The Student Room Group

Zoology graduate interested in post grad entry vet nursing HELP!

Heya guys sorry this is probably going to be a long one but im stuck!
TL;DR - i have a 1st class Zoology degree and not sure how to go about getting into vet nursing

SO i graduated in 2021 with a 1st in Zoology, and planned to take a year out before going back to studying. However a lot of life events kicked off and suddenly its 2024! Ive been stuck between going into conservation, research, or vet nursing for the longest time, but have decided that vet nursing is the most stable and has the most variety - and also is something im interested in! However ive been finding it impossible to get any experience/placements in vets near me (over 20 have said no due to policy reasons), and i have only been able to find 2 volunteer opportunities near me (a doggy day care and a ferret rescue). As awesome as these places have been im worried its not enough! Im currently completing an online Level 3 animal care course and a few other courses (on coursera), but am just feeling stuck.
How do i even apply? Will there be funding available? Will i even get in??
Ive been working as a bar manager for money in the meantime which has not helped for work exp!
Thank you in advance <3
Original post by Ghouligans
Heya guys sorry this is probably going to be a long one but im stuck!
TL;DR - i have a 1st class Zoology degree and not sure how to go about getting into vet nursing

SO i graduated in 2021 with a 1st in Zoology, and planned to take a year out before going back to studying. However a lot of life events kicked off and suddenly its 2024! Ive been stuck between going into conservation, research, or vet nursing for the longest time, but have decided that vet nursing is the most stable and has the most variety - and also is something im interested in! However ive been finding it impossible to get any experience/placements in vets near me (over 20 have said no due to policy reasons), and i have only been able to find 2 volunteer opportunities near me (a doggy day care and a ferret rescue). As awesome as these places have been im worried its not enough! Im currently completing an online Level 3 animal care course and a few other courses (on coursera), but am just feeling stuck.
Ive been working as a bar manager for money in the meantime which has not helped for work exp!
Thank you in advance <3

i have a 1st class Zoology degree and not sure how to go about getting into vet nursing
Oh boy...

i graduated in 2021 with a 1st in Zoology
Congrats

The following are job profiles for vetinary nursing:
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/animal/job-profile/veterinary-nurse
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/veterinary-nurse
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/veterinary-nurse
https://animalowners.rcvs.org.uk/veterinary-careers/i-want-to-be-a-veterinary-nurse/

From the National Careers Website, you appear to have 3 options:

Apprenticeship - very much the cheapest option

College - Level 3 diploma in Vetinary Nursing (not animal care)

Foundation degree or full Bachelor's in Vetinary Nursing

The apprenticeship route is probably the cheapest, but also seems to be the most competitive. College would be the next cheapest, and out of the 3 most likely to get you in from the look of things. You can try to do a second bachelor's or a foundation degree, but you won't be eligible for funding as far as I know (since you already have a bachelor's degree and vetinary nursing is not an allied health profession).

With the college diploma, you might be able to get away with funding it using an Advanced Learner's Loan, but you would need to check with the local offline college and Student Finance. Otherwise, you're likely going to need to fund it yourself - I am guessing something in the region of £3000-4000 for most Level 3 qualifications (not exactly breaking the bank, but still a sizeable sum for anyone earning less than £15k pa), but do check with the college.

Any qualification you take myst be approved by the RCVS and the list of approved courses can be found on the following link (do beware it would automatically start downloading a spreadsheet when clicked): https://www.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/list-of-rcvs-accredited-higher-education-qualifications-in/. If the qualification is not approved, you can't become a vet nurse in the UK (not sure about abroad).

As I don't know your location, you would need to find the nearest place that offers the course you want yourself.

Not sure if you're aware, but your Level 3 diploma in animal care should (might need to check with the college whether it's recognised in the UK and animal care sector) allow you to go into animal husbandry and caring for animals. They just won't be sick animals.

Will you get into the field? That would depend on the individual employer unfortunately; I can't tell you that.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending