The Student Room Group

Exams didnt go to plan - wanting to do medicine

I am currently unsure as to what to do. I am on a gap year and am hoping to work part time at the local hospital. I am wondering what my options are to study medicine. My grades are as follows:
Maths - A
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - B

I am thinking of reapplying through ucas for plymouth and brighton and sussex, but am also thinking of applying abroad and more specifically to Charles university Prague. Im not quite sure how to go about applying to Charles university for 2014 entry, and would appreciate advice from anyone who has done so in the past. I am planning to retake a few modules to push biology, chemistry and physics to an A grade. I am considering post graduate, but as a last resort. Studying abroad seems the most likely option for me. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!!
hey there, it's a bit of a sticky situation although well done on those results. i know with the pressure of medicine applications anything below A can seem like failure, but 4 good A levels is still an achievment.

it does make applying difficult as only a few med schools consider resit applicants. Do you have any extentuating circumstances, it'd certainly make your time a bit easier. If not, I know Keele, UEA, liverpool and lancaster accept resit applicants but I am not familiar with their individual policies so they're something to look into for you. Can't help you on the Prague job I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Not looking great for UK unis, but I know several european med schools are happy with BBB which you have. Google will tell you more about which unis are available to you, and probably how you can apply.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_EU_medical_schools
Keep in mind that getting into EU med schools is not the difficult part, staying in is very difficult because the course is not easy.
Reply 4
Original post by Don Tonberry
I am currently unsure as to what to do. I am on a gap year and am hoping to work part time at the local hospital. I am wondering what my options are to study medicine. My grades are as follows:
Maths - A
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - B

I am thinking of reapplying through ucas for plymouth and brighton and sussex, but am also thinking of applying abroad and more specifically to Charles university Prague. Im not quite sure how to go about applying to Charles university for 2014 entry, and would appreciate advice from anyone who has done so in the past. I am planning to retake a few modules to push biology, chemistry and physics to an A grade. I am considering post graduate, but as a last resort. Studying abroad seems the most likely option for me. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

have a few mates going to uni abroad for medicine, one going to Charles. you need to apply to an agency who will help you with the admissions process. you will then sit an entrance test of maths and science ( AS standard as far as I'm aware) they will ask you a few questions "why med" etc.
but do you see yourself abroad for the next 6 years? and you have to at least learn some of the language
Original post by 2013leaver
have a few mates going to uni abroad for medicine, one going to Charles. you need to apply to an agency who will help you with the admissions process. you will then sit an entrance test of maths and science ( AS standard as far as I'm aware) they will ask you a few questions "why med" etc.
but do you see yourself abroad for the next 6 years? and you have to at least learn some of the language

Applying through an agency is usually a waste of money. Apply directly to the university. I go to masaryk and if you go on the wiki page I linked, it shows how you can apply yourself. There's also info about Charles, Palacky and other EU med schools.
Reply 6
Original post by Bunicornaces
Applying through an agency is usually a waste of money. Apply directly to the university. I go to masaryk and if you go on the wiki page I linked, it shows how you can apply yourself. There's also info about Charles, Palacky and other EU med schools.

I agree with you, don't bother to pay an agency, use a free agency and you actually save money :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice, I was really confused as to how to apply abroad, but this helped. I think i can see myself studying aborad, i was worried at first but I think once im settled it will be great. Learning the language might be a bit annoying, I never was really good at stuff like that.
Reply 8
Thanks for the advice, I was really confused as to how to apply abroad, but this helped. I think i can see myself studying aborad, i was worried at first but I think once im settled it will be great. Learning the language might be a bit annoying, I never was really good at stuff like that.

Learning a language is about how you choose to engage with it. You do not need to learn french to survive in the UK. You only know how good you are when you go to another country and then learn the language on a daily basis. Speak to the guys at outreach education if you want some advice on applying, they are free.

I will be going to the student world in October (www.thestudentworld.com). might be a good idea if you are looking at doing this?
Reply 9
Maths - A
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - B

I am currently a first year dentist at Palacky University in the Czech Republic. I would seriously recommend coming to Palacky University as all the facilities are modern, state of the art and less than a tear old. And it is GMC accredited.
Reply 10
What I know about Charles University is that they have entrance exams that we can do in many places in europe.Well, there they have 3 types of med schools, so you can enter in any of them by taking the exam.You can also take an SAT to entre in the second med school.It's just one more option.I'm from Brazil and I'm considering taking the SAT maybe in 2015 or later on.I had some bad grades at school so I need to study a lot.
Reply 11
My UKCAT score was 2890, which is 722.5 average with Band 1, do you think this changes anything for applications to the UK? And also which universities in the UK should I apply to?
Original post by vsmahal
I am currently a first year dentist at Palacky University in the Czech Republic. I would seriously recommend coming to Palacky University as all the facilities are modern, state of the art and less than a tear old. And it is GMC accredited.

Hi, I've recently been accepted to palacky and have so many questions. How are you finding it there? Could you please tell me the pros and cons? Is the quality of education up to par? Is learning czech hard? Is Olomouc a good city? Being black, do you think there is any disadvantage in mixing in there? Medicine is 6 years but, apparently the last year is equivalent to FY1 in the UK, and I can jump right into FY2? Also, can I transfer after one year to a UK school? Please reply, as I am really confused. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Martina_
Hi, I've recently been accepted to palacky and have so many questions. How are you finding it there? Could you please tell me the pros and cons? Is the quality of education up to par? Is learning czech hard? Is Olomouc a good city? Being black, do you think there is any disadvantage in mixing in there? Medicine is 6 years but, apparently the last year is equivalent to FY1 in the UK, and I can jump right into FY2? Also, can I transfer after one year to a UK school? Please reply, as I am really confused. Thank you :smile:

OP hasn't been online since January so you are unlikely to get an answer. You'll do better to post in the medicine forum, which has a lot of threads on studying medicine abroad which might answer your questions.
Reply 14
Original post by carnationlilyrose
OP hasn't been online since January so you are unlikely to get an answer. You'll do better to post in the medicine forum, which has a lot of threads on studying medicine abroad which might answer your questions.

Responded! :biggrin: :smile:
I'm hoping to go to Palacky to do dentistry in September, just got to pass the entrance exam later this month. I went there in early April to have a look around and Olomouc is a cool city. Pretty quiet but in my opinion that's better in a foreign country, certainly to start with. The facilities all looked really good as well which is a huge bonus. And the students who are already there are all pretty cool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending