The Student Room Group

If you drop out of an apprenticeship before you even start and not have anything else

Lined up, will the employer and the training provider think you are not reliable? Even then before I started the apprenticeship they said I can leave at any time and hand in my notice but I dropped out before I started and literally dropped out on the day I was meant to start, otherwise I was quite looking forward to it but they say they lost out on a lot of money and got things ready for me. I also lost out on a lot but they messed around with the location and they told me about the change a couple of days before I was meant to start. I spent money on my apprentice card, NUS card and uniform. I got ready but decided not to go. I even had to sign and do a lot of paperwork.
(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anony345533
Lined up, will the employer and the training provider think you are not reliable? Even then before I started the apprenticeship they said I can leave at any time and hand in my notice but I dropped out before I started and literally dropped out on the day I was meant to start, otherwise I was quite looking forward to it but they say they lost out on a lot of money and got things ready for me. I also lost out on a lot but they messed around with the location and they told me about the change a couple of days before I was meant to start. I spent money on my apprentice card, NUS card and uniform. I got ready but decided not to go. I even had to sign and do a lot of paperwork.

Will they think you're not reliable? Yes.

Did they switch the location by 1 mile or 100 miles?
Reply 2
It feels like bad form really and not something you want to be doing too often
Seems strange that you were expected to buy your own uniform. Was it a uniform or a dress code?
Reply 4

I guess if they moved the location to somewhere you could not have been reasonably expected to commute to then you have a decent reason for pulling out. If not then yes the employer has a right to be annoyed.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Seems strange that you were expected to buy your own uniform. Was it a uniform or a dress code?

It wasn't anything really, they didn't say anything about the dress code or uniform. I bought something from Asda that looks professional in case, you can wear whatever you want.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
Will they think you're not reliable? Yes.

Did they switch the location by 1 mile or 100 miles?

An extra half an hour away but I can't even go from my local shop to the nearest shop after that without getting lost. I need to travel with one form of transport not 2 buses. 15 stops with one bus and 11 with another. I need to be specific with where I apply and they say the original building is not made and I would need to go by 1 bus to my jobs
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Slowprop
I guess if they moved the location to somewhere you could not have been reasonably expected to commute to then you have a decent reason for pulling out. If not then yes the employer has a right to be annoyed.

I think I should have dropped out the day they moved the location and not on the day I was meant to start. I shouldn't have even got ready.
Reply 8
Original post by Slowprop

They tried to accommodate and said they will meet at the original building (which I would only need 1 bus) and walk half an hour with my manager. Why would I do that when there's another bus and with bus there's 11 stops. Its a half an hour walk and too much for me but an extra 11 stops is also too much.
(edited 5 months ago)
An extra half an hour away but I can't even go from my local shop to the nearest shop after that without getting lost. I need to travel with one form of transport not 2 buses. 15 stops with one bus and 11 with another. I need to be specific with where I apply and they say the original building is not made and I would need to go by 1 bus to my jobs

If you get lost travelling to the nearest shop after your local shop, then perhaps you need to practice travelling about a bit more. If you don't, you'll limit yourself enormously in terms of work and other aspects of life. It's already limiting you in terms of this apprenticeship, which you say you were "quite looking forward to".

Lol you probably wasted 4 weeks worth of recruitment when the employer and training provider would have hired another candidate that was worthy and willing to do the apprenticeship what do you think?
Reply 11
They tried to accommodate and said they will meet at the original building (which I would only need 1 bus) and walk half an hour with my manager. Why would I do that when there's another bus and with bus there's 11 stops. Its a half an hour walk and too much for me but an extra 11 stops is also too much.

Unless you have a disability that you haven't mentioned this is pretty feeble. You ought to be able to change buses and/or take a 30 minute walk, especially as the manager virtually offered to hold your hand. Most people are nervous about starting something new, but to back out of an opportunity without even giving it a try is usually a mistake. Of course the employer and training provider are going to think you're unreliable. If you couldn't solve the travel to your satisfaction when they changed location you should have pulled out then, not let them waste time getting things ready for you. It reflects pretty badly on you.
Reply 12
Original post by marple
Unless you have a disability that you haven't mentioned this is pretty feeble. You ought to be able to change buses and/or take a 30 minute walk, especially as the manager virtually offered to hold your hand. Most people are nervous about starting something new, but to back out of an opportunity without even giving it a try is usually a mistake. Of course the employer and training provider are going to think you're unreliable. If you couldn't solve the travel to your satisfaction when they changed location you should have pulled out then, not let them waste time getting things ready for you. It reflects pretty badly on you.

I do have a disability regarding travel. I think it's part of my genetic disorder that affects the way I think and I can't read maps or cope in new situations unless it's going from like GCSE to A Level. It's really hard coping with going to a new place. The manager was going to walk half an hour with me from the original site but I am sure they weren't going to drop me off there again on the way home or walk half an hour with me every day 5 days a week are they?

They told me that I didn't need to go to the second site and can go to the original site when it's built and the second site was just a suggestion so they didn't delay the start date but then they told me a couple days before like 6 days before the full details of what would be happening with my manager walking half an hour with me. Up until that point they revealed small points eventually telling me they changed location at the last minute.

Now they say "we told you on numerous occasions", no they said I didn't need to go to the second site anymore and it was a suggestion so they didn't delay the start date. I didn't bother replying after that.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Mohammed_80
Lol you probably wasted 4 weeks worth of recruitment when the employer and training provider would have hired another candidate that was worthy and willing to do the apprenticeship what do you think?

They screened candidates before me who left them as well so it's not just me. One person left because they found another apprenticeship closer to them, another one didn't want to show their face during the interview and another I don't know what happened with them. With me I left at the last minute because they kept changing the location.
You’ve started 347 threads and I’ve honestly lost count of how many relate to the logistics of this, or other, apprenticeships falling through or not suiting you.

Are you doing this to multiple employers and do you repeatedly leave it until the last day to tell them? Or is this all about one employer that you let down ages ago?
Reply 15
Original post by Admit-One
You’ve started 347 threads and I’ve honestly lost count of how many relate to the logistics of this, or other, apprenticeships falling through or not suiting you.

Are you doing this to multiple employers and do you repeatedly leave it until the last day to tell them? Or is this all about one employer that you let down ages ago?

This was about one I let down a couple months ago and I stopped job hunting since may, I just gave up because given my restrictions I don't think I can handle a job and I was declared limited capability for work by the DWP, they told me I don't need to look for work now but will at some point in the future but to prepare myself for the future I am thinking about job hunting again and I just don't want to end up doing what I did again, which means the location has to be right. Out of all things location.
They screened candidates before me who left them as well so it's not just me. One person left because they found another apprenticeship closer to them, another one didn't want to show their face during the interview and another I don't know what happened with them. With me I left at the last minute because they kept changing the location.

You left into the apprenticeship though don’t you read the application or job briefing properly and whether relocating, travelling was a necessity isn’t that the whole purpose of stating it and reading it before applying though?
Reply 17
Original post by Admit-One

With every single apprenticeship there is something wrong, like either the college and training part of it is not in a convenient location or the actual apprenticeship/job is not in a convenient location. I don't really care about pay.
Reply 18
Original post by Mohammed_80
You left into the apprenticeship though don’t you read the application or job briefing properly and whether relocating, travelling was a necessity isn’t that the whole purpose of stating it and reading it before applying though?

They put down the location as being in E1, then after applying and going through the interview process, tell me E1 isn't built and to go to the second site. It's their fault and it's almost like it's a trick. Why put E1 when the building isn't even built yet and the actual location is somewhere else?
They put down the location as being in E1, then after applying and going through the interview process, tell me E1 isn't built and to go to the second site. It's their fault and it's almost like it's a trick. Why put E1 when the building isn't even built yet and the actual location is somewhere else?

And they did not even state location of training or apprenticeship maybe elsewhere on this application for the apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending