was walking around shouting at everyone to speed up :frown:

Ouch! That made me wince :'( Did it/does it hurt? Seriously, I can't even stand anywhere near boiling oil without experiencing mild panic. Even when my mum cooks with oil and I'm in the kitchen I end up anxiously glancing over to make sure nothing spills over despite the fact she's been cooking longer than I've been alive and is experienced with that sort of suff. I don't know how I'm going to manage haha.

The McDonalds I've applied to doesn't have a drive through :frown:
Ouch! That made me wince :'( Did it/does it hurt? Seriously, I can't even stand anywhere near boiling oil without experiencing mild panic. Even when my mum cooks with oil and I'm in the kitchen I end up anxiously glancing over to make sure nothing spills over despite the fact she's been cooking longer than I've been alive and is experienced with that sort of suff. I don't know how I'm going to manage haha.

The McDonalds I've applied to doesn't have a drive through :frown:

You'll still have a front counter though, chances are you'll get put on there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
You'll still have a front counter though, chances are you'll get put on there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah hopefully :smile:
They're to let everyone know when the food in front of them should be thrown out, there's a 10 minute 'holding period' in which the food is still okay to be served after it has been cooked and placed in the bin.

Generally it's the kitchen manager who keeps an eye on time cards, as it's their side that is right (red or black number) and matches the clock, and they will tell someone on front to throw the particular food away.

For chicken it's a 20 minute holding period (actually this may vary depending on the chicken product, I'm not quite sure as I've never worked kitchen) but as it's made as its ordered these don't have time cards but have their own timers on the UHC.

I don't see why you'd get shouted at for dropping them, it's not like they touch the food, as long as they get picked up and get put down the side of the production bin I don't see the problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it might be that, but I've never seen a number above 12 I don't think.

And I've not yet been trained on fries, thigh I know hw to pull and box them just out of necessity. We have such a tiny front counter area for our sales volume that we nearly always have someone on fries.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I thought it might be that, but I've never seen a number above 12 I don't think.

And I've not yet been trained on fries, thigh I know hw to pull and box them just out of necessity. We have such a tiny front counter area for our sales volume that we nearly always have someone on fries.

Yeah coz it goes off the clock, so it wouldn't go over 12 aha :smile:

Ah fair enough then aha :tongue: wish we would always have someone on fries :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Yeah hopefully :smile:

My BM basically told me that I won't really ever go in the kitchen as I am a people person and wants me on front or drive thru :smile: just hold eye contact your whole interview and smile loads. Never hesitate when you talk and always sound confident. This is what he told me makes me perfect for front. He didn't make me do my OJE as I 'impressed him enough in my interview I was so polite and friendly that he knows that I will be like that if not more friendly to customers' so literally just act like you're speaking to a friend or your mum lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by curved
My BM basically told me that I won't really ever go in the kitchen as I am a people person and wants me on front or drive thru :smile: just hold eye contact your whole interview and smile loads. Never hesitate when you talk and always sound confident. This is what he told me makes me perfect for front. He didn't make me do my OJE as I 'impressed him enough in my interview I was so polite and friendly that he knows that I will be like that if not more friendly to customers' so literally just act like you're speaking to a friend or your mum lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh damn I've already done my interview and I hesitated a lot :P
Original post by curved

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got told that at my interview too...

9 out of every 10 shifts I'm on grill.
Reply 75
I got told that at my interview too...

9 out of every 10 shifts I'm on grill.

But I'm a girl :wink: there were literally no girls on grill at my branch and I can't do a lot of physical lifting bending etc (medical reasons) so depends on the cookers but I'd probs be rubbish at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by curved
But I'm a girl :wink: there were literally no girls on grill at my branch and I can't do a lot of physical lifting bending etc (medical reasons) so depends on the cookers but I'd probs be rubbish at it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because you work in kitchen doesn't mean you have to do a lot of heavy lifting, tbh there's probably more heavy lifting involved on front counter tbh :tongue: but if you have medical reasons they won't make you do it anyways.

And it's the same at my store really, although we have plenty of crew trainers, most of them only do front or kitchen, you'll occasionally see one of them do the opposite of what they usually do :smile: there's one crew member girl who does both regularly, and one crew trainer girl who does both regularly (from what I can think of anyways)

I was shocked to hear about how one of our crew trainer guys actually started out in kitchen, when in the two years I've been there I've only seen him in kitchen once :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because you work in kitchen doesn't mean you have to do a lot of heavy lifting, tbh there's probably more heavy lifting involved on front counter tbh :tongue: but if you have medical reasons they won't make you do it anyways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree! Front counter - stocking up fries for the fry hopper, shake and sundae mix, crates of water/juices etc. are all the heaviest things.
Reply 78
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
Agree! Front counter - stocking up fries for the fry hopper, shake and sundae mix, crates of water/juices etc. are all the heaviest things.

Shake and Sundae mix is the kitchens job :P Use the bun tray thing on wheels when moving heavy things, just put another trey on top so you don't damage the buns :biggrin:
Original post by MrBuck
Shake and Sundae mix is the kitchens job :P Use the bun tray thing on wheels when moving heavy things, just put another trey on top so you don't damage the buns :biggrin:

Kitchen stocks fries up... And the boxes of 10:1 meat are easily the heaviest thing imo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending