The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

I know this is a post about the university of hull, but is essex seen as a dumb place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
The media has portrayed it that way.....and women from Essex are often regarded to be a little 'easy'. That's not my personal opinion, it's what I've heard from others. I was actually considering the University of Essex for a while.
Reply 82
I've been invited to an applicant day for Law at Hull. Are the applicant days not similar, if not the same as the open days?
Reply 83
Original post by mderi2012
Int'l applicant here from Malaysia applying to read Law with Criminology. I hope Hull is a vibrant city to live in and hello all :wink:

I have applied to read Law with criminology too!! :smile: I received my offer 2 days ago!!
I've been invited to one for Business Management too, I think it's like an open day but with a greater focus on your subject and the department. You'll get the opportunity to speak to lecturers and students in depth, and you'll be able to get a good luck around your academic school.
Original post by itsjustsophie
Which language/languages do you study? I've applied for French and Music :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, my actual course is BA German, but they let you add on others in ways if you want. So I'm doing German Advanced, French beginners and Spanish as a free elective, and my 6 modules for my course gets split between the three languages as 3:2:1. The language department is really good here I think, so good choice! Have you been to an open day?
Original post by Kruz
How's the City like in general? And is it easy to find jobs?

You have to pretty much forget anything you've been told about Hull (****hole, rough as anything, horrible etc.) because it's honestly not the case. I mean it's not like the most amaaaazing city, but it's nothing like what I expected. The nightlife is okay, I come from a small town near Derby, so it's definitely a welcome improvement for me, and I've not really heard any complaints from anyone else who come from other cities, but there are quite a few clubs and the uni has it's own club too.
There's okay shopping in Hull, there's St Stephens shopping centre which is where we mainly go, which is smallish and has the more expensive shops, and then Princes Quay centre which has the cheap ones.
There's an artsier area nearer the quayside, which had an artist market one time I went there, and nice cafes and stuff (near the Sugar Mill nightclub).
In general, it's not a bad city, there's enough to do, it feels very safe and there doesn't really seem to be a dodgy area or anything.

I haven't tried to get a job, so I can't really report on that very much, but they had a jobs fair in freshers week, and someone in my flat has a job in a nursery that she found pretty easily.
Original post by FlorenceTheGreat
Hey, my actual course is BA German, but they let you add on others in ways if you want. So I'm doing German Advanced, French beginners and Spanish as a free elective, and my 6 modules for my course gets split between the three languages as 3:2:1. The language department is really good here I think, so good choice! Have you been to an open day?

Yes and I really really liked it. If I do a joint honours course could I split it unequally or would it have to be exactly the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jazzi_H
I have applied to read Law with criminology too!! :smile: I received my offer 2 days ago!!

That is amazing, congratulations! I haven't submitted my application yet (have until Jan 15 as an int'l applicant to do so), still waiting for my PS to be reviewed, but finger crossed. So are you firming it?

What was ur GCSE and A Level like? How long did u have to wait until a response? So excited for you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
That is amazing, congratulations! I haven't submitted my application yet (have until Jan 15 as an int'l applicant to do so), still waiting for my PS to be reviewed, but finger crossed. So are you firming it?

What was ur GCSE and A Level like? How long did u have to wait until a response? So excited for you!

Yeah. Hull is my first choice.
I got 3 A's 5 B's and 2 C's at GCSE. I got BDDDEU at a level. I sent it off on Monday and received my offer online and my letter on Friday. :smile:

What are you hoping to apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jazzi_H
Yeah. Hull is my first choice.
I got 3 A's 5 B's and 2 C's at GCSE. I got BDDDEU at a level. I sent it off on Monday and received my offer online and my letter on Friday. :smile:

What are you hoping to apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law with criminology. Is your offer conditional? I was really hoping to get in to one of those top London unis (QMUL, King's) not so much because of the reputation but I'd really like to visit the Highgate Cemetery and volunteer there, so it's geographically close. But I'm starting to like the idea of Hull. I hear it's quite quaint and what people would ordinarily find depressing, which is basically the type of place I find comfort in.
Reply 91
Law with criminology. Is your offer conditional? I was really hoping to get in to one of those top London unis (QMUL, King's) not so much because of the reputation but I'd really like to visit the Highgate Cemetery and volunteer there, so it's geographically close. But I'm starting to like the idea of Hull. I hear it's quite quaint and what people would ordinarily find depressing, which is basically the type of place I find comfort in.

Yeah, it's 320 ucas points. The lecturers at Hull were all very friendly and ready to help. And I thought that the accommodation there was quite good too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
is anyone going on a chemistry applicant day?
Original post by Jmurrayz
is anyone going on a chemistry applicant day?

I am going to at some point.
Probably not till next year though as I want to go on a weekend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just received a conditional offer for BA History, having applied on the 19th of this month.
I require 300 UCAS points with a B in history.
Hull is most likely going to be my insurance Uni (unless one of the other four offer me an unconditional offer :wink:)
They invited me to an applicant day, however, that is roughly a four hour journey from London so I will not be attending! This does not affect my offer in any way so if anyone was wondering if it does, it does not! :biggrin:
If I get BBB, ABC or A*CC with atleast a B in history, I am in! :biggrin:
Seems like Hull dishes out offers quite quickly. Can't wait to send the application. SO stoked.
Yeah, I actually received my offer on the 22nd, three days after applying. They updated it on the UCAS site on the 25th
Just had an offer from Hull for Education with international teaching, increadibly exited as the course looks brilliant!

Quick Reply

Latest