The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Student Loan will be delayed, what to do?

Due to SFE needing me to send in additional evidence (multiple times, because F me I guess) my loan will be delayed for a couple of months at least at this rate. I won't be able to pay my second instalment of my accommodation fees (£1700) on October. How lenient is Plymouth with this type of stuff, I mean this is pretty much out of my hands. Will they give me a few weeks to get this sorted? Here's what it said on the website:
At eight weeks overdue:

Resnet connection will be withdrawn from the student residential bedroom.

Additionally,

Outstanding overdue fees which have not been agreed as a payment plan with Student Accommodation Office team will be passed to Treasury Services to be included in the process for deregistration under the Plymouth University Student Debtors and Deregistration Policy.

Does that Deregistration part mean that I will basically seize to be a student and will get kicked out? Is this written in stone or is there some wiggle room?
Do not panic! I'm at Plymouth Uni, and last year (my first year) my loan came through in late January.
And that was my Sept loan. So for the entire first semester I had no loan and lived on my overdraft.

I stayed in Unite halls, who are not so friendly about rent pay, and will try to charge 25% for late fees. However, you can argue this and avoid it. As long as you keep them up to date with your SFE application, they should keep off your back. This is the same for private landlords if you're in a shared house.

If your in Uni owned halls, (Robbins, Mary Newman ect ect) then explain to the accommodation office on campus (you'll be able to get a map from Reception in the Roland building so you'll find it!) that your loan is late, and give the dates you can provide the loan. If they're aware it is late, they won't kick you out! Just keep them up to date with when they will get there money.

Also if you're strapped for cash due to your late loan, go to the finance office, who can also lend you cash, with no interest or charges until your loan comes through. They add up your costs per week (phone bills, food, ect) and give you an amount depending on this. You can an agree a payment date to pay it back with them and they're very flexible!
(I also did this last year! Worked a treat :smile: )

Just don't panic, SFE is the worst company ever. And make so many mistakes, so you won't be the only student they've faced in this position. Just keep them in the net with what's going on and they will be plenty advice on campus and help for you in this situation. :smile:
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending