The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What have people used for the breakdown of relationships? I need to write an essay on this so that i can memorise it and i just don't know where to start.. For a 24 marker could i just use the model of breakdown?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I swear to god there's so much content and so little time in this exam!
I'm struggling to write everything in my essay plans down in less than half an hour, and I never usually struggle with time :frown:

Also for research methods, with the 10marker style questions, does anyone have any tips on how to structure them so that you include everything that needs to be included?

thankyou!
Could we get a 12 + 12 essay for PSYA3? Ie 12 marks for AO1, 12 for AO2/3
Original post by jennyp33
Could we get a 12 + 12 essay for PSYA3? Ie 12 marks for AO1, 12 for AO2/3

Nope, AO1 can either be 4 or 8 marks and AO2 can either be 8 or 16 marks e.g. 8 + 16 marks or 4 + 8 marks. They could however mix it up e.g.

Question 1) 4 marks of AO1
Question 2) 4 marks of AO1
Question 3) 16 marks of AO2
Original post by prettyugly
What have people used for the breakdown of relationships? I need to write an essay on this so that i can memorise it and i just don't know where to start.. For a 24 marker could i just use the model of breakdown?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's Duck's model you could use and Lee's to contrast :smile: This document is really good, not mine but found it on here haha. Has pretty much everything you need!
Reply 1585
Hey, I'm trying to plan my essay for neural mechanisms involved with control of eating behaviour, and I'm really not sure on which bits to add and how to make it flow - please could anyone help me? :smile:
Reply 1586
Original post by LeaX
I could never do Geography, I used to struggle with it so much at school lol. Ohh nice, well good luck. :smile: I'm sure you'll do really well. I do biology, chemistry and physics as well.

Oh wow :eek: Geography is easy compared to those!
Original post by nks_96
Hey, I'm trying to plan my essay for neural mechanisms involved with control of eating behaviour, and I'm really not sure on which bits to add and how to make it flow - please could anyone help me? :smile:

Hey,
I would use nm786's essay very helpful!

Spoiler

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yj013cobiap17xl/PSYA3+Essays+-+Relationships%2C+Aggression+and+Eating+Behaviour.docx
(edited 10 years ago)
For RM, my book gives two methods under the 'theory construction' section of the specification. There's the induction method (observation -> hypothesis -> test hypothesis -> propose theory based on conclusions drawn from study

and the hypothetico-deduction method (observation -> theory -> create testable hypothesis -> conduct a study to test hypothesis -> draw conclusion from study )

Are we supposed to know both? The differences being whether a hypothesis or theory is developed first.

Another RM question, are we expected to know how to work out results for all the inferential statistics? If so are we expected to know the equations too? Thank you
Original post by Vitzy
Oh wow :eek: Geography is easy compared to those!

They're pretty intense but I don't think I would have been able to handle even GCSE Geography lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1589

Thank you so much! :smile:
Do you think it is better to start with the broken up questions or a 24 marker first? Deciding which would be wiser.
Original post by Student296
Do you think it is better to start with the broken up questions or a 24 marker first? Deciding which would be wiser.

Salaam, answer it in a logical order, makes it easier for an examiner to mark.
(edited 10 years ago)
I wish we were doing the Relationships topic, it looks so much more interesting!
I'm doing Gender, Aggression and Sleep for unit 3 and OCD and Media for Unit 4 :smile:
For psya4 split questions on schizophrenia. Is it possible for a split question to include one psychological explanation for SZ and one psychological therapy for SZ?
Original post by nks_96
Thank you so much! :smile:

No problem. :smile:

Original post by Lord Fifa
For psya4 split questions on schizophrenia. Is it possible for a split question to include one psychological explanation for SZ and one psychological therapy for SZ?

yes its possible.
Original post by LeaX
For RM, my book gives two methods under the 'theory construction' section of the specification. There's the induction method (observation -> hypothesis -> test hypothesis -> propose theory based on conclusions drawn from study

and the hypothetico-deduction method (observation -> theory -> create testable hypothesis -> conduct a study to test hypothesis -> draw conclusion from study )

Are we supposed to know both? The differences being whether a hypothesis or theory is developed first.

Another RM question, are we expected to know how to work out results for all the inferential statistics? If so are we expected to know the equations too? Thank you

They're pretty intense but I don't think I would have been able to handle even GCSE Geography lol.

I think so because (this is drawing up in my knowledge of Research Methods in Sociology as well) Popper's hypothetico deductive method aims for falsification (rather than verificationism) which is what the scientific community uses. I'm not too sure though, I'll look further into that.

(Side note: If you guys think Psychology RM is bad, Sociology RM is a KILLER! There's much more to learn for each method then with Psychology where you just need an descriptions of what occurs and two or three adv/disadv of each. You could get a 33 mark question in the section 'Theory and Methods' in the exam, and even then you have to learn theories in detail as well so RM might not even come up!)

Thankfully, you don't need to actually do the calculations for the infernential statistics. You will most likely be given the table and expected to state whether to reject the null hypothesis or not based on the test statistic compared to the criticial value.

Equations? I assume you're referring to the fact that each statistical test has differing rules on when to accept/reject the null hypothesis based on if the test statistic is higher/lower than the critical value? They usually seem to give that in the exam but I would learn it just in case.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lemonysnicketing
I think so because (this is drawing up in my knowledge of Research Methods in Sociology as well) Popper's hypothetico deductive method aims for falsification (rather than verificationism) which is what the scientific community uses. I'm not too sure though, I'll look further into that.

(Side note: If you guys think Psychology RM is bad, Sociology RM is a KILLER! There's much more to learn for each method then with Psychology where you just need an descriptions of what occurs and two or three adv/disadv of each. You could get a 33 mark question in the section 'Theory and Methods' in the exam, and even then you have to learn theories in detail as well so RM might not even come up!)

Thankfully, you don't need to actually do the calculations for the infernential statistics. You will most likely be given the table and expected to state whether to reject the null hypothesis or not based on the test statistic compared to the criticial value.

Equations? I assume you're referring to the fact that each statistical test has differing rules on when to accept/reject the null hypothesis based on if the test statistic is higher/lower than the critical value? They usually seem to give that in the exam but I would learn it just in case.

Thank you soo much for replying. :smile: Wow, sociology sounds awful. Now I understand why my friends prefer psychology over sociology lol. My teacher is going to be teaching us how to work out all the values for each statistical test, eg for Spearman's rho using the attached equation to calculate rs from the data and then comparing it to the critical. spearmans_rho_formula.jpg I won't bother covering that in revision then, that's a whole lot of stress off my shoulders now haha. :smile:
Reply 1597
for media psychology, is it okay to make reference to the murder of James Bulger by the two boys who were inspired by 'Child's Play'? (for media influences on anti-social behaviour)
Original post by AdzyN
for media psychology, is it okay to make reference to the murder of James Bulger by the two boys who were inspired by 'Child's Play'? (for media influences on anti-social behaviour)

I think you can but you would need to explain how it's applied to the explanations (SLT and deindividuation or others you might be doing).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1599
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has a standard way of structuring their essays at all? I found this structure on a previous post for TSR and I've amended it a little:

A01
- Introduction (3 lines max to introduce the subject).
- Detailed description with examples (always linking back to the question).

AO2
- Supporting research
A03
- Criticisms of this research
- IDA

AO2
- Second supporting research
A03
- Criticisms of this research
- IDA

- Further implications/conclusion.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

Latest

Trending

Trending