The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by prettyugly
Yup! And just writing down the starting sentences of each paragraph. The ones that came up in jan/jun 2013 i'm gonna leave out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry but bad idea! I did PSYA4 in Jan 2013 and the June 2012 exam for schizophrenia was therapies and it was the same again in Jan 2013! Nearly everyone had to re-take as they didn't revise it! I luckily had revised it and so did well in that exam.

Never ever leave questions and topics out, just because they asked something in the most recent exam does not mean they won't ask it again in the next one! Revise everything!!
Original post by 44289
Sorry but bad idea! I did PSYA4 in Jan 2013 and the June 2012 exam for schizophrenia was therapies and it was the same again in Jan 2013! Nearly everyone had to re-take as they didn't revise it! I luckily had revised it and so did well in that exam.

Never ever leave questions and topics out, just because they asked something in the most recent exam does not mean they won't ask it again in the next one! Revise everything!!

i agree we should try to remember everything but its very unlikely they'll repeat a 24 marker they asked on a previous paper, they will either ask 12/8/4 mark questions but I doubt they'll ask the same question for 24 marks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 44289

As i said i'm going to be revising them closer to the exam in notes form just incase :wink: Thanks though and i need go over psya4 sigh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 783
Yeah same i just need to practice writing them within the time limit as that is issue. Have you memorised them ALL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eating behaviour schizophrenia relationships yes word for word...I hate aggression with a passion so I've kinda just got studies and all AO2 points memorised rather than word for word. Again media I know all the studies but not quite word for word yet as we only finished that topic last week, and as other people said that's more applications so we don't really need essays...
Original post by kited4
Eating behaviour schizophrenia relationships yes word for word...I hate aggression with a passion so I've kinda just got studies and all AO2 points memorised rather than word for word. Again media I know all the studies but not quite word for word yet as we only finished that topic last week, and as other people said that's more applications so we don't really need essays...

I've done the same thing as you expect I don't do eating behaviour, instead I do sleep and biological rhythms.
I hate aggression too lol but media for me is confusing because you've got the main assumptions and then 10,000 studies (exaggeration!) to support the points.. too much. How did you manage to cope with the studies?
Yeah it more application but remember that research methods counts for most of the exam
Reply 785
Original post by Lovinlife2
I've done the same thing as you expect I don't do eating behaviour, instead I do sleep and biological rhythms.
I hate aggression too lol but media for me is confusing because you've got the main assumptions and then 10,000 studies (exaggeration!) to support the points.. too much. How did you manage to cope with the studies?
Yeah it more application but remember that research methods counts for most of the exam

Research methods is the best part of A level psychology! Nice little short questions love it :smile: basically I've never forgotten any studies as over the school year I've been continually revising so it's engraved in my mind! About 200 names of researchers in my head Haha :P good way of testing/revising if putting all the researchers names in one of those random name pickers, and when it comes up I type/speak/handwrite the paragraph about what they did and found and then a link to the question it would occur in...

I had a similar approach last year and got 200 UMS so something must have worked :smile:
Original post by kited4
Research methods is the best part of A level psychology! Nice little short questions love it :smile: basically I've never forgotten any studies as over the school year I've been continually revising so it's engraved in my mind! About 200 names of researchers in my head Haha :P good way of testing/revising if putting all the researchers names in one of those random name pickers, and when it comes up I type/speak/handwrite the paragraph about what they did and found and then a link to the question it would occur in...

I had a similar approach last year and got 200 UMS so something must have worked :smile:

I know right! I agree with you! :smile: Haha that's so good! I remember most of what I learnt before even at AS but sometimes it's worth the brush up to remind yourself!! Ooh 200?! :eek:
That's an excellent way; may give that a go!

Aha, no wonder, it must have worked for you really well :smile:
For psychological explanations of Sz, we can use Expressed Emotion but we can't access full marks because it explains the maintenance of Sz rather than its origins.. :/ what other psychological explanations are people using (apart from the cognitive model)?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PSYA4-W-MS-JAN11.PDF (Question 2)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kited4

Ahh okay, i've only memorised 5 lol. And the biological stuff are hard to remember for me so i'm just gonna do notes on them. Yeah i do addiction and it's just notes and then practicing the exam questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 789
Ahh okay, i've only memorised 5 lol. And the biological stuff are hard to remember for me so i'm just gonna do notes on them. Yeah i do addiction and it's just notes and then practicing the exam questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh just keep going :smile: make notes on it then a few hours later come back to it, then the endt mornkng try writing it from memory - it's all about the going over information you've revised to get it to stick :smile:
I've seen some people mentioning that you got to memorise essays, however where can I get those essays from?
Original post by mallycaseyx
I've seen some people mentioning that you got to memorise essays, however where can I get those essays from?

You'd have to write your own...
Reply 792

Use your notes to write your own :smile:
if there are any you are particularly struggling with I'd be happy to help

nm786 uploaded his relationships, aggression and eating behaviour essays here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/yj013cobiap17xl/PSYA3+Essays+-+Relationships%2C+Aggression+and+Eating+Behaviour.docx
post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=44727813&postcount=16
there are many essays uploaded on tsr see this link to view each attachment: [URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?query=essays&filter[attachments]=[1%20TO%20*]&applied=1&filter[forumid]=211"]here

Hanz uploaded her essays on the old thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=40103240&postcount=49
Noodlzzz essays (she got an A* in Psychology): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30962011&highlight=
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1532524&page=26&p=31840401&highlight=#post31840401

you should use these essays, the complete companion and articles online to construct your own unit 3 and 4 essays.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hotliketea
Davis' meta-analysis is 29 studies, 55% relapsed on the placebo and 19% on the drugs. I don't know anything about Kahn's study, but I can give you other studies?
Ross and Read - criticised Davis' study by saying that 45% on placebo did benefit, and 45% on the drug would have benefited as well.
Ross and Read - suggested flooding effect in drug treatments. By giving a placebo to a schizophrenic, you flood the system with dopamine which leads to the high relapse rates recorded, rather than the placebo itself causing the relapse.
Ross and Read - by labelling someone as having schizophrenia caused by their biology, you encourage them to take a deterministic approach to their recovery, and thus they stop looking for causes in their environment.
Hill - in 30% of cases on 1st gen antipsychotics tardive dyskinesia is found, and it is irreversible in 75% of cases
Jeste et al - Causes tardive dyskinesia in 5% of cases on 2nd gen, but 30% on 1st gen
Leucht et al - 2 2nd gen antipsychotics are more effective than 1st gen and 2 are the same. also, 2 2nd gen were more effective at reducing negative symptoms, 1 the same and 1 slightly worse

That's probably enough :')

So the cognitive approach to gambling places a lot of worth on the irrationality of gamblers (Oei and Gordon; Delfabbro and Winesfield), but Ladoucer shows that ANYONE is susceptible to these cognitive distortions, not just pathological gamblers and therefore the cognitive approach cannot fully explain why these people do not become pathological gamblers.

Hope that helps both of you!

Ah that rings a bell, thank ya dear!
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
For psychological explanations of Sz, we can use Expressed Emotion but we can't access full marks because it explains the maintenance of Sz rather than its origins.. :/ what other psychological explanations are people using (apart from the cognitive model)?

i don't agree you can't access full marks - the high degree of expressed emotion leads to the schizophrenic symptoms as the individual struggles to interpret the high levels of emotion. the stressful environment provokes coping mechanisms, which manifest themselves in positive and negative symptoms

i've learnt expressed emotion, double bind theory , psychodynamic and cognitive , but you'd only need two of them , i just happened to learn all four because i'm stupid :P
Reply 796
Original post by mightyfrog2_10

We have learnt cognitive, psychodynamic (these have very little AO2) then stressful life events, labeling theory and double-bind theory
Original post by hotliketea
i don't agree you can't access full marks - the high degree of expressed emotion leads to the schizophrenic symptoms as the individual struggles to interpret the high levels of emotion. the stressful environment provokes coping mechanisms, which manifest themselves in positive and negative symptoms

i've learnt expressed emotion, double bind theory , psychodynamic and cognitive , but you'd only need two of them , i just happened to learn all four because i'm stupid :P

I'm not sure the mark scheme says candidates "could legitimately outline expressed emotion" and then it goes on to say "however in both cases they are more relevant to explaining the maintenance of Schizophrenia rather than its origins so candidates might find it difficult to access full marks here", maybe the research is limited therefore we can't access the high marks, no idea.

woah that's a lot to remember, I think my teacher said the examiners don't really like psychodynamic theory and it needs to be explained really really well (the theory is rubbish and old) to access the high marks so I definitely wouldn't use that as a second explanation. :d

Original post by kited4
We have learnt cognitive, psychodynamic (these have very little AO2) then stressful life events, labeling theory and double-bind theory

stressful life events sounds good I might as well learn that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 798
Anyone else aiming for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImAz
Anyone else aiming for an A*?

Yesssss!

Latest

Trending

Trending