The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ladyportacabin

Maybe i've just been scared into being overly law abiding...

Nah I'm with you on this - I'd rather pay £130 than risk having to pay £1000. Definitely.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
yuck didn't realise it was 1000 squid, I definitely wouldn't risk it for that. Being punished in a court room would be nasty as well.
Reply 22
I can't believe they send nasty threatening letters to people that actually have licences though, if they did that to me I'd send them a nasty threatening letter back telling them to get their facts right!!!
Reply 23
Woooah you guys are good!

I just logged on to see whether I had any replies, expecting one or two.. but I get two pages!

Thanks you guys, really appreciate your helpful comments! xxx
Reply 24
zoea85
Ok thanks for your advice people! The white van men sound scary. I might bring my mini TV that I got as a freebee and hide it in the wardrobe or something when the cleaners come! Then if the receptions crap I'll just dump it back home :smile: I guess chipping in for a licence with flatmates is a good idea if people are up for it though!

It's not the cleaners you have to worry about, it's the TV licencing people. This year all my housemates got a letter saying they're cracking down on students and will be able to tell if you're using a tv without a licence.... I think they now have ways of telling without checking the building, some new fangled technology i dont understand no doubt! Seriously, buy a licence, people on campus have been caught in the past.
Reply 25
£130 doesn't seem breakbacking for a whole year of telly, I wouldn't survive without one!!
Reply 26
Aspect
£130 doesn't seem breakbacking for a whole year of telly, I wouldn't survive without one!!

We didn't have a telly til the summer term and i admit i did watch neighbours downstairs but apart from that i really didn't miss it. In fact i sort of preferred not having one - i wasn't keen on it blaring out constantly and we all sat around and talked more without it as opposed to sitting round glazed and transfixed by it when it was there!

But equally some nights it was nice to collapse in front of it.

But yeah, i really didn't miss it, i personally wouldn't pay for a license just for me, we were lucky in that my flatmate's mum bought her one for a present. But when you're not watching any tv you don't see adverts for stuff you're missing so you don't really notice you're missing it, if that makes sense!
I'd miss Eastenders, Sugar Rush and Question Time, but I don't really watch an awful lot else! It works out £2.50 a week. Then again, it might distract me from my work and leaving the house and stuff.
zoea85
I can't believe they send nasty threatening letters to people that actually have licences though, if they did that to me I'd send them a nasty threatening letter back telling them to get their facts right!!!

I did and lo and behold two months later...Another letter telling me that I'm on their list for not having a license and should be preparing for my imminent court date :biggrin: you give up in the end...
Reply 29
misslibby
I did and lo and behold two months later...Another letter telling me that I'm on their list for not having a license and should be preparing for my imminent court date :biggrin: you give up in the end...

and you already had a license/ had no t.v. when they sent you that 2nd letter?? my god that would rile me so much! noone deserves threats like that when they are not remotely guilty! I would report them for harrassment or something, I'd figure something out, the blimmin cheek!!!
Haha, you'll have other priorities, I'm sure. I think they just blanket mailshot areas, it's not a slur on your law abiding name.

Meh, I just ignored mine.
zoea85
and you already had a license/ had no t.v. when they sent you that 2nd letter?? my god that would rile me so much! noone deserves threats like that when they are not remotely guilty! I would report them for harrassment or something, I'd figure something out, the blimmin cheek!!!

Yeah. They are just blanket letters but it's still somewhat...rude if you do have a license. You'll get them even if you don't have a TV as well, everyone in my flat used to get them and only 3 of us even had TV's...
Reply 32
misslibby
Yeah. They are just blanket letters but it's still somewhat...rude if you do have a license. You'll get them even if you don't have a TV as well, everyone in my flat used to get them and only 3 of us even had TV's...

they send LOADS to EVERYONE. noone in my flat had them in teh first two terms and we used to all get them really frequently, and they'd address one to "the communal area of flat ..." as well! you just ignore them though, no point kicking up a fuss they don't care! i just chucked mine away without opening them in the end.
Reply 33
hallucination
Mobile signal depends on where you live. When I was on Orange, I could get reception in East Slope and pretty much all over campus but in Lewes Court 2, it is impossible to get signal without leaning out of your bedroom window.

+1

Latest

Trending

Trending