The Student Room Group

NUS Extra.. is it worth to buy?

Hi guys, I got an email from UCAS promoting the NUS Extra card. Just wondering is it worth the money? I know £12 isn't that much, however I am currently looking for a job for the college year so I do not want to pay for something which isn't a necessity?

Any opinions from people, especially those who bought the card would be great about the card's pros and cons.

Thanks!
Hi, I got an NUS student card last year and it was definitely worth it. If you look on the NUS website they list all the stores which will offer you discount with the card. If you remember to use it both in store and online then it's so worth having. You can save on transport, cinema, clothes, books and toiletries. I've saved so much money over the last year and have just renewed it again for this year. For me it was 100% worth getting and saved me a lot more than the cost of the card! (Some places also let you use them as ID which is really useful as I normally carry mine with me!)
Reply 2
I just bought mine before uni starts. It's useful if you shop a lot and I think that some places don't let you use uni ID cards like Superdrug for e.g. However, there is also "Unidays" which is the same thing as NUS but is instead only used for online shopping and is also free.
Reply 3
Nah, I don't own one and I've had no problem just using my usual student card. It's a bit pointless to have both?
Reply 4
Also I've used it at the cinema, all the high street shops, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by vdoto
I just bought mine before uni starts. It's useful if you shop a lot and I think that some places don't let you use uni ID cards like Superdrug for e.g. However, there is also "Unidays" which is the same thing as NUS but is instead only used for online shopping and is also free.

Superdrug lets me use my ID card? Idk if its just because Newcastles a student-heavy city.
Reply 6
Original post by tameimpala
Superdrug lets me use my ID card? Idk if its just because Newcastles a student-heavy city.

Really? I heard they didn't. Might try it then
I think that most shops local to your university let you use your uni ID card (And others, like McDonald's worked all over the country).

There can be a problem if you order stuff online though, and they want you to enter your NUS number, even if you can use your student card at the highstreet shop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending