The Student Room Group

The McDonalds Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Im a crew member and have worked there about 4 months. Im part-time and getting 2 shifts or less each week. I need more shifts but will not give me anymore. They are sending people home 5 minutes into there shifts because we are a quite store. What can I do? Transfer to a busier store to get more shifts or what?
Are these shoes suitable for working on the grills and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1389297244699.jpg1389297274924.jpg
Original post by 06gtaylo

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're fine in terms of being leather and enclosed, however there doesn't seem to be much of a distinctive tread pattern which may lead to you slipping over..
Reply 1783
Original post by 06gtaylo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like Shorty94 said there fine in regards to policy but if you haven't purchased them/ can take them back have a look at http://www.mcdfootwear.com/ , this way you won't be skidding around when the floor is wet etc

These should be fine and are similar to what I wear, both around £20:

http://www.mcdfootwear.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=79
http://www.mcdfootwear.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=86
Is it just me that finds the shifts sometimes unbearably long?!
I do 3 days a week max during term time and 4 during holidays but I go to sixth form everyday, I'm seriously considering quitting but I like the fact I no longer have to ask my parents for money and i'm just starting to really make good relationships with my colleagues [i've been there almost 3 months now].
Original post by jawsontheflooor
I do 3 days a week max during term time and 4 during holidays but I go to sixth form everyday, I'm seriously considering quitting but I like the fact I no longer have to ask my parents for money and i'm just starting to really make good relationships with my colleagues [i've been there almost 3 months now].

Same with me, except it's not just how long the shifts are, it's just the whole stress of working there and the fact I know it's impacting on my grades. The shifts though, mostly by the end I'm just zombie-ing it.
Started on 3 days in September, cut to 2 and then 1 by November - the breaking point was Christmas though, when they basically forced me to work pretty much full time which just about killed me.
I love having my own money (£4.35 hahahahahaa. Turn 18 next week though :biggrin: ) and some of my colleagues I've got so close to but this Saturday I'm gonna tell my manager... haha I better research how I hand my notice in actually!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been given a 10 hour shift next Sunday, and I really don't want to work for that long, especially as I have to be up for a full day at school at half 6 on Monday :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1787
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I've been given a 10 hour shift next Sunday, and I really don't want to work for that long, especially as I have to be up for a full day at school at half 6 on Monday :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speak to someone about starting later/finishing earlier. If you're of school age, you shouldn't be doing 10 hour shifts any way. To be honest, I'm quite surprised anyone has a 10 hour shift at this time of year considering how quiet it is!
Original post by Ronda
Speak to someone about starting later/finishing earlier. If you're of school age, you shouldn't be doing 10 hour shifts any way. To be honest, I'm quite surprised anyone has a 10 hour shift at this time of year considering how quiet it is!

I'm 18, and they've never given me such a log shift before. It's usually only full time staff that get them. I've looked on the schedule for the day, and no one else has such a long shift :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronda

I was surprised last night, I was on a 5:45-11 but got called in to start at 3. There was also a couple of other people who started a bit earlier and one who came in on her day off. I mean I know we had the SOR/FOR (I can't remember which one) but we still didn't really need that many staff as I ended up standing outside on handheld for an hour, despite the fact we were dead quiet, like literally one or two cars the whole time, where it was cold because it was like 6/7 o clock, it was raining and I was unable to come inside.

My shifts next week are a little mixed up....

Wednesday: 15:15-21:30
Friday: 18:00-23:00
Saturday 16:00- close
Sunday 13:00-23:00

I'm used to 10 hour shifts, but usually the 9:00-19:00 or 8:00-18:00, not that late aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1790
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I'm 18, and they've never given me such a log shift before. It's usually only full time staff that get them. I've looked on the schedule for the day, and no one else has such a long shift :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just speak to them and explain you've got school the next day and stuff, I'm sure they'll be able to sort it for you.

Original post by SortYourLife
I was surprised last night, I was on a 5:45-11 but got called in to start at 3. There was also a couple of other people who started a bit earlier and one who came in on her day off. I mean I know we had the SOR/FOR (I can't remember which one) but we still didn't really need that many staff as I ended up standing outside on handheld for an hour, despite the fact we were dead quiet, like literally one or two cars the whole time, where it was cold because it was like 6/7 o clock, it was raining and I was unable to come inside.

My shifts next week are a little mixed up....

Wednesday: 15:15-21:30
Friday: 18:00-23:00
Saturday 16:00- close
Sunday 13:00-23:00

I'm used to 10 hour shifts, but usually the 9:00-19:00 or 8:00-18:00, not that late aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably an SOR as they're unannounced, which would make sense if people were getting called in early and on their days off.

I did plenty 10/11/12 hour shifts over Christmas, so I'm quite glad to be back to normal 8 hours (or 9 if I'm on the close)! And a nice wee weeks holiday this week too!
Original post by Ronda
Just speak to them and explain you've got school the next day and stuff, I'm sure they'll be able to sort it for you.

Probably an SOR as they're unannounced, which would make sense if people were getting called in early and on their days off.

I did plenty 10/11/12 hour shifts over Christmas, so I'm quite glad to be back to normal 8 hours (or 9 if I'm on the close)! And a nice wee weeks holiday this week too!

Nah we knew about it, the closers on Thursday didn't get out till about 4. Quite happy I'm on the close tonight, just topping up what was done last night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1792
Phone call for 50 happy meals for a few hours time, shift manager who answer the phone doesn't take any details what so ever. She arranged it so everything was ready for the time it was meant to be picked up, totally messed up the fry station causing long waits for the frys while 50 small together. The look on her face after 15 minutes when the caller no showed having to waste 50 small frys /:
Reply 1793
I recently quit, and was intrigued to read some of the posts in this forum. The nightmares will be back tonight :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jawsontheflooor

I recently handed in my resignation to the store manager but was taken into the office the next day and with 2 salary managers and now im working seasonal, my next shift will be in like June or whenever i've finished my summer exams.

The benefits of doing this is that if i need a job through uni (in yr 13 now) and there is nothing else then i can transfer, I have a guaranteed job for the summer and I've been told that if you work there for 3 years (approaching 2yrs now) then you get free private healthcare :smile:
Original post by PerryPerry95
I recently handed in my resignation to the store manager but was taken into the office the next day and with 2 salary managers and now im working seasonal, my next shift will be in like June or whenever i've finished my summer exams.

The benefits of doing this is that if i need a job through uni (in yr 13 now) and there is nothing else then i can transfer, I have a guaranteed job for the summer and I've been told that if you work there for 3 years (approaching 2yrs now) then you get free private healthcare :smile:

I didn't know "seasonal" was a thing, wonder if they do it in my store...
I tried to quit yesterday, told my manager I had to and he sat me down and was like they can make it reaally flexible for me,like 4 hours a week when I want and stuff... which persuaded me I think - but working seasonal would suit me waay better, since I can't not have a job in the 3 months between exams and uni..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bananaminion
I didn't know "seasonal" was a thing, wonder if they do it in my store...
I tried to quit yesterday, told my manager I had to and he sat me down and was like they can make it reaally flexible for me,like 4 hours a week when I want and stuff... which persuaded me I think - but working seasonal would suit me waay better, since I can't not have a job in the 3 months between exams and uni..

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few people at mine work in the holidays when they're back from uni. I'm kinda jealous of you people complaining of having too many hours though... I managed fine last year (Y12) doing 10-15 hours a week, but now everyone's hours have ben cut to compensate for the post-Xmas sales slump and I haven't got a single shift next week!
Original post by MrSupernova
A few people at mine work in the holidays when they're back from uni. I'm kinda jealous of you people complaining of having too many hours though... I managed fine last year (Y12) doing 10-15 hours a week, but now everyone's hours have ben cut to compensate for the post-Xmas sales slump and I haven't got a single shift next week!

Ah I'm actually gonna ask about that while.. in negotiations with my manager!
Yeah, hours isn't really a problem at my store - I reckon it's the busiest, or one of the, in the UK - but problems outside of work have kinda all combined and I can't cope with the hours anymore! I only started at the beginning of Y13, kinda wish I'd been able to get used to it while doing AS. The new system as well, I find, is cutting hours - sometimes I'll only get 5 on a Saturday instead of 9 but right now that suits me!
Can I have shake mix please ??
Original post by bananaminion
Ah I'm actually gonna ask about that while.. in negotiations with my manager!
Yeah, hours isn't really a problem at my store - I reckon it's the busiest, or one of the, in the UK - but problems outside of work have kinda all combined and I can't cope with the hours anymore! I only started at the beginning of Y13, kinda wish I'd been able to get used to it while doing AS. The new system as well, I find, is cutting hours - sometimes I'll only get 5 on a Saturday instead of 9 but right now that suits me!

Yeah, when personal stuff's getting on top of you, McD's really isn't the best place to work... The new system went from giving me a few shifts, to giving me loads, and then back to giving me hardly any again. There was a full-timer crying in the crew room on Saturday cos she only has 12 hours next week once breaks are taken out of the equation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending