The Student Room Group

Percentage error: area of triangle

I am having problems with the following question:

"The area of a triangle ABC is calculated using the formula:

S=1/2bcsinA

and it is known that b, c and A are measured correctly to within 1%. If the angle A is measured as 45 degrees, prove that the percentage error in the calculated value of S is not more than about 2.8%."

When I use the equation:

Δ\DeltaS= Sb\displaystyle \frac{\partial S}{\partial b}Δ\Deltab + Sc\displaystyle \frac{\partial S}{\partial c} Δ\Deltac + SA\displaystyle \frac{\partial S}{\partial A}Δ\DeltaA

and subsequently divide by S, I get:

Δ\DeltaS/S= Δ\Deltab/b + Δ\Deltac/c + (cosA/sinA) Δ\DeltaA

and at this point I am totally stuck. What happens to the Δ\DeltaA here? And for the cosA/sinA do I use angle A as 45 degrees?

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lmorrison93

Thanks

I am struggling to read your post

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex

Latex would make it much easier
If you struggle to use the codes, use this editor and copy paste the code it produces within tex tags.
Reply 3
Thanks, I did not know how to do that. Is it now easier to read now?
Reply 4
I am having problems with the following question:

"The area of a triangle ABC is calculated using the formula:

S=1/2bcsinA

and it is known that b, c and A are measured correctly to within 1%. If the angle A is measured as 45 degrees, prove that the percentage error in the calculated value of S is not more than about 2.8%."

When I use the equation:

Δ\DeltaS= Sb\displaystyle \frac{\partial S}{\partial b}Δ\Deltab + Sc\displaystyle \frac{\partial S}{\partial c} Δ\Deltac + SA\displaystyle \frac{\partial S}{\partial A}Δ\DeltaA

and subsequently divide by S, I get:

Δ\DeltaS/S= Δ\Deltab/b + Δ\Deltac/c + (cosA/sinA) Δ\DeltaA

and at this point I am totally stuck. What happens to the Δ\DeltaA here? And for the cosA/sinA do I use angle A as 45 degrees?

Thanks

Much better :smile:

Yes, use 45 for A

Not sure what you mean by what happens to Δ\DeltaA
Reply 5
The only thing I was doing wrong was I was using degrees instead of radians. I got the correct answer. Thanks!
Reply 6
The only thing I was doing wrong was I was using degrees instead of radians. I got the correct answer. Thanks!

Ah right

Any differentiation of trig functions needs radians :smile:
Reply 7
Hi,

Any chance somebody could explain this to me?

I am struggling with a very similar (exactly the same but with 4% error) and am very confused how to go about this.

Many thanks.
Reply 8
Multiply divide by A and then converted A in radian and solve.

Quick Reply

Latest