The Student Room Group

Does anyone else spot the issues about the increasing world population?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ckingalt
This argument lacks insight into the human condition. People are not like plants which only require the minimum sustenance and space required to sustain life. Humans need to explore, expand, build and grow. The ideal human population should be based on the available resources for humans to perpetually strive to improve their existence, not merely sustain it.

That does not mean wasting so many resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by izpenguin
In this country at least, (I don't know about other countries) people don't have that many children. IIrc the average woman born in 1965 has had 1.91 children. The thing that is really boosting the population is the fact people are living longer. But any attempt to stop that is unethical, so I don't really know what the answer is, it is a very difficult question.

An average woman born in 1965 has 1.91 children... interesting :tongue:
Original post by Sammy Lanka
In my geography course I remember hearing something like the world could support 5 billion Americans or 19 billion third world people. The problem we face is not the amount of people we have but the increasing greed of those people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, always someone with an anti west or America speech lol with NO FACTS, back that up before throwing it out man.
Original post by barnetlad
There is enough food for everyone, if only it was fairly distributed and no food was grown for fuel.

There is but, the problem being if most is made by the richer countries and given to poorer countries for free, yes they will eat but it destroys their food markets, by increasing supply, with possibly better quality so you get food that is made within the poorer countries that is worth less/ can't be sold.

I would say should we be selling food out of fairness, but again alot of third world countries rely on their primary sector HIGHLY, removing this would be like increasing life expectancy but decreasing the quality of life.
Original post by thebiggy
ok. lets be open about this shall we -- maybe i can speak more openly because i am an immigrant stock.

for the vast majority of human history population it did not grow hardly at all. population was stable at well under a billion people for all of human history up until the start of the industrial revolution in the 1800's.

however. the vast, vast, vast majority of population growth has happen in the last 50 years and virtually all of it has all happened in the third world.

poprecent.gif

one of the reasons why this issue cannot be spoken about is because of the authoritarian shackles imposed on this society. it is simply not allowed to speak of where this disastrous population growth is coming from.

I say. people have to be a bit more open about the issue and not so concerned with being seen to be politically correct.

That looks like a biology growth curve...I'm not saying this with a tone or favoured opinion, but while we may not be able to do anything in terms of policy or restriction (Maybe not nothing, but very little...I think education is key is the richer countries, education about finance)..The truth is those who can't afford to survive or receive aid, will cease to exist, that point will be reached either temporarily when we can't find ways to increase food production, or permanently when there is no longer capacity to increase food production.

It is likely you'll see different forms of food production/food in coming years I.E quorn/ fermented food, unfortunately for third world countries these aren't really been made to give away but to sell.
Original post by thebiggy
ok. lets be open about this shall we -- maybe i can speak more openly because i am an immigrant stock.

for the vast majority of human history population it did not grow hardly at all. population was stable at well under a billion people for all of human history up until the start of the industrial revolution in the 1800's.

however. the vast, vast, vast majority of population growth has happen in the last 50 years and virtually all of it has all happened in the third world.

poprecent.gif

one of the reasons why this issue cannot be spoken about is because of the authoritarian shackles imposed on this society. it is simply not allowed to speak of where this disastrous population growth is coming from.

i say. people have to be a bit more open about the issue and not so concerned with being seen to be politically correct.

Just read your finishing sentences..True but if the problem is not coming from richer countries...What can they do if it's not their own country to govern.
Original post by Sammy Lanka
That does not mean wasting so many resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by wasting resource..Give an example ?
Inferno :rolleyes:

According to the graph above there will be no problem with over population. At last it'll stabilise or fall naturally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by All-rounder
Was just wondering if anyone else has realised that with 7 billion people on our planet already and it rising every day, that life will become a lot harder in the near future.

Not meaning to sound like a lunatic, but apparently the world will be most sustainable if it had only 4 billion people, is there any suggestions anyone has on how to keep the world population size down?

We just have to wait like 50-100 years where we will have World War 3/4, it'll be over water instead of oil :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by Nick100
The 4 billion figure is almost certainly out of date; these concerns aren't new. Back in the 1970s there were people predicting global famines by 1980 and that these would keep the population in check - that's probably the origin of 4 billion.

Our technology has kept pace with population growth and there is every indication that this will continue to be the case. The growth rate is declining and growth is expected to stop by the end of the century at about ten or eleven billion. To elaborate on our technology in a two key areas:

Food and Agriculture: we already have the technology to sustain probably about ten billion people - the main problem we face in this areas is that the technology isn't available to everyone for largely political reasons. If one compares the agricultural output of Africa with India or South America one can clearly see that Africa has largely not applied the technologies developed during the "green revolution". The reasons for this are complicated, but to be concise it's because most of the continent is under the control of kleptocrats.

In addition to existing technologies there are of course new developments being made. Genetic modification can augment the progress already made during the green revolution; artificial meat greatly increases the efficiency of meat production while better herding techniques allow for greater amounts of conventional meat production in developing countries (and without environmental degradation - there is a TED talk on this); and aquaculture is a rapidly growing industry which will reduce our dependence on fishing (which is essentially a form of hunting).

Energy: Fossil fuels are more abundant than previously thought, but as their use can cause undesirable climate change we ought to focus on the alternatives. These alternatives are primarily in three categories; Renewable energy, Nuclear Fission, and Nuclear Fusion. Renewable energy does not depend on any kind of fuel source, while the fuel sources for nuclear power (thorium and uranium for fission, and hydrogen for fusion) are very abundant - enough to last tens of thousands of years with the latest technology (billions of years in the case of nuclear fusion, hundreds of millions for nuclear fission if we can recover a significant portion of the fissionables in the Earth's crust). These predictions are all based everyone having the energy consumption far greater than the average Westerner by the way; they are potential sources of energy for a so-called "Type 1" civilization. The main problem with these energy sources is that they have a very high capital cost (especially fusion), hence why fossil fuel use is still favoured.

With abundant energy we can also solve problems like water shortages using desalination, and could hypothetically remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and recycle any element without limits.

For the reasons outlined above, and others, I do not believe that overpopulation will be a problem for our species.

It will be a problem because very little of what you just said actually relates to the increasing population. It's very clear it'll be a problem due to the numbers of people pandemics will start out incredibly quickly.
Also, 'probably 4 billion' ? No, 4 billion. I did the research so there is no need for guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
There is no air on mars...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

According to the graph above there will be no problem with over population. At last it'll stabilise or fall naturally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That graph is just an estimate, after all, who would've thought we'd shoot up to 7 billion in such a small amount of time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian
Of course we have, but there is little we can do. You can't physically stop people having kids ...

Original post by Apocrypha
The third world digs a deeper hole with population growth.

Neither of these statements is true. As others have said, the rate of population increase is slowing, because of development in poor countries. The faster those countries can develop economically, the faster their birth rates will come down, helping the stabilise population size.

So what can we do? Get a job - earn money - give money to the poor the help them develop economically. As citizens of one of the richest countries in the world, we have the most power to change it for the better.
Reply 53
Andrew Marr commented on this in his last episode of History of the World (or something like that) saying that the next 50 years will be the most interesting in human history.

It comes down to 2 very simple factors, either the Western world has to cut down massively on its consumption but sharing has never been humanities greatest attribute... The latter and far more likely is unless we embrace GM crops etc there will be mass violence and war for remaining resources.

Just my opinion, i'm not saying it's fact :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MatureStudent36
He never said there was infinite resources, but the world is more than capable of feeding a substantially larger population that it already does. We haven't started to harness the resources of the oceans yet, and considering the earths crust is between to 4 to 20km deep with the deepest mine only going down to 4km.

People have been reporting the end of the world for a long time.

We've harnessed the oceans to breaking point. Overfishing is a very big problem worldwide. The FAO reported in 2011 (original report here) that approximately 25% of fish stocks worldwide were either overexploited, depleted, or recovering, with another 52% being fully exploited. There is quite literally no room for increasing the catch from the oceans worldwide. Aquaculture is a different matter, though.

There's very good reasons why we've never mined deeper than 4 km, as well, though I don't know why you would expect to find any food down there. Away from the plate boundaries, the geothermal gradient is given as being 25°C per km (though that will vary from place to place), so generally speaking, once you've descended 4 km, you can expect to have reached the boiling point. This isn't the case everywhere - the deepest mine in the world only reaches temps of about 60°C, but even this is too hot for human habitation, so they have to use an almighty air conditioning system to cool things down. Realistically, if you want to get any deeper in the Earth's crust, you've got to be looking at doing it robotically.

I don't think anyone's predicting the end of the world, but I'm confident that overpopulation, combined with other problems that are looming on the horizon, will give humanity a far harder time of it over the coming centuries.
Someone's been reading Dan Brown.
People aren't actually having more babies, they're just having more babies that survive past birth.

I personally don't feel threatened by the growing population. I know it's somewhat of a problem for us in the future, but I don't think it's a problem that can't be solved.
Little bit out there, but how about some kind of random selection process where a certain percentage of newborns are infertilised at birth?
Original post by SamTheMan95
Introduce competition. Release some predators into built up areas. That seems logical.

Someone has been watching the hunger games! :tongue:
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might be worth you considering what "stabilising and falling naturally" would entail for us humans.

If anything that's the worst case scenario - we should be looking for a way to stabilise our population artificially and keep it from falling. This is once instance where we do not want nature to take over.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending