The Student Room Group

Uclan university pharmacy

I wanna do pharmacy at uclan but I don’t do a level chemistry so is it possible for me to do the medical foundation year then move into pharmacy?
Original post by Vibe2226
I wanna do pharmacy at uclan but I don’t do a level chemistry so is it possible for me to do the medical foundation year then move into pharmacy?

Hi there @Vibe2226,

How are you? It's great to hear that you are interested in studying Pharmacy here at UCLan. :smile:

Our MPharm Pharmacy course does require BBB at A2 including Chemistry or Biology at grade B or above and another science at grade B or above.

Our BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences (Foundation Entry) course however provides an alternative route where the entry requirements include 80 points at A2.

If you could like to know more about this course our friendly course enquiries team will be more than happy to help, you can email the team at [email protected].

If you have any questions do let me know. :smile:

All the best,
Sarah
Reply 2
Hi, is it granted that after the foundation year I can get into the course or would I have to apply again and what molecules are in the foundation year
Hi, is it granted that after the foundation year I can get into the course or would I have to apply again and what molecules are in the foundation year

Hi there @Vibe2226,

Thanks for your questions. You would need to reapply for our MPharm Pharmacy course, places on the course aren't guaranteed to students who have completed the Medical Sciences route but it can help you work towards reapplying the course.

Below is the module overview for our BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences (Foundation Entry) course.

Year 0:
- Biological and Chemical Systems
- Body Systems
- Investigative Skills using Mathematics
- Scientific Communication
- Case study approach to scientific problem solving

Year 1:
- Integrated Medical Sciences
- Medical Microbiology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Immunology
- Clinical Communication and Medical Skills
- Integrated Medical Sciences

Year 2:
- Research in Medical Sciences
- Anatomy and Physiology II
- Molecular Medicine
- Neuroscience
- Research Project
- Medical Pharmacology and Therapeutics

I hope this helps. :smile:
Sarah
Reply 4
So if I wanna go that route would I have to do all three years then apply to do pharmacy or would I only have to do the first year 0 ? And what grades do I need to reapply for pharmacy
Thank yoy
So if I wanna go that route would I have to do all three years then apply to do pharmacy or would I only have to do the first year 0 ? And what grades do I need to reapply for pharmacy
Thank yoy

Hi there @Vibe2226,

I will have a look into this for you and will let you know as soon as I know more. :smile:

Best wishes,
Sarah
Thank yoy

Hi there @Vibe2226, :smile:

Yes you would need to complete the three year course, this would be our graduate entry route. Currently our Pharmacy course requires 2:2 in a relevant discipline which Medical Science is, and some relevant healthcare work experience.

There is also the option of applying for our accelerated BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences accelerated programme (2 years) if you are wanting to get access onto our MPharm Pharmacy course. This course requires BBB at A2 including 2 in science subjects. Accepted science subjects are Biology, Chemistry or Physics.

All the best,
Sarah
Reply 7
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi there @Vibe2226,

How are you? It's great to hear that you are interested in studying Pharmacy here at UCLan. :smile:

Our MPharm Pharmacy course does require BBB at A2 including Chemistry or Biology at grade B or above and another science at grade B or above.

Our BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences (Foundation Entry) course however provides an alternative route where the entry requirements include 80 points at A2.

If you could like to know more about this course our friendly course enquiries team will be more than happy to help, you can email the team at [email protected].

If you have any questions do let me know. :smile:

All the best,
Sarah

I called today and they said I can’t get into the pharmacy course through a foundation year why is everyone giving me different answers 🥲
I called today and they said I can’t get into the pharmacy course through a foundation year why is everyone giving me different answers 🥲

Hi there @Vibe2226,

Sorry to hear that you feel you have received differing information. To clarify, as you don't have an A Level in Chemistry, which is a requirement for the MPharm course, you would need to complete the full programme for Medical Sciences FD (i.e. 3 years) to apply for the MPharm programme through a graduate entry route. This is due to the requirements of the General Pharmaceutical Council who accredit the programme. Completion of the Med Sci course does not guarantee you entry onto the MPharm programme and you would still need to apply, be interviewed and have your application considered by the team. Please be aware that the course is very competitive but the Med Sci programme would at least provide you with the scientific basis that you would need to study the MPharm course.

You're welcome to send us over a direct message through one of our social channels if you would like to discuss the course in more detail.

All the best, 😊
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending