The Student Room Group

Psychology Reading List?

Does anyone have any suggestions about any psychology books I can read? I want to build up my psych knowledge and have some books to put on my personal statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your best bet is to go on to one the website of one of the unis you're applying to and find the module description. I know Exeter have a reading list at the end of every module description. That means you'll be talking about books that are relevant to the course you'll be taking. You could also read some of the papers published by your potential lecturers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by LouiseOrd
Your best bet is to go on to one the website of one of the unis you're applying to and find the module description. I know Exeter have a reading list at the end of every module description. That means you'll be talking about books that are relevant to the course you'll be taking. You could also read some of the papers published by your potential lecturers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Are you studying psychology?
Reply 3
Yes :smile:. Going into second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yes :smile:. Going into second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you like it? I really wanna do Psycho, but everyone's telling me that there are no jobs available after uni :frown: I'm still gonna do it though
Reply 5
Depends what you want to do with your life to be honest. Have you decided or are you just doing psych because you enjoy it/process of elimination?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
And it depends where you go too. Top ranked Russell Group uni, you have a better chance, the same with every subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
And it depends where you go too. Top ranked Russell Group uni, you have a better chance, the same with every subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking forensic psychology, I find that so interesting! And I wanna study at the university of manchester
Reply 8
I went to an open day at York University and in their Psychology mini lecture they suggested reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, and also one of the professors stated that you could pass your Psychology degree by reading the Horrible Science 'Bulging Brains' ... Which seems like a very unconventional choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Does Manc offer forensic psychology as a module? I did it at A-Level, but we don't do it in my degree which is a shame because I really enjoyed it. If you want to do forensic psychology, I'd suggest looking at criminology courses instead.

The problem with psychology is it's so broad that people come into it wanting to do different things and only one section of the entire course is interesting to them and they disengage. Unfortunately, most people have the misconception that a psychology degree is a one way ticket to be a therapist, when you spend very little of your time doing clinical psychology (and it's the most competitive).

So if you're set on forensics, at least look at criminology, my boyfriend changed his course so instead of doing psychology he's doing philosophy and criminology as a flexible combined honours - because there were too many modules that he just didn't care for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by *Sierra*
I went to an open day at York University and in their Psychology mini lecture they suggested reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, and also one of the professors stated that you could pass your Psychology degree by reading the Horrible Science 'Bulging Brains' ... Which seems like a very unconventional choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! What other unis are you applying for?:smile:
Reply 11
Does Manc offer forensic psychology as a module? I did it at A-Level, but we don't do it in my degree which is a shame because I really enjoyed it. If you want to do forensic psychology, I'd suggest looking at criminology courses instead.

The problem with psychology is it's so broad that people come into it wanting to do different things and only one section of the entire course is interesting to them and they disengage. Unfortunately, most people have the misconception that a psychology degree is a one way ticket to be a therapist, when you spend very little of your time doing clinical psychology (and it's the most competitive).

So if you're set on forensics, at least look at criminology, my boyfriend changed his course so instead of doing psychology he's doing philosophy and criminology as a flexible combined honours - because there were too many modules that he just didn't care for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll definitely look into that! Thank you:smile: I am interested in psychology in general, so I think I'd like a straight psych course. What's your fave module?
Original post by WannaGetAnA
I'll definitely look into that! Thank you:smile: I am interested in psychology in general, so I think I'd like a straight psych course. What's your fave module?

Well then I'd recommend trying to find one with forensic as a module, though they're probably few and far between. None of the uni's I looked at offered it as a module.

Erm, well I haven't done all the modules I will do throughout the course but so far I've done:
Social
Cognition and Development
Clinical
Biological
Evolution
Classics
Statistics
Research Methods

I didn't really have a favourite, but RM is boring, biology I found really difficult and evolution was too animal centred (animal psychology bores me). Clinical was intense, and the rest were interesting at times and boring at other times. Luckily, psychology for me, is just transferable skills and doing something I enjoy. I want to go into advertising and marketing and psychology counts as a relevant degree to get onto my masters course which meant I didn't have to do business studies or something I'd find boring and be crap at :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Thank you! What other unis are you applying for?:smile:

I applied for York, Durham, Lancaster and Northumbria.

Also a tip we were given when writing our personal statements was to be careful about mentioning books; they could receive loads of personal statements talking about the same books and this doesn't make your PS stand out! Also if you mention a book you would have to be prepared to answer in depth questions about it if you were to be invited to an interview. I think the general view is to only include a book if you have actually found something interesting and it is relevant to what you are writing; don't just mention a book for the sake of it!

That is not to say you shouldn't read any though... Any related books will help you overall!
Reply 14
I applied for York, Durham, Lancaster and Northumbria.

Also a tip we were given when writing our personal statements was to be careful about mentioning books; they could receive loads of personal statements talking about the same books and this doesn't make your PS stand out! Also if you mention a book you would have to be prepared to answer in depth questions about it if you were to be invited to an interview. I think the general view is to only include a book if you have actually found something interesting and it is relevant to what you are writing; don't just mention a book for the sake of it!

That is not to say you shouldn't read any though... Any related books will help you overall!

Thank you so much! I was actually going to mention a few books that I've read, so you saved me:biggrin: what other PS tips were you given?
Reply 15
Thank you so much! I was actually going to mention a few books that I've read, so you saved me:biggrin: what other PS tips were you given?

Open with an interesting sentence, making the admissions team want to read on. Talk about how Psychology relates to your life, for example I wrote about how watching my younger foster brother struggling to learn his spellings made me realise how complex language acquisition is, and how it 'led me to think about visual perception in relation to learning' ... I put this in particularly to impress one of the lecturers at York who had a passion for visual learning, and he told us he was one of the admissions staff!

What universities are you applying for?
Reply 16
Open with an interesting sentence, making the admissions team want to read on. Talk about how Psychology relates to your life, for example I wrote about how watching my younger foster brother struggling to learn his spellings made me realise how complex language acquisition is, and how it 'led me to think about visual perception in relation to learning' ... I put this in particularly to impress one of the lecturers at York who had a passion for visual learning, and he told us he was one of the admissions staff!

What universities are you applying for?

Manchester, Liverpool, Lancaster, Durham and maybe Cambridge! How are your results?
Reply 17
Manchester, Liverpool, Lancaster, Durham and maybe Cambridge! How are your results?

Good choices! My results are good thank you I got into Northumbria which I put down as my first choice in the end, how were your results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Good choices! My results are good thank you I got into Northumbria which I put down as my first choice in the end, how were your results?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that's great!!! Well done:biggrin: I got three a's in psych, general studies and rs and 2 c's in maths and bio, but I'm dropping maths and resitting all my bio exams
Reply 19
I am also interested in Forensic Psych, thankfully the Uni I am going to has one. (University of Hull). :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest