The Student Room Group

Creeped out

Today I was out shopping in my hometown in a very crowded street. A random man approached me who was atleast 10 years older than me and started talking to me. I was wearing earphones but still he stopped me and started talking to me. He asked my name and what I do and was flirting very creepily. I pretended like I got a phone call and told him I've to get back to my friends and he asked me to meet my friends and then come back with him to get coffee and he offered to buy me coffee. I just shook my head and walked off and literally left that place and went back home. It was very scary. I'm a 19 year old college student and this man was hitting on me. I was very scared.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1
Today I was out shopping in my hometown in a very crowded street. A random man approached me who was atleast 10 years older than me and started talking to me. I was wearing earphones but still he stopped me and started talking to me. He asked my name and what I do and was flirting very creepily. I pretended like I got a phone call and told him I've to get back to my friends and he asked me to meet my friends and then come back with him to get coffee and he offered to buy me coffee. I just shook my head and walked off and literally left that place and went back home. It was very scary. I'm a 19 year old college student and this man was hitting on me. I was very scared.

Unfortunately uncomfortable incidents can happen and you did right by leaving the way you did without escalating things or provoking the person. It's best to stay in public spaces when uncomfortable incidents happen and would be worth calling someone also - you did well by staying vigilant, though these things are not uncommon.
Why is it such a big deal.he ia obly ten years older
Reply 3
Original post by karl pilkington

It might seem that way to you. But it is a big deal to a 19 year old. He did not seem to be talking to me with the right intentions and it was extremely creepy.
Counterpoint: the guy did come across as a bit of a creep.
Original post by Picnicl
You're an adult. What is wrong with your generation? Do you want to be treat as children until you're about 25? That can be arranged but no alcohol, driving, or higher education until then. It is a normal thing for adults to chat to others. If you don't like the topic of conversation, you just leave/ignore it. If you want to go through life regarding advances from anyone older than you as creepy, then you'll become of the mindset that the world should only or primarily exist for the benefit of your generation. You'll eventually treat generations younger than you as inferior or creepy too because you deemed yourself a special case.

Ok, yes, technically 19 is considered an adult in the U.S., but research shows that the brain is not fully developed until age 25. (*shocking!*) And the point is not about be treated as a child or special, this was a case of inappropriate flirting, which I must point out is very different thing from normal conversation. You don't just walk up to a way younger stranger on the street and start asking their name, etc. What you're doing is distracting from the issue at hand (a random older stranger hitting on them) and making it about a totally different issue. Please have some decency and save your comment for a different thread
On the way home from shopping is NOT a time to engage in a full-on conversation with a creepy stranger. And yes, it would be more appropriate in the workplace because it is beneficial to know your coworkers. NOT ON A BUSY STREET WITH A COMPLETE STRANGER.
Also, age is an important factor in relationships. You must consider the fact that someone 10 years older than you was a full-grown adult when you were still in elementary school.
Finally, yes, this site is based in the UK, but the Internet is international. For, instance, I'm in California, USA. I mentioned the US because I don't know much about laws or when people are considered adults in the UK.
if we were talking face-to-face, this is the part where i would roll my eyes and walk away. some people aren't worth arguing with and i have better things to do with my time than attempt to educate a netizen about the meaning of creepy and why personal feelings of discomfort should be respected.
Original post by MysteryyyGirl86
if we were talking face-to-face, this is the part where i would roll my eyes and walk away. some people aren't worth arguing with and i have better things to do with my time than attempt to educate a netizen about the meaning of creepy and why personal feelings of discomfort should be respected.

Absolutely spot on once again. Sadly you're on PRSOM but I appreciated this post along with the others in this thread.
Original post by Admit-One
Absolutely spot on once again. Sadly you're on PRSOM but I appreciated this post along with the others in this thread.

thx, it really means a lot :smile:
Original post by Gazpacho.
Jesus Christ. We’ve got a thread in which someone is venting about an uncomfortable social situation and it has become a magnet for those with the social intelligence of a brick.

who's the brick?
"insulting and bullying" @Picnicl ever heard of a mirror?
and don't even get me started on "not even the courage to have a username"
your posts are rude and obnoxious and are going to get you reported.
didn't your parents ever tell you that if you don't have something useful to add, don't open your mouth at all? (includes typing)
maybe instead of trolling random users on this thread who are trying to show support and compassion you can reflect on yourself because you must be feeling pretty low to pick on people in this way.
find something better to do with your time dude, and leave us alone.
I love that someone read the first post and thought, “just normal flirting behaviour, no big deal” :smile:
Reply 13
In general I see nothing wrong with this interaction. It is only uncomfortable if one person is poor socially and unable to handle the situation.

It should be acceptable in society to be allowed to go up to anyone and talk. That includes the guy flirting. I'd say based on the post, he didn't really do anything wrong.

The response should just be something like a "sorry, I must go" smile, and leave. Just something entirely non-threatening. Then you move on with your life.

The guy is innocent until proven guilty. For all I know, as I only have the details in the post to go on, he could have been a really nice harmless guy.
Original post by Picnicl
Exactly Shy. What some people on here seem to have forgotten is that part of being a student is the ability and willingness to politely debate. I didn't totally dismiss what the OP had to say - I stated that they didn't owe it to the man to say why they have to go. But just because I didn't get onboard with the ultrafeminist female feelings matter more than male feelings agenda, I got some kind of report against me and even though some of the unfair, awful, insults about me have been deleted by mods, Mysterygirl's holier than though attack remains above. This is incredible that debate is not allowed on a student site. Remember no crime was committed so there is no offence in assessing the situation.

:bored:
yes, and?
hopefully your next post is shorter because it takes up valuable time in my day reading your rants
Just to note that debate isn’t permitted outside of Debate & Current Affairs. If someone posts in Lifestyle/Relationships then they’re generally after advice and empathy. Posts trying to turn it into a debate are liable to get shown the door by the mods. Quite right too.
Original post by Picnicl
You don't seem to realise that 'venting' is a derogatory term meaning someone who is complaining in an exaggerated or unfair way. Many situations are uncomfortable - your comment itself is an uncomfortable exaggeration / distortion of the truth as I see it. The law exists to prevent or punish illegal situations, not uncomfortable ones. Banning flirting in public if the other person isn't immediately reciprocal is a step towards banning any handling of objections.

The problem is that rather than acknowledging that someone has had an uncomfortable situation and is merely venting about it, you seem to be using this thread to grandstand.

If someone is walking down a busy street with headphones on, they are literally signalling to the world that they do not want to be disturbed, not subject to some guy trying to chat her up. If someone feigns a phone call or says they are meeting friends, the person trying to chat her up should take the blatant hint rather than trying to invite himself along. How people get to the adult world with such stunted social intelligence is beyond me, but I'm more than willing to empathise with those who are on the receiving end.
Original post by Gazpacho.
The problem is that rather than acknowledging that someone has had an uncomfortable situation and is merely venting about it, you seem to be using this thread to grandstand.

If someone is walking down a busy street with headphones on, they are literally signalling to the world that they do not want to be disturbed, not subject to some guy trying to chat her up. If someone feigns a phone call or says they are meeting friends, the person trying to chat her up should take the blatant hint rather than trying to invite himself along. How people get to the adult world with such stunted social intelligence is beyond me, but I'm more than willing to empathise with those who are on the receiving end.

Exactly. Imagine not having the social IQ to pick up on someone faking a phonecall to get out of interacting with you. Bananas.
Original post by karl pilkington

Maybe that day she was giving off a vibe that said stay away, and he did not get the memo. Women do have a right to say NO; they do not have to talk just because some man wants to talk to them.
Original post by lyndac64214
Maybe that day she was giving off a vibe that said stay away, and he did not get the memo. Women do have a right to say NO; they do not have to talk just because some man wants to talk to them.

No i didnt mean that i would never aproch soneone or accost them on the street but is is not a big deal him being ten years older

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending