The Student Room Group

Zoology, What Animals do you study? - Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

Hi,
I'm new to TSR. Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask a question on Zoology...
I'm In 6th form and i am considering doing Zoology at Uni, I've been lucking around and at the subject and have an Idea of what you do (Study animal behaviour, habitats, how they communicate etc...). I also know that at some Universities (Not sure if it is at all of them that do Zoology), you can choose what animal you want to study and if they do trips, what country you want to go to. I was wondering, When choosing the Animal, do you pick of a list of animals? Do you do it by Similar Species for example, Study Wild Cats (Lions, Tigers, Panthers etc...) Or do you literally pick an animal for yourself and what country you go to.
If this latter is correct, Would I be able to pick Rhino's? Or are there animals / species that you cannot study?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by JasonLaw
Hi,
I'm new to TSR. Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask a question on Zoology...
I'm In 6th form and i am considering doing Zoology at Uni,....

hey, welcome to TSR :smile:

Thought I'd post to push your Q back up the list and see if anyone has any answers for you....

From what I know (one of my best friends did zoology) you get more and more specific as you go through the course, starting with general biology, then ultimately focusing on researching something very specific about a particular species in your dissertation. He seemed to be able to study pretty much whatever he wanted by the time he got to his third year.

Hope that helps a bit
Reply 2
I did a Zoology degree.

We studied lots of different things throughout the course, such as neurobiology, endocrinology, physiology, cell biology, taxonomy, as well as things like ecology and animal behaviour.

When we chose our dissertation topic we were able to choose a specific area. I did mine on the grooming behaviour of Sulawesi Crested Macaques.

I recommend that you look at the course web pages at the universities you are interested and the module breakdown so you can see the topics which are covered. Each university will have different modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending