The Student Room Group

The reality of sexism in the UK today - bank note campaigner forced into hiding

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Angry Stoic
Is it an issue specifically limited to feminists or is this just part of the problem of the Internet providing an opportunity to insult and threaten? Part of the same problem as cyber bulleying of teanagers and other forms of harassment on the Internet? Racism, sexism, targeting the obese, ugly, whatever.

Is it that society is any different to 30 years ago or is it just the Internet has given it a gateway to be more insulting from the comfort of their PC chair?

Maybe it's the latter, but I do feel that the use of anonymising services like Twitter allow people to run their worst and most disreputable feelings in public, as they fear no comeback. The usual rules and restrictions of public life do make a difference.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Maybe it's the latter, but I do feel that the use of anonymising services like Twitter allow people to run their worst and most disreputable feelings in public, as they fear no comeback. The usual rules and restrictions of public life do make a difference.

Unfortunately bringing in report features or harsher prosecution of trolls will only be treating the symptoms of societies troubles.
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Unfortunately bringing in report features or harsher prosecution of trolls will only be treating the symptoms of societies troubles.

I feel we should be moving away from allowing anon postings on the web generally, in all media. I also think that young children shouldn't be allowed to join a lot of adult services like Facebook and Twitter and that there need to be ID checks to join them. I realise this won't be a popular view. :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
I feel we should be moving away from allowing anon postings on the web generally, in all media. I also think that young children shouldn't be allowed to join a lot of adult services like Facebook and Twitter and that there need to be ID checks to join them. I realise this won't be a popular view. :eek:

I'm not sure if we should be banning anonymous services as much as just policing them better. The ability to speak your mind with a large degree of anonymity is an important part of the Internet.

Would this include preventing authors from publishing under pseudonyms? Many great works were published under pseudonyms. I think anonymity plays a major part in freedom of speech. It is easier for a minority to speak out against the majority when they have anonymity. Without anonymity, non-conformist opinions lose their voice due to societal pressure to conform. People will often literally go against everything they believe to follow the majority. If you have ever seen the Asch Conformity Experiment, you will see how easy it is to fall into conformity.

If this test was done over the internet with anonymity, I imagine we would see starkly different results. When people have anonymity, they have less pressure to conform.
Reply 205

Good. Imagine if someone spouting their unpopular opinion could be targeted personally. That's what has happened here, out of choice by Criado-Perez, and she did have a sexist standpoint so it's 'fair' that she was attacked for it (though not to this extent). However, for the sake of argument let's say her views were a reasonable objection, then you can see the abuse she's getting because she's visible, she's identified herself. Should everyone who agrees with her have to have their name and face publicised when they lend her support? Why then do we have anonymous elections?

We can use this site as an example. People growing up from 12 years old (or whatever the minimum is for the site) shouldn't be deterred from discussing things and developing their views just in case it's held against them when they eventually become a politician or other public figure. That's on top of any ridicule they might get at school for 'being wrong' for all to see. I wouldn't say I personally needed the anonymity as an escape from real life, but it is nice, and I can see how it would be very important or even essential to some.

As an aside, since I understand the spirit of your point to not really include this but I would be interested in your answer, what about anonymous questions about adolescence, relationships and so on? Do we really need to know that Thomas Green, 41 from Haversham needs advice on a worrisome rash/needs to learn how to cook something for his wife that night/other? (Apologies to Thomas if the above happens to be true, it was purely coincidental.)

I think ultimately, parents do need to take responsibility for their kids and teach them these things. Schools can play a part too. On sites where people can be anonymous, be anonymous. If you want to be yourself online, then find a site where everyone else must do the same. In short, ensure you're on level terms with everyone else. There will always be demand for anonymity, even in real life where you might go to a shop to buy something (or even just walking down the street) and not have to tell everyone your name and have them tell you theirs. The point is to be educated on how to ensure that isn't used against you, and that's pretty easy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending