The Student Room Group

Financing graduate medicine

Hi,

Just making this post to ask a couple of questions before I start applying for loans to fund my upcoming grad medicine course. I'll just throw everything at you, so please ask for clarification on parts if required.

Thank you in advance for looking.

1) Is graduate medicine considered an Undergraduate or Postgraduate course when applying? I've been told it's both by different university officials.

2) While applying, does SFE know I don't get the full £9k odd for tuition, or do I need to inform them beforehand - also, what is stopping me from asking for the full amount?

Now the big questions.
I turn 25 less than a week after my course officially starts. I've been told that 25-year-olds count as independent for the maintenance loan so they aren't means-tested.

3.1) Is this true? I live with my parents if that makes a difference. If so, what is that difference?

3.2) If I apply for a maintenance loan at 24, and turn 25 in a few days after my course starts, is there enough wiggle room to apply as a 25-year-old for that independent status, or do I have to wait until I'm 25 to apply and have maintenance delayed by a month or three?

Again, please ask for clarity if required, and thanks for looking.
Hi nheat99,

Graduate entry medicine attracts undergraduate funding

In regards to tuition fees, Year 1 You will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.If you want a tuition fee loan they need to confirm the amount they want to borrow on the Loan Request Form

It is true that once you turn 25 you are automatically classed as an Independent student. From this point onwards, we will not take your parents' income into account when means testing your maintenance loan. If you living with this parents the only difference this will make is that you will be awarded the parental home rate of maintenance loan which is a lower rate.

We class you as an Independent student if you are 25 before the start of the academic year, if you are 24 at the start you will have to wait until the next academic year to be classed as an Independent student

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 2
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi nheat99,

Graduate entry medicine attracts undergraduate funding

In regards to tuition fees, Year 1 You will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.If you want a tuition fee loan they need to confirm the amount they want to borrow on the Loan Request Form

It is true that once you turn 25 you are automatically classed as an Independent student. From this point onwards, we will not take your parents' income into account when means testing your maintenance loan. If you living with this parents the only difference this will make is that you will be awarded the parental home rate of maintenance loan which is a lower rate.

We class you as an Independent student if you are 25 before the start of the academic year, if you are 24 at the start you will have to wait until the next academic year to be classed as an Independent student

Thanks,
Calum
Hi Calum,

Thanks for the reply, you've pretty much cleared up everything.
I just want to clarify, in regards to being 24 before the start of the academic year, that even if I applied for my maintenance loan after I turned 25, I would still have to wait until my second year before I would be considered an independent student?

Thanks,
Nat
Original post by nheat99
Hi Calum,
Thanks for the reply, you've pretty much cleared up everything.
I just want to clarify, in regards to being 24 before the start of the academic year, that even if I applied for my maintenance loan after I turned 25, I would still have to wait until my second year before I would be considered an independent student?
Thanks,
Nat
Hi there, that is correct. You would need to be 25 prior to the Academic Year starting to be classed as independent. For yourself, this would be your next year of the course. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending