The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nerd2
Do you guys ever notice the correlation between men and women's fashion, for example monk straps are 'on trend' (have been for some time now) and similar buckle shoes for women are 'on trend' at the moment.

I think fashionbeans posted a interesting article not long ago going into more depth about this.

Yeah, I do come to think of it. There is also the influence of floral prints in both gender's trends recently. Thanks to people like Katie Eary and Etro.

However, especially in winter there seems to be women's lines taking more cues from classic menswear J Crew and Ralph Laurens recent collections. There is definitely a correlation. It might because most houses cater for both genders so it is easier to recycle some designs and either masculinise them of feminise them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 781
Original post by Peachz
I wouldn't wear them with grey. They'll look good with my jeans or brown cords.

Oh yeah of course, whenever I see shoes, instantly think of trousers rather than jeans, yes I can see them be paired with jeans.
Reply 782
Original post by harrybithell196
Yeah, I do come to think of it. There is also the influence of floral prints in both gender's trends recently. Thanks to people like Katie Eary and Etro.

However, especially in winter there seems to be women's lines taking more cues from classic menswear J Crew and Ralph Laurens recent collections. There is definitely a correlation. It might because most houses cater for both genders so it is easier to recycle some designs and either masculinise them of feminise them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah true. I also think most fashion houses realise they have consumers who want be 'on trend', may be in fashion world the boundary between masculinity and femininity is slim in terms of which trends/patterns etc correlate to which gender, as wanting to be 'on trend' is considered more of feminine thing, but in the modern world now, men are just as fashion conscious...
so as you say they may recycle and use the same type of things in both men and womenswear.
Reply 783
Original post by paddy
Well there's two stores in Glasgow no? There's one called in a shopping centre called the Royal Exchange I think? Either way that's the one with the better stock from what I've seen tbh.

For the trousers there's a pair called Bert you might like, and blazer-wise try Sonoma (I have this blazer and it is FIT).

Still no confirmation on sale I'm afraid, might not know til Monday :rolleyes: But I'd assume it's still the 19th in-stores.

Yes I think the Royal Exchange square is the men's and in Princess mall it's women's, I hope I'm wrong!

I'll have a look now

cheers
Original post by Cristocracy

You need some more colours in your wardrobe bro.
Reply 786
Banana Republic have started their Xmas sale today. Seems very early to do that.
Anyone that even contemplated 'taking part' in 'Christmas jumper day' today, what are you doing reading this thread :hand:
Reply 788
What do you guys think of these shoes they look quite diverse so I use them for summer and winter

Reply 789
Original post by diggy
What do you guys think of these shoes they look quite diverse so I use them for summer and winter

I like
Reply 790
Original post by Peachz
Banana Republic have started their Xmas sale today. Seems very early to do that.

I walked past them on Monday, could tell pretty much straight away they were gonna be on sale :mmm:

Some shops were going on sale last week, Hobbs (a women's store) went on sale before December :rolleyes:
Original post by diggy

the mixture of sporty white rubber sole and oxford lacing doesn't work well. the shoes are supposed to be formal/smart, but the sole ruins it.
Reply 793
Original post by kingquang
the mixture of sporty white rubber sole and oxford lacing doesn't work well. the shoes are supposed to be formal/smart, but the sole ruins it.

Thanks something was puttinf me off them but I couldn't put my finger on it

Thankfully they have a pair that's grey with a black sole which looks better and more formal albeit I'll only wear them as part of a smart casual outfit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Way too much unnecessary detailing. I'd avoid if possible.
Reply 796

I haven't made it to coats yet tbh, I'm still sticking to my jackets and layering them up. I do walk like 40 minutes each way to work though so I tend to get pretty warm anyway. For the particularly cold mornings I whack on a wool cropped jacket, but my proper winter coats are still gathering dust :holmes:
Looking for a decent casual blazer, tried the usual river island, moss, topman etc but havent found anything i like.

Any suggestions??

Cheers
Original post by Mr Porter
Nice list of boutique fragrances if you guys are looking to not smell like every other guy out there (cough cough, Paco Rabanne and Hugo Boss). I'm definitely tempted to try some of these out next time I go perfume shopping.

Never heard of any of them. There are thousands of niche brands out there, and the snobbery against designers is so old. You sniff with your nose! Spending crazy amounts doesn't make you smell nicer necessarily. There are many, many outstanding designer fragrances (Prada Amber pour homme, Dior Homme intense -- okay this is popular, but damn does it get compliments, Mulgler Pure Havane or Pure Malt etc) and you can spend a little amount for something amazing.

I think I bought Nautica Voyage when I was 20 or something, for about £15 and that was a damn nice aquatic.

Also how you and your body chemistry handle a fragrance is unique. You will carry a scent differently.

Try rocking Tobacco Vanille (by Tom Ford) that I have on today :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by weeknd5000
Looking for a decent casual blazer, tried the usual river island, moss, topman etc but havent found anything i like.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

zara

Latest