The Student Room Group

FY2 standalone (SHO) rank over 350+ chances of matching??

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing great. And happy ramadan (for all my muslim amigos).

I have been deemed appointable for FY2 standalone this year. However, my rank is between 355-360, not so great, and I didn't match in round 1.

This year there is somewhere in between 310-320 spots in total (some have 3 positions available). Also I read the stats in 2018 it seemed like everyone matched for FY2 standalone and they had more jobs to give as a LAS FY2 by the end of the clearing process .

I think its because not everyone has got their Full GMC yet, other job offers , evidence of English etc..

anyone has been in this situation previously? or anyone in my shoes right now want to share their thoughts.
I'm in your situation. Rank 359; I did not match in the first 2 rounds either. I think we only have a chance if some people reject their offers or additional vacancies arise.
Reply 2
Hi! I’m in the same boat. I’m rank 361 - probably the last one on the list, how bad is that! Nevertheless, I have the same concern. Also if there are not enough places this year - do we have to reapply for the next one or does the application stay open until May 2021? Does anybody have a clear plan what they will do if there won‘t be enough job offers for us?
Original post by Hopeful359
I'm in your situation. Rank 359; I did not match in the first 2 rounds either. I think we only have a chance if some people reject their offers or additional vacancies arise.

Hey buddy, don't lose hope yet. How about clearing round next week we have 2 rounds still, I think they need to check by then if people documents are full and in order, and if they withdraw etc..

I have read and heard that someone ranked beyond 325 matched today so lets not lose hope. Additionally, every year even in their guideline it states there are many LAS FY2 spots left so they give it out to deaneries to be filled. That means we should be given something before giving it out to deaneries ??
Original post by Lena L
Hi! I’m in the same boat. I’m rank 361 - probably the last one on the list, how bad is that! Nevertheless, I have the same concern. Also if there are not enough places this year - do we have to reapply for the next one or does the application stay open until May 2021? Does anybody have a clear plan what they will do if there won‘t be enough job offers for us?

LOL not really, I think it is out of 411 I am not sure. No it closes of this month then you have to reapply I guess.
Original post by Lena L

Not really, Lena; there are 418 people who were found appointable at the interviews.

Honestly, our chances of getting a job depend on additional vacancies arising or people who matched withdrawing. I'm hopeful; however, there are no guarantees. Cheers.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Doctor.strange
Hey buddy, don't lose hope yet. How about clearing round next week we have 2 rounds still, I think they need to check by then if people documents are full and in order, and if they withdraw etc..

I have read and heard that someone ranked beyond 325 matched today so lets not lose hope. Additionally, every year even in their guideline it states there are many LAS FY2 spots left so they give it out to deaneries to be filled. That means we should be given something before giving it out to deaneries ??

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's good news if someone ranked below 325 indeed got an offer.

Regarding the second part of your reply, it's true that there have been more jobs than appointable candidates in recent years. However, with increasing numbers of applicants, there is bound to be a year when not everyone found appointable at the interviews will get a job. Let's hope everyone gets an offer this year!
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's good news if someone ranked below 325 indeed got an offer.

Regarding the second part of your reply, it's true that there have been more jobs than appointable candidates in recent years. However, with increasing numbers of applicants, there is bound to be a year when not everyone found appointable at the interviews will get a job. Let's hope everyone gets an offer this year!

Indeed it is encouraging. Are you already registered with the GMC??
Indeed it is encouraging. Are you already registered with the GMC??

Yes, I am. What about you?
Yes, I am. What about you?

Yes I am, I noticed a lot of offers are being accepted by people who didn't submit there full GMC application yet or even passed plab 2. Do you think it will impact us?
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes I am, I noticed a lot of offers are being accepted by people who didn't submit there full GMC application yet or even passed plab 2. Do you think it will impact us?

It could. According to the Applicant Guide, candidates have up till the end of this month to show evidence of GMC registration. Since no PLAB2 exams are being conducted at the moment, those who are yet to fully register with the GMC may be unable to beat the deadline.

Of course, these are strange times and the UKFPO may just decide to extend the deadline or ask the GMC to conduct special exams for those candidates who have not yet passed PLAB2. There are problems with both approaches: the deadline can't be extended indefinitely and candidates definitely have to be GMC registered before the posts commence in early August. Conducting a special exam will be a logistic nightmare as well, especially for candidates who have to travel to the UK.

Regardless of what happens, I hope nobody has to drop out due to circumstances beyond their control. I also hope that additional spaces open to accommodate those of us without offers yet!
(edited 3 years ago)
It could. According to the Applicant Guide, candidates have up to the end of this month to show evidence of GMC registration. Since no PLAB2 exams are being conducted at the moment, those who are yet to fully register with the GMC may be unable to beat the deadline.

Of course, these are strange times and the UKFPO may just decide to extend the deadline or ask the GMC to conduct special exams for those candidates who have not yet passed PLAB2. There are problems with both approaches: the deadline can't be extended indefinitely and candidates definitely have to be GMC registered before the posts commence in early August. Conducting a special exam will be a logistic nightmare as well, especially for candidates who have to travel to the UK.

Regardless of what happens, I hope nobody has to drop out due to circumstances beyond their control. I also hope that additional spaces open to accommodate those of us without offers yet!

True said, it is already May and I am not sure about additional spots yet, I just don't want the match to close and posts will be left vacant in August because of these issues while neglecting us who are ready to practice and start the loop again.

Have you thought about emailing the UKFPO to clarify things, or you prefer to wait and see after the clearing round?
True said, it is already May and I am not sure about additional spots yet, I just don't want the match to close and posts will be left vacant in August because of these issues while neglecting us who are ready to practice and start the loop again.

Have you thought about emailing the UKFPO to clarify things, or you prefer to wait and see after the clearing round?

I think I'll wait for the outcome of the first round of clearing offers on Monday before sending a mail to the UKFPO.
Did anyone notice the new rankings for the clearing offers? I am ranked 29th and there are 28 jobs on offer (at the moment)... Quite apprehensive to say the least :frown:
Did anyone notice the new rankings for the clearing offers? I am ranked 29th and there are 28 jobs on offer (at the moment)... Quite apprehensive to say the least :frown:

still 2 rounds and someone might reject their offer or they might add more vacancies.
still 2 rounds and someone might reject their offer or they might add more vacancies.

Really hope they add more vacancies!
Hey guys! Hope you both are good? I got an offer today. I hope you both did as well. If not, keep up the hope, there is a further round of clearing offers :smile:
Hello,
I hope everyone is doing great. And happy ramadan (for all my muslim amigos).
I have been deemed appointable for FY2 standalone this year. However, my rank is between 355-360, not so great, and I didn't match in round 1.
This year there is somewhere in between 310-320 spots in total (some have 3 positions available). Also I read the stats in 2018 it seemed like everyone matched for FY2 standalone and they had more jobs to give as a LAS FY2 by the end of the clearing process .
I think its because not everyone has got their Full GMC yet, other job offers , evidence of English etc..
anyone has been in this situation previously? or anyone in my shoes right now want to share their thoughts.

What do you mean evidence of English?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending