The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Airess3
Just firmed Aberdeen for Geology and Physics :biggrin:! So excited!! Now, I just need to meet the conditions :smile:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!! :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by xdsteven
Anyone else firmed for Politics and/or English?:biggrin:

I'm going to firm IR & Politics, but I'm waiting to visit the place in a few weeks before actually clicking the button. I want to be sure - what if the city, dunno, creeps me out and is full of allergens that are deadly for me or something? :biggrin:
Original post by karaoke(:
I just firmed Aberdeen for English and Scottish Literature!! Anyone else?
Really excited, but also scared. :smile:

I have! (Or well, I will, today) it's very exciting :smile:
Hey guys :smile:

my name is Vanessa, I am from Germany and I just firmed Aberdeen (Politics and International Relations). I am looking forward to see you all soon!:wink:

I am a mature student (ahhh I am only 21, I feel so old!), returning to University after 3 years of employment!
Reply 584
I just noticed it says on the university website that their Easter holiday began on March 31st and ends on April 21st. Does that mean that only the students are on holiday? It doesn't mean that the people who make the decisions about offers are on holiday too, right?

I can't wait for another two weeks....
Reply 585
I got an email from the admissions office saying I could go directly in to second year of Economics or then start the joint Econ & IR I originally applied for from the first year. I don't know what to do at all.. Any thoughts?
Original post by Anselmina
I got an email from the admissions office saying I could go directly in to second year of Economics or then start the joint Econ & IR I originally applied for from the first year. I don't know what to do at all.. Any thoughts?

Go for second year! :smile:
Reply 587
Hi!

I got a conditional offer to study Economics with finance (joint honours) and I am really confused of studying it at Aberdeen University or Edinbburgh Napier. It seems that At Napier there are no exams first year and the city seems to be cooler. Although Aberdeen has a much better score!!

PD: I am an international student from Spain!
Original post by Anselmina

First, I'd read through what exactly first year Economics entails - have you studied all the stuff they covered? Would the IR modules interest you enough to repeat the Econ ones, if you already know them?
It would probably be easier to make friends with other wide-eyed, scared freshers. You would experience all the things with people you'd be spending 4 years with. But I'm sure that you'd make friends with second-years too :smile:

However, studying 3 years instead of 4 is tempting too. It depends on your priories. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
Original post by harrietainsley
Go for second year! :smile:

Original post by czechmishaout
First, I'd read through what exactly first year Economics entails - have you studied all the stuff they covered? Would the IR modules interest you enough to repeat the Econ ones, if you already know them?
It would probably be easier to make friends with other wide-eyed, scared freshers. You would experience all the things with people you'd be spending 4 years with. But I'm sure that you'd make friends with second-years too :smile:

However, studying 3 years instead of 4 is tempting too. It depends on your priories. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the input! :smile:

Some Economics students I know from Aberdeen and who also studied Economics in the IB said the first year was very easy for them. But thank you so much for bringing up the social aspect, that didn't occur to me at all. It's true it might be harder to find me place in the social circles if everyone else more or less knows each other..

Still a bit tempted though :tongue:
Reply 590
hi there :smile: i firmed my conditional offer for economics and international relations this week. I'm also an international student from germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 591
Original post by tina111
Hey, last week I travelled to Aberdeen for the Open Day and it was absolutely fantastic !! The campus is very nice, everyone I met was friendly and helpful and they provided us with lots of information. I also attended some "mini lectures" which were really interesting.
I also like the city as is has the perfect size for me. It has everything you would expect of a city but is not too big and crowded.
Concerning your worries about Aberdeen being too expensive I can say that though it seems to be really expensive is buying or renting a house, books, food and cinema is not more expensive as in other cities. With student card, you can go to cinema for 5 pounds :smile: okay... I just wanted to share my impressions with you :wink: Ps: I am also an international student from Germany

Okay, thanks a lot for the info :-) A friend of mine that studies in Edinburgh said that Aberdeen is ranked the 3rd most expensive city in the whole UK and I found a site where you could compare the cost of living in different cities and it said that renting, for example, is 40 % more expensive in Aberdeen than in Dundee.. But yeah, I guess it depends a lot so I'm still probably going to firm Aberdeen!
Reply 592
Original post by Vanilla5892
Hey guys :smile:

my name is Vanessa, I am from Germany and I just firmed Aberdeen (Politics and International Relations). I am looking forward to see you all soon!:wink:

I am a mature student (ahhh I am only 21, I feel so old!), returning to University after 3 years of employment!

Heyyy I might also firm IR & Politics, haven't decided yet whether to choose it or IR & Legal Studies but anyway, what I wanted to say that yay, another mature one!! I'll be 20 when school begins and I'm too feeling so old :biggrin:
Original post by jjesscia
Heyyy I might also firm IR & Politics, haven't decided yet whether to choose it or IR & Legal Studies but anyway, what I wanted to say that yay, another mature one!! I'll be 20 when school begins and I'm too feeling so old :biggrin:

I'll be 20 too, but I honestly don't think that's 'mature' enough :biggrin: We'll be only a couple years older than the regular freshers, I don't think anybody will even notice :wink: The guys in their late 20s though.. The might be a bit more noticeable haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jasminkr
I just noticed it says on the university website that their Easter holiday began on March 31st and ends on April 21st. Does that mean that only the students are on holiday? It doesn't mean that the people who make the decisions about offers are on holiday too, right?

I can't wait for another two weeks....

:eek:

Every time I open my email inbox and see there is a new mail, my heart jumps a beat or two. They really are mind-numbingly slow at making their decisions!
Original post by czechmishaout
I'll be 20 too, but I honestly don't think that's 'mature' enough :biggrin: We'll be only a couple years older than the regular freshers, I don't think anybody will even notice :wink: The guys in their late 20s though.. The might be a bit more noticeable haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've accepted an offer to do Politics and IR as well, was at the open day last week and it was brilliant. The lecture theatre where we were told about the course was amazing!
Reply 596
Original post by tina111
Hey, congratulations ! I alsoapplied for Hispanic Studies :smile: (combined with sociology) and I also have an offer so we might see each other in the same course :wink: Do you already have knowledge of Spanish??

I speak it fluently. :smile: I hope that's not gonna be a problem..
Reply 597
I'm most likely going to firm my offer to study geography and geoscience. I was going to study physics, but I'm probably gonna change it. It seems really interesting. Anyone else going to study that as well?
I firmed politics and anthroplogy a few weeks ago. I also am an international student from France :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 599
Original post by Zelmaey
I speak it fluently. :smile: I hope that's not gonna be a problem..

That's nice! I am also quite fluent but still can improve. My father is from Peru. For 3-4 years we are talking to each other in Spanish. (Before only in german:s-smilie:) and I learned it in school.
Why are you already fluent? :smile:

So we'll meet in the advanced course I suppose :P
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending