The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't worry. The average person scores around 6.5-7. you'll do fine! =)
well, i'll say, speak to the british people as much as you can, u'll inprove very quickly. I just took the test last week , havent get my results yet. you can buy books to practice as well. I've got a thread in General Uni discussions. find it and read what ppl said.
Reply 3
Two words: SAMPLE PAPERS. They really help!
Oh and don't underestimate the Listening part; I did and I was practically guessing the answers to the questions - not a good position to be in. Clean your ears and PAY ATTENTION.

Anyway, I was quite surprised that I still managed to get 8.0 overall after that horrible Listening part. Hopefully you'll do very well. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
oH god. you r such an expert. i i couldnt imagine i would get 8. i'm not quite good at language.
blurboy
Don't worry. The average person scores around 6.5-7. you'll do fine! =)

I don't want to scare anybody but this linkhttp://www.ielts.org/teachersandresearchers/analysisoftestdata/article238.aspx shows an overall average of approximately 5,9-6,0
Reply 6
Do a LOT of pratices papers would b the key!im pretty bad in English (as u can tell from this post!), i did my test in late May, b4 the test I did about 8 full papers n it did really help a lot!try to stick w/ the time as well.look for tips from others n here are sum tips from me.. hope this help lol

the listening part is not as bad, tho u need to make sure u pay attention to the WHOLE sentenses b4 u put the answer down!they always trick u by telling u one answer first then decided they change their their mind n tell u sumthing different.

personally i thk the reading part is the hardest!seriously i got anything between 45-80% right in the practice papers n its pretty scary! tho reading can b improved by reading a lot, try to "guess" from titles n the first sentense if ur not familiar w/ the topics. sum ppl have said the reading part can b done in a "skim and throught" method which mean u do not need to understand the passage at all, wat u need to do is to mark down the key points n answer the questions. other thing that i found really helpful was to answer the questions as u read the passage coz most of the question are roughly the same order of the contents(n also i found it impossible to remember the passage at all after i finished the whole thing!). N make sure u finish the passage1 in the first 30 mins n this shd jus give u jus enuf time for the harder ones later!

speaking is not too bad jus talk a lot w/ English to improve, n made up the rest wat ever the examiner ask!try to find out different past topics as well, n this is the bit that i din practise a lot so thats all i can say..

writing is my second worst weakness! part from doing a lot of writing of 250 n 150 words within the time limit, wat u can do b4 the exam is to find out sum sentences structure that u use a lot or familiar w/ n stick to them(try to vary the structures at the same time as well!), this can save time thking during the exma!then read example/ model answers from other ppl for task 1 n 2 (especially those one classed as band 6,7 score) then try to "imitate" n practise them!

lol this post is sooo long n i hope this helps lol..
good luck w/ the exams
Reply 7
It's quite easy as people say. I got an 8 and never lived in english speaking country, or used the language more than for watching tv, reading some articles or couple of books in english.

In my opinion writing was the hardest since I rarely write anything, just read or listen. Speaking was just like any conversation and reading was like any test where you have a little time to answer easy questions.

And I didn't do any kind of practice before it, just read the instructions they sent me. If you are not good enough now, you will hardly be when it's time for the test.

Good luck!
Reply 8
have a look here http://www.aippg.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6 a lot of useful tips...
I'm taking my IELTs test on thursday. I haven't really prepared but I'm bilingual and hope that it shouldn't really be a severe problem... hopefully
Reply 10
austrian guy
I'm taking my IELTs test on thursday. I haven't really prepared but I'm bilingual and hope that it shouldn't really be a severe problem... hopefully

good luck!!
know the format of the test. if you speak english just fine, it's not a problem. I didn't take IELTS myself, I took TOEFL, which is the same thing :smile:
maciek
good luck!!

thanks!

p.s.: That link you provided makes me shiver. How to learn for IELTS in 10 months... Those people prepare really hard, I starting to get afraid.
Reply 13
i got 8 from all parts except writing(got 7 from it). writing was rather hard, because I was prepairing on my own and hadn't my essay's checked.but i tried to write as close as possible to the given examples, because they are gives the main idea, how it should look like. i've done 4 ielts books, each included 4 full tests and it was enough for me... :smile: i haven't been in english speaking country and haven't spoken to any english people. of course, i was speaking a bit during lessons at school ... :smile: listening and reading are parts which can you improve easily, you just have to practice a lot! :smile: so, good luck! :smile:
so, I took the test yesterday.

Listening and speaking were really straightforward and I think I did well. But the reading was a little more difficult, haven't got a clue how well I did, actually that was the same for writing aswell, although I liked the tasks.
knight008
im going to take an ielts next month. i quite worry about it now as my uni requires 6.5-7 points. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
My listening is ok but writing, speaking and reading are my weak part. how can i improve them in such a short time?i'm really upset now.:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

go and join a IELTS intensive course :biggrin:
Austrian_guy: I'm sure u'll pass with flying colours! your english is way much better than mine! Don't you worry about it!!

I did that last month; met the condition from the uni so was well happy!! However i wasnt happy with my achievement because mine wasn't a good pass, it was only 6.5!! HOW BAD that was!!! so embarrasing!!!! i would like to get at least 7. So i'll still work on my English so that i get better on future!
Reply 17
I'm taking the test in a month and getting a bit worried aswell. It's just that... I took the pre-test a few days ago and didn't manage to finish the writing part on time. I couldn't focus on anything. It really got me frustrated. But I believe if I practice a bit more, I'll be able to get a decent score. The same goes with you :smile: So yeah... all I could recommend you to do is practice, practice, practice...
I just got my IELTS results.

I am happy with the overall score but I feel I should have done better in the writing exam. At least I now have fulfilled my offer conditions:

Listening: 8,5 Reading: 8,0 Writing: 7 Speaking: 9. Overall: 8,0
Reply 19
Good luck you guys!
My overall score is 7.0 which is good as i thought i'll get less. I could have done better in the speaking part but had to talk about a very boring topic (buldings) :smile: anyways... i also tried TOEFL test which was much easier in my opinion! (618) maybe because it doesn't have speaking :biggrin:

Latest