The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 981
Original post by LeaX
Ohh no. :frown: What kind of things are you including? Can you include the process of outlining what classical and operant conditioning is or does it explicitly have to be the role?

It has to be tailored to the role of classical/operant conditioning has in the behaviour of non-human animals
Original post by Mezzy
It has to be tailored to the role of classical/operant conditioning has in the behaviour of non-human animals

Is this for phobias?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hotliketea
hahaha i know everything , it's just going to be painful for my hands

you still have time honey :smile: i need the A* so i've really put in the work :')

O.o you know everything for psya3?!? and psya4?!?
That's amazing *jealous*
Any tips for remembering the actual essays or revision in general. Nothing is going in!! :frown: The only thing I know really well is Addiction.... only because ( I think) it's the most interesting?
Reply 984
Original post by gloriousgloria
That's amazing *jealous*
Any tips for remembering the actual essays or revision in general. Nothing is going in!! :frown: The only thing I know really well is Addiction.... only because ( I think) it's the most interesting?

I also know all the things for PSYA3 &PSYA4...basically I never forgot it as after we learnt it in school I would write the essay up and then keep going over it every week or so.

There are some things I do to revise other than reading over all the possible essays:
1) put the names of the psychologists you need to know (either for 1 topic, 1 exam, or all of them if you're feeling brave) into a random word picker.. Then when it comes up either speak or write down what that psychologist did. Then as you get better, put their study into a full written paragraph as you would in the exam, including what the research shows and linking back to the question.
2) I also sit there for a few hours and try and type the essays from memory. This helps embed the essays in your long term memory and does get a lot easier the more you practice :smile:
Reply 985
Original post by TSRuserrr9
Is this for phobias?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. This is for an essay question for the Intelligence topic.
Original post by gloriousgloria
That's amazing *jealous*

i use brainscape? i have like 1000 flashcards , but i've been revising since ummmm like january/february

i used to learn half a spread a night , and i had enough time to revise everything that slowly by the time i left school - try two spreads a day? work out how much you need to learn and break it down that way if you find it hard doing everything at once

but yeah , i stopped doing that because my brain tries to take in more than i want it to , so then i made flashcards and now i know every subject apart from relationships because we've only just started

i put in like three hours a day though :')
read an essay two or three times carefully then start memorising a line or two once you've memorised the essay get another essay and repeat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Any predictions for the biological rhythms and sleep topic in PSYA3? :smile:
Reply 989
If anyone is doing relationships, do you reckon this is enough for 8 marks on a parental investments essay?

According to Trivers, parental investment is any investment by a parent in an offspring that's increases that individuals chances of survival at the cost of the parents ability to invest in other offspring. Parental investment begins at the gamete stage (egg and Sperm production), continues through pregnancy and includes behaviours after birth that promotes survival for the infant. Men's minimum obligatory investments is considerably less than women's - a teaspoon of copulation is all that is needed. Parental investment by females (maternal) is usually greater than males in most species. Unlike males, females can be 100% certain that they are the true parent mainly because they carry the offspring for 9 months during pregnancy.
A gradual increase in brain size over the past 2 million years has made childbirth more difficult, resulting in infant dependence on mothers. To compensate for this difficulty, humans are born earlier than ideal so they are more immature than other mammals. As a result humans are defendant on their mothers until teenage years unlike some animal mothers who can leave their offspring weeks after they are born.
Unfortunately, men can never be certain that the produced offspring is theirs. Therefore, they run risk of using up valuables resources looking after another mans offspring (cuckoldry).
The possibility of sexual infidelity posed different adaptive problem for male and females. Men believe an unfaithful partner means the risk of wasting valuable resources on someone else's offspring(sexual) whilst women believe an unfaithful partner may lead to the diversion of resources away from her and her offspring. (Emotional)

The only reason I'm asking is because I haven't included mate selection differences(how men go for younger woman because they believe they are more likely to have healthy offspring and this is vital for males as they want to spread their offspring) blah blah, so even though i've left that stuff out do you think ^ could get around 8 marks?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 990
i use brainscape? i have like 1000 flashcards , but i've been revising since ummmm like january/february

i used to learn half a spread a night , and i had enough time to revise everything that slowly by the time i left school - try two spreads a day? work out how much you need to learn and break it down that way if you find it hard doing everything at once

but yeah , i stopped doing that because my brain tries to take in more than i want it to , so then i made flashcards and now i know every subject apart from relationships because we've only just started

i put in like three hours a day though :')

What other a-levels do you do if you don't mind me asking:biggrin:
Original post by tolaaani
What other a-levels do you do if you don't mind me asking:biggrin:

i do english lit and spanish
Reply 992
Original post by tolaaani
If anyone is doing relationships, do you reckon this is enough for 8 marks on a parental investments essay?

According to Trivers, parental investment is any investment by a parent in an offspring that's increases that individuals chances of survival at the cost of the parents ability to invest in other offspring. Parental investment begins at the gamete stage (egg and Sperm production), continues through pregnancy and includes behaviours after birth that promotes survival for the infant. Men's minimum obligatory investments is considerably less than women's - a teaspoon of copulation is all that is needed. Parental investment by females (maternal) is usually greater than males in most species. Unlike males, females can be 100% certain that they are the true parent mainly because they carry the offspring for 9 months during pregnancy.
A gradual increase in brain size over the past 2 million years has made childbirth more difficult, resulting in infant dependence on mothers. To compensate for this difficulty, humans are born earlier than ideal so they are more immature than other mammals. As a result humans are defendant on their mothers until teenage years unlike some animal mothers who can leave their offspring weeks after they are born.
Unfortunately, men can never be certain that the produced offspring is theirs. Therefore, they run risk of using up valuables resources looking after another mans offspring (cuckoldry).
The possibility of sexual infidelity posed different adaptive problem for male and females. Men believe an unfaithful partner means the risk of wasting valuable resources on someone else's offspring(sexual) whilst women believe an unfaithful partner may lead to the diversion of resources away from her and her offspring. (Emotional)

The only reason I'm asking is because I haven't included mate selection differences(how men go for younger woman because they believe they are more likely to have healthy offspring and this is vital for males as they want to spread their offspring) blah blah, so even though i've left that stuff out do you think ^ could get around 8 marks?

Yes that's totally fine, and pretty much what I would write :smile: It is only 8 marks for AO1 and that seems like plenty

Mate selection differences would probably be more relevant to an essay on sexual selection in terms of long term mating preferences for males and females

:smile: hope that helped
Reply 993
Original post by kited4
Yes that's totally fine, and pretty much what I would write :smile: It is only 8 marks for AO1 and that seems like plenty

Mate selection differences would probably be more relevant to an essay on sexual selection in terms of long term mating preferences for males and females

:smile: hope that helped

Okay that is good to hear and thank you very much, you've been really helpful. I honestly appreciate it :smile:

And also I was thinking that also about it being more relevant for a sexual selection essay so thanks for confirming that :biggrin:
Reply 994
Anyone have any research methods predictions?
I am a little confused between AO1 and AO2. I never seem to hit enough marks on AO1.

For example, Circadian Rhythms - what do you put in the AO1 apart from how it's controlled by the EP and the EZs. Do I mention the studies or just briefly mention the names of the studies and their methodologies?

Also, what is AO2 exactly? Do i just explain the studies and then evaluate each study?

Panicking now!!
Any help would be appreciated.
If anyone needs help with issues regarding classification and diagnosis of Sz: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5rFoJ9pvqzwC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
Original post by kited4
I also know all the things for PSYA3 &PSYA4...basically I never forgot it as after we learnt it in school I would write the essay up and then keep going over it every week or so.There are some things I do to revise other than reading over all the possible essays:1) put the names of the psychologists you need to know (either for 1 topic, 1 exam, or all of them if you're feeling brave) into a random word picker.. Then when it comes up either speak or write down what that psychologist did. Then as you get better, put their study into a full written paragraph as you would in the exam, including what the research shows and linking back to the question. 2) I also sit there for a few hours and try and type the essays from memory. This helps embed the essays in your long term memory and does get a lot easier the more you practice :smile:
i use brainscape? i have like 1000 flashcards , but i've been revising since ummmm like january/februaryi used to learn half a spread a night , and i had enough time to revise everything that slowly by the time i left school - try two spreads a day? work out how much you need to learn and break it down that way if you find it hard doing everything at oncebut yeah , i stopped doing that because my brain tries to take in more than i want it to , so then i made flashcards and now i know every subject apart from relationships because we've only just startedi put in like three hours a day though :')
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
read an essay two or three times carefully then start memorising a line or two then get another essay and repeat.
Started revising my essays and was using like a combo of your suggestions aha :wink: Really helpful. Thank you very much for the advice! :biggrin:
How much time do you guys spend on Psychology (both PSYA3 and PSYA4) a day? I tend to neglect this subject so much as my other subjects are a lot more demanding
Reply 999
Original post by LeaX
How much time do you guys spend on Psychology (both PSYA3 and PSYA4) a day? I tend to neglect this subject so much as my other subjects are a lot more demanding

Maybe 2-2.5 hours

Latest

Trending

Trending