The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Dalek1099
I have realised how you do this now-the battery's resistance must act in series and I think this is because if you see this on proper diagrams the battery's virtual circuit is a separate bunch compared to the other resistors and the other two in parallel giving the total resistance as 8 +1/(1/8+1/8)=8+1/(2/8)=8+4+12 so I=1 because V=IR I=V/R=12/12=1 the current flowing though the battery is 1 and P=I^2R=1^2*8=8 watts and the current flowing through each of the other resistors is 1/2=0.5 so P=I^2R=0.5^2*8=0.25*8=2 watts for both of them.

Thanks for this, I understand what you're doing but why cant you work out the Current for the 2 parallel resistors using the formula I=V/R

I understand that since the battery produces 1A of current current is different in parallel and since the resistance is the same for both resistors the current will split equally. But say they weren't the same how would you work out the current because I=V/R wouldnt work

I = 12/8

for the resistor and that would give u 1.5 for the current through the resistor which is clearly wrong :frown:
Reply 381
Hello all it's great this thread exists thank you! :smile:
Reply 382
Original post by AhmedDavid
Ok I need help agaiin guys, I really appreciate the help I get.

I was attempting some questions and I couldnt figure out how to do it after leaving it and coming back to it. The question is the following:

Two 8(Ohm) resistors and a battery of emf 12.0v and internal resistance 8 (Ohm) are connected in series with each othe. Sketch the circuit diagram and calculate

i) The power delivered to each external resistor

ii) The power wasted due to internal resistance
(These questions I get is part b I dont understand) Read on

b) The two 8 (Ohm) resistors in a are reconnected in parallel with each other then connected to the same battery. Sketch the circuit diagram and calculate

i) The power delivered to each external resistor

ii) The power wasted to internal resistance

I got the following as what I thought the circuit would look like
Physics question.png
(This is the question I dont understand part bi() and I havent attempted bii) yet

I need help with this question, I cant believe Ive not been able to do it for 3days running now :frown: :angry:

Ive changed my idea of how I think the circuit is

Physics question.png
Original post by AhmedDavid
Thanks for this, I understand what you're doing but why cant you work out the Current for the 2 parallel resistors using the formula I=V/R

I understand that since the battery produces 1A of current current is different in parallel and since the resistance is the same for both resistors the current will split equally. But say they weren't the same how would you work out the current because I=V/R wouldnt work

I = 12/8

for the resistor and that would give u 1.5 for the current through the resistor which is clearly wrong :frown:

V=IR would work but albeit differently because in parallel the voltage remains the same across the same parallel batch.The first thing you do when calculating these kinds of questions is calculate the overall resistance for all the series(R1+R2+R3...) and parallel(1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3....)) and then you divide the overall voltage(emf providing no internal resistance) by overall resistance to get the overall current.Use the overall current and resistance of a resistor to calculate the voltage flowing through all the series components and subtract this from the overall voltage and because voltage is the same in parallel then all components in parallel have the same voltage and you know their resistance so you can calculate the current flowing through each off them in parallel.
Hey, does anyone know any good resources for chapter 2 quarks and leptons. Im finding it a bit confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Terminator95
Hey, does anyone know any good resources for chapter 2 quarks and leptons. Im finding it a bit confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:ahee:

[video="youtube;U0kXkWXSXRA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kXkWXSXRA[/video]
Reply 386
Original post by MangoFreak
:ahee:

[video="youtube;U0kXkWXSXRA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kXkWXSXRA[/video]

YES Hank Green. Love that song. :elefant:
Reply 387
Original post by physicso
I was wondering if anyone could help here - i got the right answer but am sure my method is incorrect...

'Calculate the resistance of a heating element designed to operate at 60W and 12V'.

Using V=W/Q, i got Q=5C.

Using P = I^2(R); 60 = 25(R) gives R = 2.4Ohms, the right answer.

However, i have used Q (Charge) instead of I (Current) but still still got the right answer, even though Q = I*t??????

Any help appreciated!

Using p=IV ; 60/12=5
using V=IR ;rearrange the eq to get R=V/I ;12/5= 2.4ohms
hope that helps!!
Original post by Nat_LPS
Hello all it's great this thread exists thank you! :smile:

I have the same opinion as you. The thread enables to 'collect' the AS questions and problems and to give specific answers in physics. May I ask you what interest you most of all in physics?
Reply 389
I cant quote you for some reason sorry :s-smilie:
Well i enjoyed the whole subject at gcse but starting to read a bit more into what exactly I'm learning about now which is turning out much more interesting :smile: Physics is just everywhere and confusing, but at the moment, until I find out exactly everything about the world of quantum mechanics (I guess coz I really like chemistry and those electrons and such :tongue: ), I cant seem to read about much else.
And colour/light and mirrors.
Time.
Just shtuff.
Passing the AS level :tongue:

What about yourself?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nat_LPS
(...) What about yourself?

I like so much kinds of physics, but nuclear and quantum physics most of all. Mechanics is interesting too.
Reply 391
Original post by Kallisto
I like so much kinds of physics, but nuclear and quantum physics most of all. Mechanics is interesting too.

Awesome. Have u just started AS too?ive actually considered going into something to do with nuclear. Apparently physics gets much harder next year :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nat_LPS
Apparently physics gets much harder next year :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all relative :mmm:
Original post by Nat_LPS
Awesome. Have u just started AS too? (...)

If I don't have started AS physics, I would not be here. :tongue: At the moment I'm studying more details of quantum and nuclear physics.
Original post by MangoFreak
It's all relative :mmm:

:mmm: very good
If I don't have started AS physics, I would not be here. :tongue: At the moment I'm studying more details of quantum and nuclear physics.

If I hadn't started AS Physics*

How old are you?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:mmm: very good

If I hadn't started AS Physics*

How old are you?

As you can take from my profile, I'm 28. No one is too old to learn physics.
As you can take from my profile, I'm 28. No one is too old to learn physics.

I was just curious :tongue:
Reply 397
I've been told the only leptons which are stable are electrons and their neutrinos.
So thats electrons and electron neutrinos right?
How do the other leptons become stable if they don't decay?/are fundamental? Why are they not 'stable'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 398
Original post by Nat_LPS
I've been told the only leptons which are stable are electrons and their neutrinos.
How do the other leptons become stable if they don't decay?/are fundamental? Why are they not 'stable'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tau and muon do decay?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by Nat_LPS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Particles are fundamental simply because they aren't made up of any smaller particles. They can still decay, and do.

Latest