The Student Room Group

Exchange to the UK

Hi there,

I am an Australian student of south asian descent. I am planning on doing exchange in the UK and have a choice out of: University of Roehampton, University of East Anglia, University of Exeter, University of York.

I am really confused about which university to pick.

- First, I am not very used to any prejudice based on my race in Australia, so I fear that if I face some away from home, that I will feel really isolated. I don't have any preconceptions of what to expect in terms of this, I just have a very big fear of that happening as I don't know how well I will be able to deal with it. In terms of this, what university would be best?
- Second, I do consider student/university life and nightlife as something to consider. I'm not necessarily that into clubbing, but am not opposed to it at all either. As long as there are things to do social-wise I'm quite happy. In terms of this, what university would be best?
- Third, I do intend to travel to other places in England, the UK and Europe as much as possible while on exchange. So in terms of transport (bus, trains) and airports, which university would be best?

Out of all these things to consider, if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I also don't mean any disrespect when I ask these questions, they are just fears of mine, travelling and living abroad for the first time alone. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I am an Australian student of south asian descent. I am planning on doing exchange in the UK and have a choice out of: University of Roehampton, University of East Anglia, University of Exeter, University of York.

I am really confused about which university to pick.

- First, I am not very used to any prejudice based on my race in Australia, so I fear that if I face some away from home, that I will feel really isolated. I don't have any preconceptions of what to expect in terms of this, I just have a very big fear of that happening as I don't know how well I will be able to deal with it. In terms of this, what university would be best?
- Second, I do consider student/university life and nightlife as something to consider. I'm not necessarily that into clubbing, but am not opposed to it at all either. As long as there are things to do social-wise I'm quite happy. In terms of this, what university would be best?
- Third, I do intend to travel to other places in England, the UK and Europe as much as possible while on exchange. So in terms of transport (bus, trains) and airports, which university would be best?

Out of all these things to consider, if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I also don't mean any disrespect when I ask these questions, they are just fears of mine, travelling and living abroad for the first time alone. :smile:

From the sound of things, it seems like you're in it more for the student experience as opposed to the learning.
My experience is only with UEA, so I am biased. However, I know a bit about the other universities, so I might be able to provide some sort of qualified opinion.

So you're concerned about racism? Racism is illegal in the country by law. If you're concerned about whether you feel included socially, it would depend on whether you can fit in. Most of the country is open and inclusive to people of other backgrounds.
From what I can tell, UEA has a diverse student background with people from other countries, so I would find it difficult to find yourself not being able to fit in.

York and Exeter are more isolated and have more concentrated learning environments. The nightlife there are not particularly well known.
Roehampton is in the middle of London, where most of the nightlife and parties in the country take place.
UEA is a close second when it comes to a good nightlife.

Exeter and York are in the more isolated parts of the country. Having said that, if you want to spend more time traveling along the south coast or the north east of the country, they're probably the better unis to go to.
UEA is based in Norwich, and whilst has a direct line to London, it generally doesn't have many links.
Roehampton is in London, and most transport links in the country point to and from London.

If you're coming here for the education though, I would probably prioritise Exeter and York over the other options.
Anon,

As an ethnic minority, I personally feel more comfortable in big cities as there is a bigger representation of minorities, but in general, most universities have British students from different ethnic backgrounds and a large proportion of international students, so I don't think you have to worry about standing out, but depending on where you go, you might see less/more people from your background.

In terms of diversity, social life and transport, it might be best to opt for London (Roehampton) but as the post above says, Exeter and York are more famed for their learning.

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending