The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophie1994
Why is everyone complaining about research methods, they're easy marks to get in the exam! Jut make sure you elaborate enough to get the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Designing a study, standardised instructions and ethics and all that - don't like them. :no:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sophie1994
Why is everyone complaining about research methods, they're easy marks to get in the exam! Jut make sure you elaborate enough to get the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easy, yes, but equally easy to drop silly marks as it to gain them...and just danmed boring, but so much to learn. :smile: I think that broken sentence reflects sentiment pretty well, haha.
Reply 1982
I think I'm the opposite with research methods. I think it's quite interesting. Defo can understand how people could see it as dull though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Could anyone possibly help out with a quick outline of the kind of thing to include in a group displays of aggression essay? They didn't teach us it at college and I'm so confused about what the questions are asking. Everything I find just seems kind of vague :confused:
Reply 1984
I love research methods, managed 34/35 in my mock :biggrin: its nice and exact and you know whether you've got it right where as the essays are more hit and miss...
I agree I could just do an exam on research methods and get a good mark but all the long winded essays are the death of me. They are so hard to revise for!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hotliketea
i didn't see if anyone else already replied but i'd keep hazen and shaver for AO2 - it's the best AO2 there. for AO1 i split between attachment theory and peer relationships.

so i do bowlby and ainsworth et al together to explain parents , then evaluate , then peer relationships into horizontal, social competence , Type B most confident (Hartup et al) and therefore more popular.

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by kited4
I love research methods, managed 34/35 in my mock :biggrin: its nice and exact and you know whether you've got it right where as the essays are more hit and miss...

I'm the complete opposite! Research methods is my weakest by far, I got like 20/40 on our mock for it which is pretty bad considering I got A* on all the other mocks :tongue: To be fair I didn't really revise for it though so I may be better when I revise it properly (which I'm leaving till last) and also I'm an English student and do all essay based subjects so I'm better at the essay writing side of Psychology compared to the more Science based side.
Reply 1988
Original post by NiallD
I'm the complete opposite! Research methods is my weakest by far, I got like 20/40 on our mock for it which is pretty bad considering I got A* on all the other mocks :tongue: To be fair I didn't really revise for it though so I may be better when I revise it properly (which I'm leaving till last) and also I'm an English student and do all essay based subjects so I'm better at the essay writing side of Psychology compared to the more Science based side.

Ahh! I suppose it's better to be that way round as research methods only makes up a small part of the exams. I do biology and geography so I'm a bit of both - don't mind the essays too much, it's just nice to have some shorter questions dotted around :smile:
Is anyone doing Cognition & Development????
Original post by lauraaaaa
I have, and will be memorising them all haha. Just got four more left to write and then gotta learn them all for unit three and four...kill me now

Like me have you not started to memorise any of the essays for unit 3 or 4 and are still writing them? I was getting worried I'm the only one who still hasn't even memorised one essay.
Original post by kited4
Ahh! I suppose it's better to be that way round as research methods only makes up a small part of the exams. I do biology and geography so I'm a bit of both - don't mind the essays too much, it's just nice to have some shorter questions dotted around :smile:

Yeah I think I preferred the format of the AS exam to the A2 exams as you could be sure lots of stuff will come up rather than just one topic out of 6 - which is really annoying considering you have to revise everything! I think I probably prefer the format of the research methods part in that respect, but it's just the content I don't like!
Original post by Student296
Like me have you not started to memorise any of the essays for unit 3 or 4 and are still writing them? I was getting worried I'm the only one who still hasn't even memorised one essay.

Don't want to scare you but I should be a bit worried mate, you've got quite a lot of essays to remember. If you start memorising them all now makes it a lot easier to recall them when you come back to them closer to the exam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
Don't want to scare you but I should be a bit worried mate, you've got quite a lot of essays to remember. If you start memorising them all now makes it a lot easier to recall them when you come back to them closer to the exam.

I might be approaching this all wrong but is this way of revising really necessary? Do you really need to memorise your essays word for word? Surely it would suffice just to memorise the key points, as well as practising writing the essays to get a good gist of how it would go in the exam?

I know need to start asap.
Original post by NiallD
I might be approaching this all wrong but is this way of revising really necessary? Do you really need to memorise your essays word for word? Surely it would suffice just to memorise the key points, as well as practising writing the essays to get a good gist of how it would go in the exam?

You are right, but people are taking different approaches to learning the content.

I have a couple left to write tomorrow and I've learnt a couple but yeah, sounds like we're at similar stages haha
Original post by NiallD

people are taking different approaches mate. Some are learning the model answers and others are just remembering the key points whichever one you think is the best approach. I'm learning model answers as I don't think I'll remember everything by just writing the main points.

I know need to start asap.

:yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
people are taking different approaches mate. Some are learning the model answers and others are just remembering the key points whichever one you think is the best approach. I'm learning model answers as I don't think I'll remember everything by just writing the main points.

:yep:

Ah ok. For my mocks in class I didn't even plan essays and they went pretty well so I'll hopefully be fine doing it this way, atlhough they were just on one topic so it may be different for the full exam. This has made me worried that I'm not doing enough revision now though, even though it feels like I'm doing loads :tongue: Out of interest, did you revise the content first before writing the essays or did you write the essays using your book/notes and just revising the content from them?
Original post by NiallD

I agree. I find my essays always flow better when I just remember key points. I find when I attempt to memorise my essays they don't flow, there's no line of argument and I lose sight of the question in favour of trying to remember my notes word for word. But each to their own. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending