The Student Room Group

Ethnic minorities learning Italian

Do you think it's strange that ethnic minorities might want to learn Italian? Seeing as it's not so useful a language. I've travelled to Italy a lot and love the country but do you think people would think it strange for a non-white person to learn it?
Reply 1
No.
Reply 2
Absolutely no! I was living in Italy for quite long period and in our class there were a lot of ethnic guys from Africa that they just like the language and wanted to learn, countries such as like Namibia, Nigeria, Ethiopia...
Reply 3
All in all do what you want and enjoy your life :wink:
Reply 4
No. Why would it be strange?
Because with French, Spanish etc lots of people speak the language. But with Italian it's not widely spoken so it might be odd for an ethnic minority to learn?
Reply 6
Original post by honeyandlemon
Because with French, Spanish etc lots of people speak the language. But with Italian it's not widely spoken so it might be odd for an ethnic minority to learn?

While it's not as popular as German, French, Mandarin or Spanish, it still has over 60 million speakers so it's not like it's an unused language. I wouldn't discount it because its speakers are predominantly white or because it's not a universal language. The UK isn't the only country that permits immigration so you're not alone when it comes to ethnicity.

It's up to you really. I'm sure it has its upsides.
(edited 10 years ago)
So what if everyone doesn't speak it? It makes it even more special!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Coffeetime
So what if everyone doesn't speak it? It makes it even more special!

This is a good point as well.
Anyone else?
I suppose it wouldn't be weird for an ethnic minority to learn it.
It would just be strange for anyone to learn it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending