The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Just got an unconditional offer for history from Aberdeen today! So surprised and pleased.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
I applied for History at Aberdeen too. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from and what were your grades last year? :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by AlanisMarie
I applied for History at Aberdeen too. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from and what were your grades last year? :smile:

I am from Southport and last year I got: History - A, English Lit/Lang - A, Politics - B, Art - B
Didn't think these would be good enough to get an unconditional offer but I'm not complaining!
Original post by franseuss
I am from Southport and last year I got: History - A, English Lit/Lang - A, Politics - B, Art - B
Didn't think these would be good enough to get an unconditional offer but I'm not complaining!

Congratulations! I don't think my grades will be good enough to get an unconditional but I suppose I'll have to wait and see. I don't have any offers yet :frown:
Reply 184
Congratulations! I don't think my grades will be good enough to get an unconditional but I suppose I'll have to wait and see. I don't have any offers yet :frown:

It's still early, the UCAS deadline still isn't for a couple more days. Where have you applied and what for?
Original post by franseuss
It's still early, the UCAS deadline still isn't for a couple more days. Where have you applied and what for?

I've applied for History at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and Strathclyde.

I'm a Scottish student and only got AABB at Higher in fifth year, which is their minimum requirements - so I'm not feeling hopeful, perhaps I'll get a conditional...
Reply 186
Anyone deferring until 2015? I've applied for Film & Visual Culture and just got my unconditional offer today! Still not sure about Aberdeen but so pleased nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Original post by ivorizzle
Anyone deferring until 2015? I've applied for Film & Visual Culture and just got my unconditional offer today! Still not sure about Aberdeen but so pleased nonetheless.

I had originally applied for 2014 (geology), but now going on a gap year through the Royal Geographical Society, and just received confirmation that they have accepted to defer my offer! Still have to get ABB though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Original post by itsbethaaany
I'm from England and got my offer for Aberdeen before Christmas! Anyone else studying genetics and immunology??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an offer before Christmas and I am from England, albeit I am applying for History.

Congratulations though! Is Aberdeen your first choice? :smile:
Reply 189
I've applied for History at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and Strathclyde.

I'm a Scottish student and only got AABB at Higher in fifth year, which is their minimum requirements - so I'm not feeling hopeful, perhaps I'll get a conditional...

I've applied at Aberdeen for History. Is it your first choice? I am sure you'll get an offer, just stay positive! :smile:
Original post by M!17
I've applied at Aberdeen for History. Is it your first choice? I am sure you'll get an offer, just stay positive! :smile:

Edinburgh would be my first choice if I got an offer, but that would be even less realistic! Have you heard back yet? If not good luck! :smile: Let's hope we both get an offer!
Reply 191
I'm applying to study politics and international relations and I really hope that I get in. I also applied to Glasgow, Dundee, Strathclyde and Stirling for politics, but Aberdeen is the only place where I chose IR as well.

Any other Finns applying to Aberdeen as well?:smile:
Just wanted to drop in and say good luck to you all again :smile:, I'm in my first year at aberdeen so if anyone has any questions or needs a tour guide when they visit, give me a shout!
Reply 193
Original post by GoingToBurst
Just wanted to drop in and say good luck to you all again :smile:, I'm in my first year at aberdeen so if anyone has any questions or needs a tour guide when they visit, give me a shout!

I've got a question for you if you don't mind! :smile:

I'm an international student from Finland and I don't know anyone else who's applying to Aberdeen. How easy was it to meet new people and to make friends? I'm kinda worried that because I'm a foreigner, it's gonna be difficult to get to know native Scottish people and that I might feel left out :/
Original post by Virtahepo
I've got a question for you if you don't mind! :smile:

I'm an international student from Finland and I don't know anyone else who's applying to Aberdeen. How easy was it to meet new people and to make friends? I'm kinda worried that because I'm a foreigner, it's gonna be difficult to get to know native Scottish people and that I might feel left out :/

I found it really easy to make friends to be honest with you, everyone is in the same boat and looking to meet new people, so you won't be left out :smile:. I still live at home so I thought I'd maybe struggle with meeting people, but I've ended up with more friends than my friends in halls because they tend to stick with their flatmates outside uni hours whereas I have a few various groups of friends. You definitely won't be left out for being foreign either, as long as you are willing to make an effort with new people, people will be willing to make an effort with you :smile:.

I'm not sure if someone has set one up or not, but we had a facebook group for the aberdeen freshers last year, I met all of my closest friends on there because we were all doing the same course. We set up a little group chat in march-time and have been close friends ever since!
A freshers facebook page is a good way to meet people on your course and in your flat, if you'll be living in halls.

I'm actually going to be a student4student mentor next year though, which is where the 2nd/3rd/4th year students get grouped up with some first years so that they at least have someone near by and it's someone who has experienced the joys of first year. If you're concerned about meeting people, then I'd definitely get an s4s mentor - they're particularly helpful if they happen to have done the same course as you haha!
Reply 195
Edinburgh would be my first choice if I got an offer, but that would be even less realistic! Have you heard back yet? If not good luck! :smile: Let's hope we both get an offer!

For Aberdeen yes I got one just before Christmas. Edinburgh on the other hand, I haven't heard from yet! It would be tough to overlook Edinburgh though if I did get an offer.

Good luck to you too! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Got my offer for Neuroscience with Psychology :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by GoingToBurst
I found it really easy to make friends to be honest with you, everyone is in the same boat and looking to meet new people, so you won't be left out :smile:. I still live at home so I thought I'd maybe struggle with meeting people, but I've ended up with more friends than my friends in halls because they tend to stick with their flatmates outside uni hours whereas I have a few various groups of friends. You definitely won't be left out for being foreign either, as long as you are willing to make an effort with new people, people will be willing to make an effort with you :smile:.

I'm not sure if someone has set one up or not, but we had a facebook group for the aberdeen freshers last year, I met all of my closest friends on there because we were all doing the same course. We set up a little group chat in march-time and have been close friends ever since!
A freshers facebook page is a good way to meet people on your course and in your flat, if you'll be living in halls.

I'm actually going to be a student4student mentor next year though, which is where the 2nd/3rd/4th year students get grouped up with some first years so that they at least have someone near by and it's someone who has experienced the joys of first year. If you're concerned about meeting people, then I'd definitely get an s4s mentor - they're particularly helpful if they happen to have done the same course as you haha!

That's great to hear! I'm curious though, have you met any other Finns at the university?:biggrin:
Original post by Virtahepo
That's great to hear! I'm curious though, have you met any other Finns at the university?:biggrin:

I actually haven't, come to think of it! I'm sure there are some, haha, I just haven't met any. I know there is a Nordic society that celebrates Finnish independence day though, so I assume there are plenty people from Finland and the likes :smile:.
Original post by ollexandra
Got my offer for Neuroscience with Psychology :smile:

Congratulation! I have applied for psychology but don´t get anything by now...
May I ask when you send in your application and what your grades are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending