The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Mephestic
This is pretty much what I did in my essays if I recall correctly for institutional aggression

Saj I noticed that your Sleep& Bio Ryhthms book has been added. Definitely going to purchase it ASAP!
revising for PSYA3 atm (i'm still learning PSYA4 at school) and I'm finding addictive behaviour so difficult

schizophrenia is fine because if you repeat and repeat it to yourself enough you basically just learn the maximum you could be asked on each page , and there aren't many pages to begin with so it's fine

but addictive behaviour , it feels like the topic never ends , it goes on and on and every page there's like double the amount of information as there is in schizophrenia AND there's double the amount of pages

anyone else finding this?
Hi, I have a couple of questions for PSYA4 section A

How many of the biological and psychological explanations should be know? Also how many biological and psychological therapies? Also, does chemotherapy count as 'one' therapy which includes SSRIS, MAOIs and tricyclic anti-depressants or would each of those groups of drugs count as an individual biological therapy (say if we were asked to outline and evaluate one biological therapy for depression).

Hope that made sense haha, thank you. :smile:
Reply 383
Is anyone doing the media topic, I'm struggling to revise for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I kind of think the point of TSR is to help people rather than a marketing idea to sell something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
Original post by ImAz
Is anyone doing the media topic, I'm struggling to revise for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh I agree media is tough to revise, it took me about 2 whole days to memorise everything for this topic last year. All I can say is Good luck revising it. :redface:

Original post by LeaX
Hi, I have a couple of questions for PSYA4 section A

How many of the biological and psychological explanations should be know? Also how many biological and psychological therapies? Also, does chemotherapy count as 'one' therapy which includes SSRIS, MAOIs and tricyclic anti-depressants or would each of those groups of drugs count as an individual biological therapy (say if we were asked to outline and evaluate one biological therapy for depression).

Hope that made sense haha, thank you. :smile:

Hi, you need to know two of each explanations and therapies because you could be asked to 'outline and evaluate one or more explanations/therapies of/for...' (see exam companion)
yes chemotherapy (drug therapy) counts as one biological therapy and SSRIs, MAOIs would come under this group. The other therapy you would obviously talk about is ECT. (the third edition complete companion has really good info on it :smile: )

and one other thing, you need to evaluate both biological and psychological therapies in terms of their appropriateness and effectiveness , here's the spec: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2180-W-SP-14.PDF
(see the new complete companion for good studies and evaluation points to use)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nm786

Hi, you need to know two of each explanations and therapies because you could be asked to 'outline and evaluate one or more explanations/therapies of/for...' (see exam companion)
yes chemotherapy (drug therapy) counts as one biological therapy and SSRIs, MAOIs would come under this group. The other therapy you would obviously talk about is ECT. (the third edition complete companion has really good info on it :smile: )

and one other thing, you need to evaluate both biological and psychological therapies in terms of their appropriateness and effectiveness , here's the spec: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2180-W-SP-14.PDF
(see the new complete companion for good studies and evaluation points to use)
Thanks. :smile:
For the clinical characteristics of the disorder in section A, is it enough to just list the symptoms outlined in the DSM? I'm doing depression and our textbook also contains information on dysthymic disorder (milder depressive symptoms over 2 years), and pre-menstural dysphoric disorder and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to include that? I also have information saying it's more common in adolescents and women and how long recovery takes on average. Is that relevant or is it adequate to just list the symptoms? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by LeaX
For the clinical characteristics of the disorder in section A, is it enough to just list the symptoms outlined in the DSM? I'm doing depression and our textbook also contains information on dysthymic disorder (milder depressive symptoms over 2 years), and pre-menstural dysphoric disorder and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to include that? I also have information saying it's more common in adolescents and women and how long recovery takes on average. Is that relevant or is it adequate to just list the symptoms? Thanks. :smile:

Depends how many marks are available :smile: if there are eight , outlining symptoms and explaining each one in the context of the disorder with a few in depth examples should give around six marks

So an extra two marks mentioning other types of depression generally or most commonly affected groups would get you full marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
How many A02 points should I write on average for each 24 mark essay? I was thinking 4 should be enough max 6??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anwar123
How many A02 points should I write on average for each 24 mark essay? I was thinking 4 should be enough max 6??

Posted from TSR Mobile

4/5/6 A02 points and 1 or 2 IDA's for each 24 marker.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hotliketea
Depends how many marks are available :smile: if there are eight , outlining symptoms and explaining each one in the context of the disorder with a few in depth examples should give around six marks

So an extra two marks mentioning other types of depression generally or most commonly affected groups would get you full marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i haven't looked at replies below but i always do eight , trying for two IDA's linked to the other points and two methodological points usually as links or ending points on a couple of points

with this i usually get over 20 but if i wrote any less for AO2 i would get probably 16 - if you struggle to write that fast , use methodological points as whole points

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone on here told me for a 24 mark do 2 sides of paper. So long as you don't go on and on about needless stuff in them, that comes to about 4/5 points of AO2

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you guys revising for PSYA3 as well as keeping up in class for PSYA4? I've made essay plans for PSYA3 and I keep rereading them but it feels like such a waste of time. I don't like writing the essays in full because I can't mark them and my teacher is too swamped so I'd feel bad adding to her workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do 8 AO2 points, 2 or 3 studies, 3 IDAs and then 2 methodology issues and I get around 21 marks. Always make sure you finish your evaluative point by linking it to the implications for the theory. eg if a study you're using to support it only used females it decreases the theory's population validity as you can't generalise the results, and therefore the theory, to males as they may respond differently.
Original post by LeaX
eg if a study you're using to support it only used females it decreases the theory's population validity as you can't generalise the results, and therefore the theory, to males as they may respond differently.

I know this is only an example you used but you won't get marks if you just write that. If a study used mainly females then the study lacks population validity not the theory. You will get marks if you say the theory is gender biased (and you need to say if it's alpha or beta if it is) only if most studies have concentrated only on men for example and then include a study that shows how women behave differently:

"Methodological criticism of a study can only be made relevant and earn marks IF the implications for the theory/explanation are clear simply stating that a study used only males and so is gender biased, will not earn marks. It only becomes credit worthy if the implications for the theory/explanation are clear, e.g. that the theory/explanation may not apply to females.

Source: Examiner report 01/13 page 3 http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PSYA3-WRE-JAN13.PDF
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LeaX
How are you guys revising for PSYA3 as well as keeping up in class for PSYA4? I've made essay plans for PSYA3 and I keep rereading them but it feels like such a waste of time. I don't like writing the essays in full because I can't mark them and my teacher is too swamped so I'd feel bad adding to her workload.

i had the exact same issue - i've been aiming to learn a spread of my textbook a night but i'm a bit behind atm because holidays and tiredness but i'm doing pretty well

i find that helps - i sometimes spend two days on one spread because it's a lot easier than cramming :smile:

then go back over topics with flashcards to make sure i remember the psychologists from previous spreads and keep marching on :P
Reply 397
what do people think will come up in the exam for aggression, gender and perception??
Reply 398
Original post by sarah26
what do people think will come up in the exam for aggression, gender and perception??

for aggression, I think neural or hormonal explanations or both for 24 marks
Reply 399
Original post by sarah26
do you think neural/hormonal could be a 24 mark just by themselves? my school said it's highly unlikely they'll put either of those as a 24 mark individually because there's not enough material and that they'll either have them combined or, if separately, a 12 mark?

According to the exam companion third edition which has the list of all the possible questions based on the new spec, they could ask neural for 24 marks or hormonal for 24 marks or both for 24 marks (scroll down scan 8). Show your teachers the attached documents - they have all the possible questions for aggression.

If you have the new third edition complete companion book there's more than enough material for these two topics and you could also look at my neural and hormonal essays (they are bothA*): http://www.mediafire.com/download/2hairlb5rc1dtas/PSYA3+Essays+-+Relationships%2C+Aggression+and+Eating+Behaviour.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending