The Student Room Group

Why is it wrong to be attracted to someone because they are wealthy (goldigger label)

Why is it generally viewed as "goldigging" if someone is attracted to someone because they are wealthy.

I mean this attraction could be seen as more endearing than being attracted to someone for there looks.
For example: You don't choose how you look it is a genetic lottery.
- though can be improved with styling, make up etc

But one may have gained wealth through hard work, smart investments, business etc and someone can be attracted to that.

-though yes someone can be "born rich".

But if indeed they have achieved this wealth through hard work etc why is it so wrong for someone to be attracted to that?

This video really got me thinking about it:
Just annoyed because it is usually women who are labelled as golddiggers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iyeUcFKRv4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There isn't anything 'wrong' with it. Its just not a popular thing to do. In my opinion women who do it are just lazy and want to obtain an 'easy' lifestyle through the hard work of someone else.
(edited 10 years ago)
its not wrong, it only becomes wrong when you love the money more than the person who has it.
Because its obviously not the person they love , its their wealth . Is that really hard to understand ? That prank was pure gold .
Reply 4
wealth is an attribute

can't see the issue
Reply 5
Because you should love someone for who they are and not how much money they've got?

You're attracted to pieces of paper and what they can buy you, not the person who owns them.

Not much of a relationship, is it?
Reply 6
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Because its obviously not the person they love , its their wealth . Is that really hard to understand ? That prank was pure gold .

You're conflating being attracted to wealth and only being attracted to someone for their wealth. Most women would rather date a rich guy than a poor guy, but most women would rather date a poor guy who treats them well to a rich guy who treats them badly.

It's the same as when girls say "guys care about looks, not personality". That's not true, we (overwhelmingly) care about both. I wouldn't go out with someone I didn't find attractive, but I wouldn't go out with someone whose personality I didn't think was good either. If I feel I could get both, why would I settle for one or the other?
Reply 7
Original post by IlexBlue
Because you should love someone for who they are and not how much money they've got?

You're attracted to pieces of paper and what they can buy you, not the person who owns them.

Not much of a relationship, is it?

Not only this but it means you're someone who doesn't have the drive to obtain this wealth for themselves and would rather take advantage of someone else's acheivements. Materialistic bull****.

This being said I know someone who wants to be wealthy herself as well as her future husband having to be wealthy which frankly I think is worse in some ways. To me it shows a lack of appreciation for what they have and what they would be capable of providing themselves. Both parties should be willing to go out and earn money but at the end of the day a mutual understanding must be met as to what salary each person seeks to earn. For example, someone may have a passion for a low paying field and therefore there must be an understanding as to whether they should go for that job and the other person should compensate for this. This may also include parenthood.

I grew up in a working class family and I fully appreciate what is required for a happy family life and the two large salaries is excessive quite frankly, more than is required and therefore shouldn't be a priority.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen

Not to mention a lot of wealth is gained due to luck, certain life circumstances etc rather than simply hard graft. Plenty of people work their asses off just to keep a roof over their head, so the notion that wealth is an accurate indicator of hard work ethic is flawed. Plenty of rich people are lazy as.

Also, taking the above into account, the only reason to settle for someone with money is due to ones own desire for an easy life.
Reply 9
Original post by alexs2602
Not only this but it means you're someone who doesn't have the drive to obtain this wealth for themselves and would rather take advantage of someone else's acheivements. Materialistic bull****.

This being said I know someone who wants to be wealthy herself as well as her future husband having to be wealthy which frankly I think is worse in some ways. To me it shows a lack of appreciation for what they have and what they would be capable of providing themselves. Both parties should be willing to go out and earn money but at the end of the day a mutual understanding must be met as to what salary each person seeks to earn. For example, someone may have a passion for a low paying field and therefore there must be an understanding as to whether they should go for that job and the other person should compensate for this. This may also include parenthood.

I grew up in a working class family and I fully appreciate what is required for a happy family life and the two large salaries is excessive quite frankly, more than is required and therefore shouldn't be a priority.

You're making perhaps the most common error on this forum- viewing attraction as rational. A girl doesn't choose to find rich guys sexy, it's an inherent, natural response. She might get with a guy who she doesn't find attractive for his wealth, but that isn't what the question is asking.

I also grew up in a family without much money, and don't have any myself, but if a women isn't attracted to me because I'm poor, that isn't her fault.
Reply 10
Maybe some people are just jealous of successful golddiggers and wish it was them instead...
Reply 11
Original post by ChildishHambino
its not wrong, it only becomes wrong when you love the money more than the person who has it.

This.
Original post by Mankytoes
You're making perhaps the most common error on this forum- viewing attraction as rational. A girl doesn't choose to find rich guys sexy, it's an inherent, natural response. She might get with a guy who she doesn't find attractive for his wealth, but that isn't what the question is asking.

I also grew up in a family without much money, and don't have any myself, but if a women isn't attracted to me because I'm poor, that isn't her fault.

I think the problem is that I'm a very rational and logical person and I don't see it as a attribute/trait that can help maintain a relationship, like looks. I don't see it as a priority with regard to attractive traits.

Being poor is not the same as not having an enticing personality. This is my point. Someone can be devoted to charity work, teaching, something like that and therefore not earn a lot of money but they can have a strong character. I think that in many cases people misunderstand what it is they find attractive. I think in most cases where wealth is involved it's probably passion and drive. These are two fine qualities to have but they're not mutually exclusive with a low paying career. I find passion that isn't for money more attractive than passion for money.
I think the problem is that I'm a very rational and logical person and I don't see it as a attribute/trait that can help maintain a relationship, like looks. I don't see it as a priority with regard to attractive traits.

Being poor is not the same as not having an enticing personality. This is my point. Someone can be devoted to charity work, teaching, something like that and therefore not earn a lot of money but they can have a strong character. I think that in many cases people misunderstand what it is they find attractive. I think in most cases where wealth is involved it's probably passion and drive. These are two fine qualities to have but they're not mutually exclusive with a low paying career. I find passion that isn't for money more attractive than passion for money.

Surely if the women is attracted to wealth, then it will logically help maintain the relationship if the other person is wealthy, in exactly the same way looks do? You could argue it is more stable than attraction to looks, because people tend to get wealthier and less attractive as they get older.

I think people are attracted to drive and passion as well, but that isn't necessarily the same as attraction to wealth.
Original post by Mankytoes
Surely if the women is attracted to wealth, then it will logically help maintain the relationship if the other person is wealthy, in exactly the same way looks do? You could argue it is more stable than attraction to looks, because people tend to get wealthier and less attractive as they get older.

I think people are attracted to drive and passion as well, but that isn't necessarily the same as attraction to wealth.

I didn't mean looks maintain a relationship. I meant like wealth they don't help maintain it. To me only personality can do that.

I know it isn't but I think people confuse the two traits because often wealth is as a result of passion and drive.
Original post by Bloxorus
There isn't anything 'wrong' with it. Its just not a popular thing to do. In my opinion women who do it are just lazy and want to obtain an 'easy' lifestyle through the hard work of someone else.

Where have you been living? Under a rock?
Reply 16
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Where have you been living? Under a rock?

So your saying being a gold digger will make someone more popular?
I don't think so mate.
I didn't mean looks maintain a relationship. I meant like wealth they don't help maintain it. To me only personality can do that.

I know it isn't but I think people confuse the two traits because often wealth is as a result of passion and drive.

I don't think anyone would disagree that personality is definitely the most important factor, but other things can help maintain it. For example, if someone loses their job it often puts stress on a relationship. Though that still isn't what the OP is asking- you can be attracted to someone and not pursue a relationship with them. I've always found crazy girls attractive, but I wouldn't try to go out with them cause, y'know, they're crazy.
I don't think so mate.

I think he is saying that it occurs alot. As in, it's a popular thing in women.
I don't think so mate.

You said "Its just not a popular thing to do" which implies (to me at least) that you think it's not common, even though it is fairly common in today's society. If however, your point is that it won't make someone popular, then i concur

Just a misunderstanding I guess, as your statement could be interpreted in a number of ways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending