The Student Room Group

What type of degree do I get

Hi I obtained 120 credits from Level 4, 120 credits from Level 5 and 90 credits at Level 6 out of a possible 360 credits for a Bsc in Computer Networks and Technology (Digital Technology). What type of degree award would I walk away with and does 330/360 credits kind of show any under value or worth especially now that I have a degree…:frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I obtained 120 credits from Level 4, 120 credits from Level 5 and 90 credits at Level 6 out of a possible 360 credits for a Bsc in Computer Networks and Technology (Digital Technology). What type of degree award would I walk away with and does 330/360 credits kind of show any under value or worth especially now that I have a degree…:frown:

This will depend on the university, and its academic regulations. Which university are you at?

You need the full 360 credits to be awared a degree. Even with 330, you'll only be awarded a Diploma of Higher Education (also down as a DipHE).

If it's a degree apprenticeship you're doing, you most likely won't be allowed to graduate until you obtain the remaining 30 credits.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
This will depend on the university, and its academic regulations. Which university are you at?

University of Hertfordshire
Reply 4
You need the full 360 credits to be awared a degree. Even with 330, you'll only be awarded a Diploma of Higher Education (also down as a DipHE).

If it's a degree apprenticeship you're doing, you most likely won't be allowed to graduate until you obtain the remaining 30 credits.

I’m not doing a degree apprenticeship and unfortunately I filled in a adverse circumstances form to have a deferral opportunity yet the university denied it…
Reply 5
My university requires me to gain at least 90 credits to pass Level 6 and for my degree to be classified which I got…
Reply 6
My Level 5 Grades were: 69,65,65,62,55,42,41,40
My Level 6 Grades were: 65,53,48 and the other 2 15 credit modules I had no chance to do at referral/deferral and I had a pending grade of 5% and 16% for those two modules…
University of Hertfordshire

See their Academic Handbook, here.

Section 8 (Bachelor's Degrees) within UPR AS11 (Schedule of Awards) - on page 138 - says that a Bachelor's Degree (without honours) requires 300 credits of which 60 must be at level 6. As you meet those requirements, this seems a likely exit award.

This means you'd have a degree, just not a honours degree. So it'd be BA not BA (Hons), or BSc not BSc (Hons).
Reply 8
My university requires me to gain at least 90 credits to pass Level 6 and for my degree to be classified which I got…

The classification might be based on your best 90 credits at level 6, but you'll almost certainly need to have been awarded credit for 360 credits in total.

Without doing too much reading of the regulations, it seems likely that @DataVenia is correct and you'll be entitled to a degree without honours.

I would suggest that you get advice from your Student Union as to whether/how you can appeal the decision regarding having a deferral opportunity.
Reply 9
See their Academic Handbook, here.

Section 8 (Bachelor's Degrees) within UPR AS11 (Schedule of Awards) - on page 138 - says that a Bachelor's Degree (without honours) requires 300 credits of which 60 must be at level 6. As you meet those requirements, this seems a likely exit award.

This means you'd have a degree, just not a honours degree. So it'd be BA not BA (Hons), or BSc not BSc (Hons).

Is that good or bad
Is that good or bad

What would be looking to do after university? Let's assume you want to get a got in the IT industry, given the "Bsc in Computer Networks and Technology (Digital Technology)" degree. Take a look on-line and search for jobs to which you might be interested in applying. Those which state a requirement for "Degree in IT-related field" (or similar) will be fine. Those which state a requirement for "Honours degree in an IT-related field", not so much.
Reply 11
What would be looking to do after university? Let's assume you want to get a got in the IT industry, given the "Bsc in Computer Networks and Technology (Digital Technology)" degree. Take a look on-line and search for jobs to which you might be interested in applying. Those which state a requirement for "Degree in IT-related field" (or similar) will be fine. Those which state a requirement for "Honours degree in an IT-related field", not so much.

Well I would like to please do Junior Technician or First Line, Second Line Technical Support Job
Well I would like to please do Junior Technician or First Line, Second Line Technical Support Job

How were you planning on locating such a job? Were you planning to use job web sites on-line, the "careers" section of the web site of particular target companies, the classified ads at the back of your local newspaper, ads in your local newsagent window? Whatever approach you were planning on using, take that approach now - not to actually apply, but to check what sort of degree they're expecting to see.
Reply 13
How were you planning on locating such a job? Were you planning to use job web sites on-line, the "careers" section of the web site of particular target companies, the classified ads at the back of your local newspaper, ads in your local newsagent window? Whatever approach you were planning on using, take that approach now - not to actually apply, but to check what sort of degree they're expecting to see.

Ideally a job board website
Ideally a job board website

OK. Have you searched? What did you find?
Is that good or bad

With an ordinary degree (i.e. a degree without honours) you would probably be looking at entry level roles, similar to if you got a 3rd class honours degree or similar. It won't stop you getting a job or even necessarily progressing to a high level, but you'll need to do it through the corporate ladder rather than jumping in to a graduate role, I would expect. So you just might need to manage your expectations in that regard. Apprenticeship options can also be an option to look at.

I think for tech support roles you would probably be fine, as often these will also recruit those who have done vocational courses in IT or just have a lot of personal experience in using IT and tech which they can demonstrate. Since you should have the latter, and have done a formal course (granted did receive an ordinary degree) then I think you should have at least a basic foundation to apply to those kind of roles :smile:
Reply 16
OK. Have you searched? What did you find?

I have so far found vacancies local to my town and other towns nearby to me but I don’t know how to approach it do I specifically create a Tech based CV in order to get an interview yet at the same time I would appreciate your expertise in giving any recommendations to sites or boards or places that offer technical support opportunities
Reply 17
Original post by artful_lounger
With an ordinary degree (i.e. a degree without honours) you would probably be looking at entry level roles, similar to if you got a 3rd class honours degree or similar. It won't stop you getting a job or even necessarily progressing to a high level, but you'll need to do it through the corporate ladder rather than jumping in to a graduate role, I would expect. So you just might need to manage your expectations in that regard. Apprenticeship options can also be an option to look at.

I think for tech support roles you would probably be fine, as often these will also recruit those who have done vocational courses in IT or just have a lot of personal experience in using IT and tech which they can demonstrate. Since you should have the latter, and have done a formal course (granted did receive an ordinary degree) then I think you should have at least a basic foundation to apply to those kind of roles :smile:

Can I ask is this degree still something to be proud of or :frown: I kind of feel like a failure or flop. Or even worse a big mistake…
Can I ask is this degree still something to be proud of or :frown: I kind of feel like a failure or flop. Or even worse a big mistake…

I mean that's really up to how you see it! You did see the course through the the end even with some challenges along the way, and you will have gained hopefully a fair but of knowledge and experience and experiences :smile: it is I think really what you make of it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending