The Student Room Group

Qs about coming to study in the UK from overseas

Hey, we're thinking about putting more stuff on TSR to help international students come and study in the UK.

Are you an international student? It would be great if you could help out by posting here:

- what's the most difficult thing about coming to study in the UK?
- Is there any information that is particularly hard to find?
- Other than providing great information and advice, is there anything else you think TSR could do to help?

Tom from Team TSR
Hi Tom!

Personally, I think one of the hardest things is figuring out what qualifications are needed to study in the UK. Not every student is 18 with five AP's under their belt. More info for other Americans, etc might be beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime
Hi Tom!

Personally, I think one of the hardest things is figuring out what qualifications are needed to study in the UK. Not every student is 18 with five AP's under their belt. More info for other Americans, etc might be beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you studying in the UK now?
Reply 3
Visa process for loads of people (but I suppose that might be a bit difficult to help out since it's strictly legal stuff) is probably the hardest

Financial information (i.e. banks etc.)

Rights of international students (entitlement to ISAs, need for NI number to get job etc.)

How the transport system works

General cost of things: prevent students getting ripped off etc.

Qualifications needed would be good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by hslakaal
Visa process for loads of people (but I suppose that might be a bit difficult to help out since it's strictly legal stuff) is probably the hardest

Rights of international students (entitlement to ISAs, need for NI number to get job etc.)

Thanks, that's really helpful! How about information about unis/courses and what they're like for international students?
Reply 5
Original post by (Tom)
Thanks, that's really helpful! How about information about unis/courses and what they're like for international students?

A large number of students coming from Commonwealth regions would have little issue since they all have systems similar to A-Levels (or IB etc.) and are fairly easily accepted by admissions officers.

The trouble would be with students applying from less common systems, such as country-specific qualifications. Personally I did A-levels so I didn't have any conversion issues, but afaik, many smaller/less-financially wealthy universities do not bother with detailed information on methods of submission of exam results or exact requirements for a course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by (Tom)

Are you studying in the UK now?

No, not yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely trying to find qualifications was a nightmare (from the US). Also info on student financing...everything I read kept saying there was no aid for overseas students but then I ended up getting a significant scholarship from my school! It was so confusing.
Reply 8
Brilliant, thanks everyone - any other thoughts from anyone please shout :smile:
Hi Tom!

I really needed to know some information about how the UCAS application system works. I am currently applying to school, and they said that I should post my grades online on UCAS, but I'm not sure how that works. I am coming from the Caribbean with both Caribbean/American qualifications. I'm really confused about the grades/qualifications section. Can you help me out, please?
aalightburn if you want to PM me I can help (from the US, currently at a UK uni)
Reply 11
Accommodation
any recommendations for a nice website for renting a room or a flat ?
a website better than the spare room ?
i am looking for a place close to Southampton Solent
Reply 12
Hi everyone! I'm a Canadian student interested in applying to MSc in Speech Therapy at City University London, Reading and Essex next year! I was wondering if there were any other international students on this forum who've applied and wouldnt mind sharing their stats (volunteer exp, gpa)?
Thanks!
Reply 13
I tried to start a discussion group for students coming with the FRENCH Baccalaureate (as opposed to IB). But was refused as it was not considered relevant! Plenty of international students take the French Bac at schools all over the world but the universities are very inconsistent in how they interpret the grades. Is 15/20 the same as AAA? What about subject grades?
But TSR Didn't want a forum on this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hslakaal

I second this notion! I particularly would like some first-hand information on the transport system, general costs of things, and what to do for fun near the uni. A general idea of what the locals do there.
Hi Everyone, check out British Council's Education UK - it's a website for international students to find out all the necessary information to Study in the UK and covers many of the questions/queries you have mentioned - http://www.educationuk.org
International students totally rock! Welcome to the UK awesome pplz!! :h:
Reply 17
Original post by wbluestar
Hi everyone! I'm a Canadian student interested in applying to MSc in Speech Therapy at City University London, Reading and Essex next year! I was wondering if there were any other international students on this forum who've applied and wouldnt mind sharing their stats (volunteer exp, gpa)?
Thanks!

Hi,
I am an international student from the USA. I have just recently applied to the SLT programs for reading, city, Sheffield, and Queen Margaret. I have a conditional offer from Queen Margaret but I am still waiting on her he other schools. I want to get fully admitted. Have you applied yet for the schools?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending