The Student Room Group

A2 Biology Discussion and Help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tggeorge96
OCR Biology F215:

Could anyone describe what a chromatin is, and what use it has in Meiosis 1?

A chromatin is a komplex of DNA and special proteins, the half of these special proteins are histones which work as 'curlers'. The DNA is wind around the histones which forms the DNA to a chromosome. In short: the chromosome consists of chromatin.

If I'm not mistaken the chromosomes start to split in equatorial division in meiosis 1, so the chromatin do this too.
(edited 9 years ago)
OCR guys,

for F215 do we need to know the stages of nuclear transfer in context of Dolly the sheep? Its in the book, but doesnt specifically mention dolly the sheep in the spec?
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I couldn't already see an A2 Biology thread however I noticed there was an AS Biology thread so here it is ..:colondollar:

For those who want to either discuss A2 Biology, or even need help :smile:

Past Papers: (Specifications are also available using these links)
AQA : http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/a-level/biology-2410/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

OCR : http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-biology-h021-h421/

Edexcel : http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/biology/Pages/default.aspx

WJEC : http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=12&level=21&list=paper

The following Youtube channel contains very good walkthroughs of fully explained Biological mechanism relevant in A2 Biology:
http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy/videos

I also have a PDF copy of a guide to writing the synoptic essay containing examples which have gained full marks, so PM me your email and I will be happy to send it :smile:

I also have 'exampro' but only for AQA, which I would also be happy to send to anyone who PM's me their email :smile:

I have done A-level AQA Biology already so if you need help with anything, just quote me :smile:

hi could you help me with a question on biology: the bone and its mechanical properties im studying medical physics and biology and my assignment due in tomorrow im stuck on what the relationship between the microscopic structure and mechanical properties are of bone and ligaments.
can any one help me with the relationship between the microscopic structure and mechanical properties of the bone?
Original post by kyle_biology
hi could you help me with a question on biology: the bone and its mechanical properties im studying medical physics and biology and my assignment due in tomorrow im stuck on what the relationship between the microscopic structure and mechanical properties are of bone and ligaments.

Not sure mate, it's not covered by my course!
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Great idea - as with the AS thread.

I've survived OCR AS and A2 Biology so if anyone has anything OCR specific, quote me!

hi would you be able to help with my question? its part physics part biology "what is the relationship between the microscopic structure and mechanical properties of bone and ligaments?"
Original post by kyle_biology
x

It's a pretty big question. How would you go about answering it first of all?
Reply 187
Any help here? :smile:
Original post by toreilly102
Any help here? :smile:

Glucose: not filtered out into the urine because it is reabsorbed (selective reabsorption) by the cells living the proximal convoluted tubule.
Urea: low concentration in blood plasma because it is slightly toxic and is transported in solution, high concentrations in the urine as it is removed from the blood plasma and filtered out by the kidneys during excretion.
Proteins: none found in the urine because the basement membrane of the Bowman's capsule prevent proteins which have a mass greater than 69000 filtering through the glomerulus.
Original post by AmyGillions1
Glucose: not filtered out into the urine because it is reabsorbed (selective reabsorption) by the cells living the proximal convoluted tubule.
Urea: low concentration in blood plasma because it is slightly toxic and is transported in solution, high concentrations in the urine as it is removed from the blood plasma and filtered out by the kidneys during excretion.
Proteins: none found in the urine because the basement membrane of the Bowman's capsule prevent proteins which have a mass greater than 69000 filtering through the glomerulus.

Slight nitpick: the GBM is part of the glomerulus, not part of Bowman's capsule. The capsule has no role in glomerular filtration - all three layers arise from the glomerular capillaries and podocytes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Slight nitpick: the GBM is part of the glomerulus, not part of Bowman's capsule. The capsule has no role in glomerular filtration - all three layers arise from the glomerular capillaries and podocytes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But aren't the podocytes actually part of the bowman's capsule?
Original post by Mule
But aren't the podocytes actually part of the bowman's capsule?

Just did a quick bit of googling and you're right! Thought they arose from the mesangium, but it's actually from Bowman's. :tongue:

So: fenestrae + GBM = glomerular
Podocytic processes = glomerular (they're nanometres away from the GBM!), but the cells arise from Bowman's capsule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1402049759351.jpg
Why when holding steady both flexor and extensor contracts ? Arent they a pair of antagonistics muscle? One contracts one should relax isnt it???@@

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lamalam
1402049759351.jpg
Why when holding steady both flexor and extensor contracts ? Arent they a pair of antagonistics muscle? One contracts one should relax isnt it???@@

I think so too. During flexion (going up) of a dumbbell, the flexor is contracted, while the extensor is contracted during streching (going down). From this perspective the flexor is contracted only by holding the dumbbell steady. I don't know why the extensor is contracted too :dontknow:. Did you have ask your teacher?
Original post by Kallisto
I think so too. During flexion (going up) of a dumbbell, the flexor is contracted, while the extensor is contracted during streching (going down). From this perspective the flexor is contracted only by holding the dumbbell steady. I don't know why the extensor is contracted too :dontknow:. Did you have ask your teacher?

If you contract the flexor but not the extensor then you will flex the joint. If you want to hold the dumbbell steady, then you don't want to flex the joint, but keep it in the same position. If you contract both the flexor and extensor muscles then there will be no movement at the joint. Instead it will 'tighten' both the flexor and extensor tendons and fix the joint in a given position ie holding a dumbbell steady.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
If you contract the flexor but not the extensor then you will flex the joint. If you want to hold the dumbbell steady, then you don't want to flex the joint, but keep it in the same position. If you contract both the flexor and extensor muscles then there will be no movement at the joint. Instead it will 'tighten' both the flexor and extensor tendons and fix the joint in a given position ie holding a dumbbell steady.

In other words: to hold a dumbbell or something like that steady, the joint is strained. Thus flexor and extensor are contracted. But if the arm is just flexed or stretched, one of the both muscles is contracted only. Is that right?
Original post by Kallisto
In other words: to hold a dumbbell or something like that steady, the joint is strained. Thus flexor and extensor are contracted. But if the arm is just flexed or stretched, one of the both muscles is contracted only. Is that right?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Yes

Fine. So the Lamalam's question is (should be) answered. Thanks again!
Reply 198
HELP PLS

Hey guys, my AQA biol4 exam is tomorrow.
I'm all set, except I need help with something.

For the electron transport chain (or oxidative phosphorylation) in respiration, when hydrogen ions move down their electrochemical gradient, do they go through ATP synthase or ATPase?
Original post by GC3AT2
HELP PLS

Hey guys, my AQA biol4 exam is tomorrow.
I'm all set, except I need help with something.

For the electron transport chain (or oxidative phosphorylation) in respiration, when hydrogen ions move down their electrochemical gradient, do they go through ATP synthase or ATPase?

ATPsynthase.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending