The Student Room Group

What 'should' be the role of modern technology in education?

What 'should' be the role of modern technology in education? :biggrin:
My argument for this is that 'modern technology' provides us a whole lot more of convenience. For me, it was not something massive such as Internet. Instead, I consider 'e-book' , something that may seems trivial, extremely beneficial. Honestly, if 'e-book' wasn't available, I would have to bring a 600-pages business book to school and bring it home every single day.

However, it can be a very distracting as we live in the world with the constant usage of social networks (facebook,...)
- people should be taught how to utilise the Internet as a tool for academia using search parameters and boolean algebra in order to manipulate what is fetched from the database.

- people should be taught how to accurately assess information and its validity.

- people should not be formally taught how to use a computer system until high school, teaching children how to use software such as MS Word which may become redundant and obsolete is not only not beneficial for the most part, but can be grasped by children very easily (it certainly doesn't take from year 5 to year 11 to learn the skills that are on the current ICT curriculum, some people start programming at around 11 years old (I started at 14).

- videos should be used to make the lessons more flexible and entertaining, you'll also find many individuals receive information better from visual procedures (although I don't know how strong the evidence is for different types of learners, and frankly i'm sceptial even hinting at it being a load of crap).

- people should be taught about Internet safety, as well as Internet safety and security they should also be taught about health and safety issues in relation to the Internet.

- e-books should become more widespread for titles which are used frequently, they should be available for free access (or a slight fee) online if schools and colleges subscribe.

- computer science should be introduced as a key subject, teaching students how to use a programming language such as Python to model mathematical algorithms which would be useful for teaching those who aren't as interested in mathematics but are computers to bridge the gap.

... more to come.
Reply 2
I think established Language Media like Pimsleur or Assimil should be used in the classroom. Language labs also seem useful:

In an average foreign-language class, all students combined speak only 23,5% of the class time (DESI 2006, pg. 48-49).

In a 45-minute long class 23,5% equals approximately 10 ½ minutes. As this number is the speaking time of all students put together, the time each student gets to practice speaking becomes less as class size is increased.

How much speaking practice each student gets during a 45-minute foreign-language class, depending on class size:

10 student class 30 student class
Traditional classroom ~1 minute ~21 seconds
Classroom with language lab ~11 minutes* ~11 minutes*
With a language lab, all students in the class can speak simultaneously without distracting each other regardless of the class size. Without a language lab, in a class of more than 10 students, each student gets less than one minute of speaking practice.

There also is excellent literacy software, which trains pupils to read and spell. I think this would be useful for all pupils but especially so in big classes where pupils can become anonymous very quickly. In that case software is very useful to make sure every pupil practises as much as he can and to monitor pupils' progress.

I think there is also numeracy software but I haven't looked into it.

I think software is especially useful to teach basic routines that mainly have to be memorised (first reading/spelling, times tables, basic numeracy). Because it is so important that EVERY pupil gets a solid foundation in these basics I think software should be used routinely, for pupils to practise intensively and gain confidence and for teachers to monitor them in an easy straightforward way.

At higher levels, I think a good teacher only really needs a blackboard, some chalk and some charisma. I personally dislike powerpoint presentations for teaching, but I think short movies and animations are useful, especially in science. Anything that requires action on part of pupils is also useful if only because it makes sure pupils can't just blank out during the lesson.

----

And, like the other poster said, pupils should be taught programming. It is a great skill that combines logical thinking with creativity and would make a fantastic school subject - if there are teachers who can teach it properly.

Basic IT on the other hand I would not have as a separate subject; instead I would incorporate the use of IT (by pupils) as a matter of course into all other subjects (e.g. spreadsheets in Geography and Sciences, word processing and presentations in English and History, animations in Art and Sciences).
(edited 10 years ago)
Technology is one of the most important game changer in any industry. Even in education, technology can assist in widening the perceptive and expand the knowledge of the students whether through the internet, e-books, educational games etc. Thus it is vital not only for our convenience but also for progress. With modernisation and development taking place in the technological sector we are going to have many more such options that aid in enhancing the quality of education. Thus, to maintain the progress and increase the quality of education modern technology must be well understood and taught in order to incorporate it and derive full benefit from it.
I would much prefer a chalk board to a smart board.
Original post by John Stuart Mill
- people should be taught how to utilise the Internet as a tool for academia using search parameters and boolean algebra in order to manipulate what is fetched from the database.

- people should be taught how to accurately assess information and its validity.

- people should not be formally taught how to use a computer system until high school, teaching children how to use software such as MS Word which may become redundant and obsolete is not only not beneficial for the most part, but can be grasped by children very easily (it certainly doesn't take from year 5 to year 11 to learn the skills that are on the current ICT curriculum, some people start programming at around 11 years old (I started at 14).

- videos should be used to make the lessons more flexible and entertaining, you'll also find many individuals receive information better from visual procedures (although I don't know how strong the evidence is for different types of learners, and frankly i'm sceptial even hinting at it being a load of crap).

- people should be taught about Internet safety, as well as Internet safety and security they should also be taught about health and safety issues in relation to the Internet.

- e-books should become more widespread for titles which are used frequently, they should be available for free access (or a slight fee) online if schools and colleges subscribe.

- computer science should be introduced as a key subject, teaching students how to use a programming language such as Python to model mathematical algorithms which would be useful for teaching those who aren't as interested in mathematics but are computers to bridge the gap.

... more to come.

These are great ideas :biggrin:

I think a lot of the challenge for teachers is that fact kids learn in many different ways and you have to try and help all of them. For example I'm an auditory learner so I understand and recall things better if I hear them (so I like being lectured). the advantage of technology is it could provide many different approaches to the same topic optimised for your learning type. I think learning type assessment should take place after about year 3/4 of primary school so pupils know which ones they are.

I think technology can really help engage pupils and e-books are better for schools who can just invest in e-readers rather than lots of different textbooks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending