The Student Room Group

psychology: work experience

Hi, i’m planning on applying for a psych degree but i don’t have any work experience, im only 17 so i can’t really get work with any of the mental health charities before my application is due, does anyone know how i might get some psychology work experience?
Original post by swifts18
Hi, i’m planning on applying for a psych degree but i don’t have any work experience, im only 17 so i can’t really get work with any of the mental health charities before my application is due, does anyone know how i might get some psychology work experience?

Hi!
It can be difficult gaining work experience in fields such as psychology due to the nature of the work. It will vary depending on the universities you are applying to however many universities understand this and therefore are not worried about field specific work experience. There are any other ways you can engage with your subject, such as reading around specific topics you are interested in (you can mention such readings in your personal statement to show universities you have a keen interest in your subject).

If you require work experience in the area of psychology, consider places such as nursing/care homes or schools. Here you may work with patients with dementia or children with learning disabilities, and this may relate to your degree programme.

Hope this helps, Faye :smile:
Reply 2
just adding onto the previous persons reply, a lot of schools have schemes where you volunteer to read with children with learning disabilities. you can just email in and ask if they have these schemes in place if they're not already advertised. you could also complete moocs to show your interest. some hospitals (community hospitals in particular) have some volunteering places that you could take up. have a chat with you head of year and see if they can get into contact with local care homes, schools and hospitals. in fact, you could ask to do some work experience within your own school (not sure how feasible and related it would be to psych tho)
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by swifts18

Hiya! I'm Fatiha, a second year psychology student. Admission tutors know and understand that psychology work experience is super difficult to get access of! Most people who apply and get the offer usually don't have an extensive list of working with psychology-related things in their personal statement.

I think the most important thing is tailoring your application to the values of a psychology student that they're looking for. So, people-based experience, ie., working with people of different ages is really important. You'd probably want experience where you're helping people in some sort of way. It's all about how you tailor your experience to suit the description of a psych degree. For me, I talked about how I did NCS, how I volunteered with kids for example. To echo the above comments, any volunteering experience with kids or the elderly is great! It depends on your local area, but I would just recommend giving it a quick google, ie. "volunteering with kids/people near me"

Hope that helped!

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest