The Student Room Group

Making an academic comeback

Is it too late for me to make an academic comeback. I have mocks this week and if I’m being an honest I’ve done no revision at all but I have become motivated to work as I’ve reflected at home much of the past two years I’ve wasted I did well in my GCSEs but after that I had an “academic crash” and did nothing for the whole Year 12 and got B in bio, E in Chem and a U in maths.

I know that I will work hard but is it realistic to say I could get a A* AA because I hope to study medicine?
Has anyone ever done this and if so how any tips will help I’ve only got 5 months till the really thing!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
its kind of unlikely you would get that high of a grade when u havent revised . as someone who crashed during covid i didnt bother revising for both of my mocks and in the end nothing much changed for my real exams when they came around i barely studied for them and i got a very average score. im not trying to let you down but its more realistic that the highest you can probably get is ABB and that is if you put lots of hard work however if you dont work hard you are most likely to get similar to your mocks
and sorry to break it to you but u might need to consider a differenet career as BEU as ur predicted grades for ucas is **** and my friend got rejected from oxford and imperial with 3 A*s as predicted so compared to that its not looking good for at all

also you dont HAVE to do medicine there are many different career pathways you could get into
how about try going the apprentice route?

hope that helps!!
Reply 2
Original post by SookieGilmore
Is it too late for me to make an academic comeback. I have mocks this week and if I’m being an honest I’ve done no revision at all but I have become motivated to work as I’ve reflected at home much of the past two years I’ve wasted I did well in my GCSEs but after that I had an “academic crash” and did nothing for the whole Year 12 and got B in bio, E in Chem and a U in maths.

I know that I will work hard but is it realistic to say I could get a A* AA because I hope to study medicine?
Has anyone ever done this and if so how any tips will help I’ve only got 5 months till the really thing!

did you apply to medicine already? because if you did, you would probably know half of your answer. Is it possible to get A*AA from BEU? Yes, everything is possible even to 3A*. Is it realistic? No. But can I do it considering my grades? Easily but it depends on you.
Reply 3
Original post by Jack39
did you apply to medicine already? because if you did, you would probably know half of your answer. Is it possible to get A*AA from BEU? Yes, everything is possible even to 3A*. Is it realistic? No. But can I do it considering my grades? Easily but it depends on you.

I didn’t apply to Uni as I am taking a gap year so i don’t have to use my current predicted grades. But thank you for the advice I’ll work hard and have shifted my goal to BBB
Reply 4
Original post by shuu0007
its kind of unlikely you would get that high of a grade when u havent revised . as someone who crashed during covid i didnt bother revising for both of my mocks and in the end nothing much changed for my real exams when they came around i barely studied for them and i got a very average score. im not trying to let you down but its more realistic that the highest you can probably get is ABB and that is if you put lots of hard work however if you dont work hard you are most likely to get similar to your mocks
and sorry to break it to you but u might need to consider a differenet career as BEU as ur predicted grades for ucas is **** and my friend got rejected from oxford and imperial with 3 A*s as predicted so compared to that its not looking good for at all

also you dont HAVE to do medicine there are many different career pathways you could get into
how about try going the apprentice route?

hope that helps!!

ABB would be good enough for me as I have been doing research and found. That there are other pathways to studying medicine. Thanks for the reply though it really helps put things into perspective and reassess my academic goals!

At this point mocks don't really matter as you should aready have your predicted grades. Focus on your actual exams, consistently revise starting from today and you will achieve what you deserve.
There is no easy method to achieve the grades you want as at the end of the day its about work ethic.
Reply 6

I think that with the right work ethic you could get them up to AAB (maybe even AAA as that’s what most unis ask for) !! it’s definitely possible but it wont be easy, but if you’re willing to put the work in, you can 🙂 as someone who has applied to med this year, i would definitely recommend just focusing on getting the grades then worry about applications next year if you’re planning on taking a gap year! if you need any tips from a fellow year 13 taking the same subjects i'm happy to recommend anything!
Reply 7
Original post by aalimk
I think that with the right work ethic you could get them up to AAB (maybe even AAA as that’s what most unis ask for) !! it’s definitely possible but it wont be easy, but if you’re willing to put the work in, you can 🙂 as someone who has applied to med this year, i would definitely recommend just focusing on getting the grades then worry about applications next year if you’re planning on taking a gap year! if you need any tips from a fellow year 13 taking the same subjects i'm happy to recommend anything!

I would love any tips you have with chem and biology especially with how to overcome their picky markschemes 😭. As I have started to revise more seriously I find that as I go over ppq I’m saying the right things but would not be awarded the marks! Really frustrating!
Reply 8
I would love any tips you have with chem and biology especially with how to overcome their picky markschemes 😭. As I have started to revise more seriously I find that as I go over ppq I’m saying the right things but would not be awarded the marks! Really frustrating!

i use a colour coding method:
green = highlight language that was correct and i should continue to use
orange = i was on the right lines but used incorrect language or silly mistake or miscalculation
red = i had no clue

making sure you’re actually revising from these corrected questions is really important! so i recommend adjusting your flashcards (if you use them) or notes to the correct terminology. You’ll see patterns in questions so it’s manipulating your brain into making those little connections, eg. water movement? you have to say via osmosis, eg 2. diffusion? mention a diffusion/concentration gradient. it’s those little connections you have to force yourself to make.

most processes require the same language and can be repeated for questions so i would recommend rewriting those processes, eg. translation and transcription, again and again using language from the mark scheme until you can write it word for word.

hope this helps!!

I'm in the same position, did well at GCSEs but have lost motivation for a levels, I'm predicted AAA but I'm more at DDD, honestly i think if we apply ourselves from now to exams it is possible to move up a lot of grades but being dedicated to doing many hours of revision everyday is really tough if you struggle with motivation. I don't think its completely unrealistic though! Good luck!!!

Hey!

Firstly, good luck with the academic comeback.

I am a current Graduate Entry Medicine student, and just wanted to drop you a message to say that even if you don't achieve your predicted grades at A-Level, your medicine dream does not have to end. You could consider doing a different degree first and then applying to a Graduate Entry Medicine degree, like we have at Swansea. Check out our website for more details.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hope Henry - Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student and Swansea Student Ambassador.
Original post by aalimk
i use a colour coding method:
green = highlight language that was correct and i should continue to use
orange = i was on the right lines but used incorrect language or silly mistake or miscalculation
red = i had no clue

making sure you’re actually revising from these corrected questions is really important! so i recommend adjusting your flashcards (if you use them) or notes to the correct terminology. You’ll see patterns in questions so it’s manipulating your brain into making those little connections, eg. water movement? you have to say via osmosis, eg 2. diffusion? mention a diffusion/concentration gradient. it’s those little connections you have to force yourself to make.

most processes require the same language and can be repeated for questions so i would recommend rewriting those processes, eg. translation and transcription, again and again using language from the mark scheme until you can write it word for word.

hope this helps!!

Thank you so much this has been so helpful!!
Original post by emilieh78911
I'm in the same position, did well at GCSEs but have lost motivation for a levels, I'm predicted AAA but I'm more at DDD, honestly i think if we apply ourselves from now to exams it is possible to move up a lot of grades but being dedicated to doing many hours of revision everyday is really tough if you struggle with motivation. I don't think its completely unrealistic though! Good luck!!!

It definitely is really tough got my mock grade back and didn’t do as well as I’d hoped but I’m going to keep trying hoping to do better in the real thing!!! We’ve got this 😁
Reply 13

My friend went from getting a U at the start of y13 to a C in the acc thing and she worked really hard but chem jus wasnt it for her. You got a B in bio without revising so I personally feel like you can get AAB (maths is REALLy hard) just work hard. I got Ds all throughout y12 for chemistry but convinced my teacher to predict me an A and i’m literally getting As now in everything. Y13 chem is so much easier than y12 and it sort of links everything together and btw ive had 3 interviews for med! So I honestly think youve got this jus work as hard as you can

Quick Reply

Latest